IGNORED

Annoyed by E.T. haters online!

JacobZu7zu7

Why is it that everywhere I look youtube, web pages or whatnot,

I see all kinds of posts that E..T is the worst 2600 game,..

or worst game ever made...

I read one comment that the game made this guy wanna put a gun to his head.

ok ,first of all people.. this IS Atari 2600...

and E. T. doesn't stand out to me to be any worse then the average game for Atari's standard.

I actually like it, I don't find the "falling in wells" to be a legit argument for the game "sucking worse then anything.",

hell, at least there's something IN the wells.. and you need to go in them to win the game,

would be different if the wells were useless and just killed you when u fall in then there's something to

REALLY complain about...

but wells are easy to deal with, just raise E. T.'s head 1/2 second after you accidentally fall in the well...

and boom ur out! who cares!!?? I don't. any gamer who has any talent at all, can move around the wells with practice.

everyone in the world...can praise Kaboom!, even if the bombs are flying so fast u can't even think or blink.

no one says, god the bombs drop so fast this is the worst game ever made... blah blah...

cause that's what kaboom is about fast as hell action, love it or leave it.

E. T. is a game which is like no other for Atari 2600. It was ahead of it's time,

in terms of game play. The game was Nintendo and Sega like...! just in a smaller/minimal 2600 kinda way.

I guess some players would rather have E. T. collect candy in a pac-man clone maze game,

with scientists and doctors chasing him around the maze. No thanks that's what pac-man itself is for...

no need for another rip-off. right?

people just need to jump on the hate-band wagon don't they? I bet many of this Internet people

weren't even alive in 1982.. and think they have something to say about a game they might not even have played.

I don't think original Atari 2600 gamers had a problem with E. T. well, certainly not to the point of fake suicide jokes... its just, without the manual.. if you didn't read it u were lost... and end up playing missile command instead.

lol.

I first played E. T. at my cousins house in 1988. I liked it but there was no manual ,

so I was lost didn't know what to do,

luckily 11 years later Internet had Atari sites existed and I found the instructions... and I read them

played e.t. and realized, this is a decent game! yeah its got a few flaws... but I know what im doing...

whoo hoo.. and then I won it. :)

tired of these random people who claim its the reason Atari went under, or caused the video game crash of 1983...

well, I highly doubt it... pitfall was released 2 months earlier then E. T....

and everyone loved that one, why would E. T. end the game market?? because ET was wasn't *the game of gods*

well pitfall and other great 2600 games made in '82 shoulda' helped save the game crash of '83....

Urban Champion was awful one of the early NES games, but it didn't stop Nintendo. Why would E.T. kill Atari game sales or the whole video game market of 1983?

Now I'm going to ask, the gamers that were around in the year 1982-83 that were aged 8 or older.

What do you think made the sales of video games drop dramatic in 1983?

Was it the personal computers like Commodore starting to appeal and push aside Atari, Odyssey, etc?

They're bloody f-ing idiots that's why. Hate to break it to the tweens in agreement, but E.T. back in the day was NOT heralded as the "worst" Atari game ever. Nor did it cause the fall of video games et al. Funny how some goofballs without a clue can re-write history and get away with it. Ahem.... that's been going on for decades in public schools. lol

Seriously, the number one reason E.T. is, or might have been, considered "bad" is because a younger generation was forced to actually read a bloody manual before comprehending what you were supposed to be doing in the game! End of line.

NONE of us bitched about this or Raiders of the Lost Ark back in the day. If you did, you were merely a simpleton. A little girl with wet pantyhose as it were and I would have been the type to knock you on the ground and take the Little Debbies out of your Star Wars or He-Man lunchbox. lol

Edited by save2600

You know what game(s) seriously sucked back in the day? The Swordquest series. Yeah, talk about hype and worthless gameplay. I had both the commons and felt ripped off the second I popped them in. Comparatively, E.T. is a very playable, rewarding and gratifying game - period.

Other 2600 that totally sucked were the "real sports" series. Complete and utter garbage compared to what was out at the time across various systems.

