IGNORED

Garbled Graphics

xybot67

I just took my Colecovision out of storage and found out that the graphics are all messed up. The last time I used it (about a year ago, everything was fine). Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Is there anyone in the Montreal area that could fix it for me or sell me a working one? I am really excited about the new homebrews being developped and need to have a working system.

I just took my Colecovision out of storage and found out that the graphics are all messed up. The last time I used it (about a year ago, everything was fine). Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Ig you are handy with a soldering iron you could try reflowing the joints on the video chip and its associated RAM.

first thing to do is clean the power switch. Removal is the best way, but a quick squirt of an alcohol based electrical cleaner may give a temporary fix.

The problem is the lubricant used on the power switch dries out

Be very careful about putting a soldering iron near anything other than the power switch, Coleco PCBs are very easy to ruin

• Like 1

This happens to me often. In addition to the other member's suggestion of cleaning the power switch, also clean the rest of the inside as well. Air-can the cartridge connector and clean that with alcohol also.

I have found that the power connector is the problem the majority of the time. Removing and inserting the power adapter usually fixes the problem. Maybe someone could shed light on what the permanent fix is for my particular problem?

Also, make sure that the video out cable you are using is of high quality. I switched to one of those Radio Shack gold contact cables and one of those coax connectors (eliminating the RF box) to get a clean picture.

My preferred way is to take the power switch apart, clean the contacts thoroughly with isopropyl, and repack with "dielectric grease" from an auto store.

The last time I did it (about two months ago), I noticed that it could probably be done without desoldering the switch if you were careful. I plan to try that the next time I have one open.

• 2 weeks later...

For ME,garbled graphics was due to cracked solder joints inside and around RF modulator box inside the ColecoVision itself.I reflowed all those joints and problem fixed.Any movement in the cord going into the back of the CV into the RF modulator box would ruin any game in progress with garbled garphics and or blank screen.I did like i said above and that fixed it,on ALL my 3 systems that had the problem.Don't ask why..cus i don't know,i'm hands on,don't know F##k all about theory. ;)

I acquired my first ColecoVision recently and the problem I am running into is that it SEEMS like it takes a few attempts to get the cartridges seated correctly. Often, I insert a cartridge (and yes, I have cleaned the contacts on all the cartridges) and when I switch on I get ONE of the following:

1) The start-up screen, but with garbled text below (title, etc. are missing letters, etc.)

2) A plain, colored screen and some sort of tone or buzz.

3) Nothing at all.

4) A perfect start-up screen and subsequent crystal clear perfect game play.

Thoughts? What could be giving me this trouble???

No one has any suggestions for my problem??? It doesn't appear to be the Power Switch, btw...

I DID,in post #8.While you are playing a game,wiggle the RF cord that goes to TV,especially around where it connects to the back of the CV.If your screen goes wacko,it might be a bad cord or loose connection at the RF modulator box itself.Does that connector have play in it?Mine did,and the slightest touch would garble graphics.Opening up the console,removing the cover on the silver square box and re-flowing the cracked solders in and around box,(the solders that hold box tight)solved that problem.It could also be a loose or bad connection at the power supply at the console end or power end,broken wire(s)in the power cord itself.And the usual dirty,lack of lubrication power switch problem which i have yet to encounter.This is just a suggestion based on my experience.I have the missing letters and scrambled graphics on start up quite often which i attribute to an aging system.I just re-insert cartridge,which solves that problem.Sorry i cant help more,good luck! ;) ;)

Edited by Rik

I had this same problem with my Colecovision which I just fixed this morning. All I did was removed the cover and give the power switch a couple of blasts of canned air. I then used some alcohol (some game cleaner I bought) and cleaned it out with a Q-Tip as well the cartridge connector. I also gave the carts another good cleaning. Now it works perfect!

The only issue I'm having now is with controllers. I have 8 of them and most of them work pretty well. I took them apart and cleaned them but nothing really changed. Now I assume that both of the side fire buttons do or should do the same thing? For instance on Donkey Kong only the left fire button will jump, the right fire button does nothing. I would expect it to also jump, is this correct?

The only issue I'm having now is with controllers. I have 8 of them and most of them work pretty well. I took them apart and cleaned them but nothing really changed. Now I assume that both of the side fire buttons do or should do the same thing? For instance on Donkey Kong only the left fire button will jump, the right fire button does nothing. I would expect it to also jump, is this correct?

No, actually. Your controller seems to be working correctly. If you have "Spy Hunter," try it out on that game. The right button fires your car's machine guns, while the left does nothing. It just depends on the game.

No, actually. Your controller seems to be working correctly. If you have "Spy Hunter," try it out on that game. The right button fires your car's machine guns, while the left does nothing. It just depends on the game.

Ah thank you. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

I'm severely lacking Colecovision games. I have a few extra Intellivision games CIB that I'd be willing to trade for Colecovision games if anyone is interested.