Again - only the lonely tiny toon adventures that weren't there back in the day and think the internet is God's greatest gift to man believes E.T. is the worst game ever. I wouldn't even qualify these types as gamers. More like lamers :lol:

• Like 1

I got E.T. back in the day for my system. I HATED IT. I hated it then, I still hate it now. If you like it, cool, but like Random Terrain is always trying to do, don't try to convert people over to your evil, evil ways. E.T. lovers eat babies and kill puppies you know! A game doesn't get the "worst ever" tag for nothing, you know. There has to be something seriously wrong with a game for it to get that designation. Now, personally, I don't think it's the worst game, and not even the worst game for the 2600. The graphics were pretty nice for it's time, and the music was passable, equal at least to anotehr H.S.W. game, Raiders of the Lost Ark. But it DOES suck, sorty to say, guys. And, if the rumor is ever truly confirmed, there is NO other game that was deemed shitty enough to simply toss into a hole and fill in with concrete.

• Like 1

I remember being suprised the first time I saw how universally reviled E.T. is online. It was far from my favorite Atari game, but I did enjoy it and I've probably completed the game a few dozen times. Come to think of it, it's at least somewhat similar to another game people seem to dislike - Superman. That one's a little worse, but I still think it doesn't quite deserve its reputation. Once you get past the weird glitches, there's a somewhat enjoyable game in there.

You know what game(s) seriously sucked back in the day? The Swordquest series. Yeah, talk about hype and worthless gameplay. I had both the commons and felt ripped off the second I popped them in. Comparatively, E.T. is a very playable, rewarding and gratifying game - period.

Other 2600 that totally sucked were the "real sports" series. Complete and utter garbage compared to what was out at the time across various systems.

Very well said ... I agree the Swordquest games were widely distributed like E.T. but unlike E.T. they were really difficult nearly impossible! I have to say I do like the Mini-games on them... but that doesn't do much for the Swordquest series as a whole. As for the Real Sports... I do like

Tennis and Volleyball but Football and Baseball were far below average at the time.

As for the looney tunes on youtube lol... yeah if they hate E.T. to the "degree" they do,

Atari 2600 is NOT for them, sorry... but it's the truth.

I got E.T. back in the day for my system. I HATED IT. I hated it then, I still hate it now. If you like it, cool, but like Random Terrain is always trying to do, don't try to convert people over to your evil, evil ways. E.T. lovers eat babies and kill puppies you know! A game doesn't get the "worst ever" tag for nothing, you know. There has to be something seriously wrong with a game for it to get that designation. Now, personally, I don't think it's the worst game, and not even the worst game for the 2600. The graphics were pretty nice for it's time, and the music was passable, equal at least to anotehr H.S.W. game, Raiders of the Lost Ark. But it DOES suck, sorty to say, guys. And, if the rumor is ever truly confirmed, there is NO other game that was deemed shitty enough to simply toss into a hole and fill in with concrete.

You say that a game doesn't get "worst ever" tag for nothing??

Well this is surely an acception.

Most did not like the E.T. game, probably because

they didn't have "instructions" anymore or tossed them out without reading.

I heard stuff like... ~E.T. looked cool,but I didn't know how to play!!~

That was what I thought too at first... I myself

often lost the manuals to my games when I was a kid and didn't read them often.

So... being Atari games and all... 90% don't require a manual read before playing.

E.T. did, and this could have been most of the issue with people,

at least it should be...

I bet this was what the "original" dissapiontment on E.T. was REALLY about.

It wasn't cause the gameplay was so damn hedious like Double Dragon also on 2600 or

Back to the Future for the NES. THOSE are disasters... not E.T.

Now I'm not saying E.T. has to be awarded the best 2600 game... but fans

of Atari should see it for what it is. Realize how the Atari system is " far limited"

to later consoles and to rate it according to OTHER 2600 games. Not to NES/SEGA/PLAYSTATION.

I can say you can do a lot worse then E.T. especially in the 2600 game library.

Try Laser Blast by the great game designer David Crane...

anyone anyone?? Now there's some pain for ya.

LOL, well I'd rather be told a game is good and have someone tell me valid reasons why, then listen to

loads of people complain about how bad a game like e.t.. is... and have it come from a dishonest place.

Young people now, they just want to be trendy and funny with nasty sarcasm, (really taking it too far these days) and complain (pretend) to make mistakes in the e.t. game

and call it honest frustration... I even saw a video where a guy pretened to get stuck between two screens

I never got stuck moving E.T. around?? LOL, only time it happened was when one of the bad guys tried to take E.T. back

to their headquarters. The screen took an extra second or two to drag E.T. but that always fixed itself.

and doesn't effect the gameplay, score, or anything. This type of thing happened a lot with old computers and video games...

their call BUGS.' Right?

If you don't like it thats just fine... of a video game that aren't even

With the games instructions in front of you, this does not quality as the worst game ever.

Yes, some games require a manual before playing them, that doesn't mean a game sucks cause it

can't be played without one. As for passing evil, or making people like E.T. I have no intention to

change someones mind, you can't really when people follow the crowd, or don't think for themselves.

I'm just here stating my own opinions, and I got legit ones. I do hope someone can read what I say about E.T.

and agree, or fans of the game Adventure can try E.T. (if they haven't yet) and like it for themselves.

PS

the remaining carts where tossed in a hole, because Atari made far too many copies of the game to even be sold on the market.

they needed to get rid of them somehow, it wasn't a ritual killing of a bad or evil game ok lol.

I remember being suprised the first time I saw how universally reviled E.T. is online. It was far from my favorite Atari game, but I did enjoy it and I've probably completed the game a few dozen times. Come to think of it, it's at least somewhat similar to another game people seem to dislike - Superman. That one's a little worse, but I still think it doesn't quite deserve its reputation. Once you get past the weird glitches, there's a somewhat enjoyable game in there.

I like Superman. People don't like this one either??

I thought the programmers did just fine. Not an easy game to make in 1980.

Only thing that I didn't like was the city terrain was confusing, I couldn't find

the correct area but that's what mapping is for. ;)

e.t. haters are just silly. especially these kids who want to bash it because its cool to do so. if you weren't old enough to play it in the context of the era it was released, you shouldn't be so hard on the game. because back then, it was a pretty cool game. i was there. i loved it then. i love it now.

There are a few reasons its hated by the unwashed masses...

• It's a complex game on a system dominated by pick-up-and-play games. Joe Sixpack doesn't like oddballs, especially ones he can't beat up after school.

• You are punished for your mistakes by being made to wait as you levitate out. That's a double-whammy for Joe Sixpack, who doesn't learn from his mistakes and has the patience of a toddler.

• You need to read instructions. Joe doesn't like to read anything but the sports section of the newspaper and playboy magazines. Even then he moves his mouth as he reads.

• Its a game that takes skill. Joe likes to shoot the other tank in combat when there's nobody else around. It gives him a real sense of accomplishment.

I agree that E.T. was definitely ahead of its time. Superman too!

Edited by RevEng
  • Like 1

• It's a complex game on a system dominated by pick-up-and-play games. Joe Sixpack doesn't like oddballs, especially ones he can't beat up after school.
  • You are punished for your mistakes by being made to wait as you levitate out. That's a double-whammy for Joe Sixpack, who doesn't learn from his mistakes and has the patience of a toddler.
  • You need to read instructions. Joe doesn't like to read anything but the sports section of the newspaper and playboy magazines. Even then he moves his mouth as he reads.
  • Its a game that takes skill. Joe likes to shoot the other tank in combat when there's nobody else around. It gives him a real sense of accomplishment.

I love superman, one of the underappreciated games on the system IMO.

That was perfect Rev.! So true this Joe Sixpack that easily makes up the majority of people in this country.

Do you want to bet? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGcE7IudRKE

Edited by brandondwright

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

Well, fuck me then.

Seriously, though, that is kind of awesome in a really offensive sort of way. Kind of like the Hitler game from Code Monkeys. I mean, what a conversation piece!

E.T. still sucks sweaty homeless guy balls, though. Defend it all you guys want, but you'll never convert me.

Yeah, I knew the landfill thing was from an overproduction run (damn, damn arrogant on Atari's part), but you figured that Atari would have the brains to REUSE the shells or something.

And it's not NEAR as complex as Raiders of the Lost Ark. Joe Sixpack kind of liked that one, I think, as I believe it was a best seller, yes? Something over a million copies? So, I guess Joe Sixpack does have a thing for complex games after all.

I'm not sure that is a case of units-sold=popularity-of-the-game instead of units-sold=popularity-of-the-licensed-name, but if sales figures are to be the judge, then E.T is one of the most popular games!

Quothe the 'pedia...

E.T. met with initial commercial success. It was among the top four on Billboard magazine's "Top 15 Video Games" sales list in December 1982 and January 1983. The game eventually sold 1.5 million units, becoming one of the best-selling Atari 2600 titles.
Edited by RevEng

I had a co worker tell me just the other day how E.T. was the worst Atari game ever made. This dude does not even own an Atari, I started asking a few questions about the gameplay and he looked at me with a puzzled face and said "you just keep falling in those stupid pits! What idiot designed a game with a pit every few steps!" When I told him you actually need to fall in the pits to get the phone pieces, etc.. he looked as if he had no idea what I was talking about. I dropped it since we work together but I seriously doubt this dude has ever played the game after questioning him, seems like people just jump on the bandwagon and hate on E.T for no reason, poor little E.T., he just wants to go home... :sad:

E.T. still sucks sweaty homeless guy balls, though. Defend it all you guys want, but you'll never convert me.

"You'll never convert me! I'm Uncoordination Man!"

"Yes, it's Uncoordination Man - strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far below those of mortal men. Uncoordination Man - who can follow the course of mighty rivers, trip over steel with his bare feet, and who, disguised as 2600Lives, mild mannered user of a great metropolitan web site, fights the never ending battle for newbie-ishness, unproficiency, and the inflexible way."

:D

I have said it before, I will say it again: I think ET was a wonderful, and generally balanced game. Raiders was TOO cryptic and crazy, and Yars' was very simple, but deep within that quick snappy gameplay. Compared to non HSW games, it is still a perfect balance of speedy twitch gameplay, to avoid the NPC's and the pits when you don't want to fall into them, a hint of mystery as you never knew where the phone pieces and flower were, and strategy in using the power zones, and it is actually a challenge to complete, until you get used to it. but unlike other games you can just play forever, the game doesn't get boring as easily to me...

So, there ya go, my thoughts. Those kids online who bash it all just mindless sheep who want to jump on the bandwagon.

I have played both the Swordquest series ( all of them and never completed any of them ) and E.T. By FAR E.T. is one of the WORST 2600 games I have ever played. At least the Swordquest games (WW, FW, EW) are a tiny bit fun. I would rather play racquetball 2600 than E.T. Seriously not fun in any way. I have read quite a few reviews on this game and I agree with them, the pits are repetetive, frustrating, and boring. I will never understand how some folks think this is a fun game.

• Like 2

. . . until you get used to it. but unlike other games you can just play forever, the game doesn't get boring as easily to me...

If people want more of a challenge, they can play with

, but even at normal speed, the phone home zone can be in such an out-of-the-way place that it can still be hard for an 'expert' to get E.T. home once in a while. When that happens, it's almost like playing for the first time. That unsure excitement is back. You might have been getting cocky there for a while, but you start to seriously wonder if you can get E.T. home this time. It's not looking good. After getting E.T. back home thousands of times before, how could you lose? You finally get E.T. back home at the last second, but it wasn't easy. You had to fight your way to the finish. Makes you want to play again and keeps you coming back because you never know how a round will go, no matter how many times you play. Edited by Random Terrain

. . . the pits are repetetive, frustrating, and boring. I will never understand how some folks think this is a fun game.

And I will never understand why so many people say that about the 'pits'. You only have to jump into 3 wells. That's 3 as in 1, 2, 3 wells. If you're jumping into more wells than that, you don't know how to play, so you're going to think the game is boring and frustrating.

If I play the arcade game Pac-Man without using the power pellets, I'm missing half the fun. I'll say the game is boring and frustrating with those monsters always chasing me. All I do is eat stupid dots that slow me down and get chased by monsters. What a crappy game! If you take a few minutes to learn how to play, the game might end up not sucking as much.