IGNORED

Altirra w/VBXE emulation

phaeron

Looking good... TBH first chance I've got to check it out for a while.

Just one thing I've quickly noticed, re warmstart of VBXE:

Any write to $D080-D0FF should "warmstart" VBXE, that's not currently happening, ie you press Reset and colourmap will still be active. Since the normal OS cold/warmstart zeroes all the legacy $Dxxx areas, it happens automatically on a real machine.

@Phaeron, are there any compatibility disadvantages to always having Vbxe always ticked?

Mostly, no -- the ANTIC and GTIA cores are still the same. The main thing that doesn't work is NTSC artifacting, since the NTSC artifact engine can't handle the 14MHz output from the VBXE back-end.

You don't want to enable VBXE all the time, though, because the VBXE renderer is much slower than the regular GTIA renderer. It slows down the emulator to about half speed. Without optimizations, this will get worse when attribute map collision is implemented.

I am trying to trace the odd behaviour of the S2 driver. Hence the question, phaeron: which core type is emulated? A or R?

Whichever one overlaps RAMBO memory with RAM at VBXE $40000-7FFFF.

So this is R. News for you: the MEMAC B banks are mapped improperly onto RAMBO banks. This is why S2 doesn't work (it overwrites SDX code residing in an ext bank) and this is why SysInfo identifies the core (improperly) as "A". They should correspond one to another the following way:

MEMAC B $10 $11 $12 $13 $14 $15 $16 $17 $18 $19 $1A $1B $1C $1D $1E $1F
PORTB 	$EF $EB $E7 $E3 $CF $CB $C7 $C3 $AF $AB $A7 $A3 $8F $8B $87 $83

Edited by drac030

Changes:

Phaeron, your emulator is my #1, mostly because of internal debugger :)

Do you plan to add an option to load symbols for the running program? It would be very useful.

The second question/feature request is about palette files. Do you plan to support it?

I can't support palette files, because the artifacting engine relies on knowing the luma/chroma separation of the palette. That's why I added the Adjust Colors dialog instead.

phaeron: there is some small problem with handling the "H:" device. Once cold booted, it is there, but a warm start removes it :)

Try this version... should fix H: on warm reset and also the VBXE <-> RAMBO mapping:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.5-test14.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.5-test14-src.zip

Try this version... should fix H: on warm reset and also the VBXE <-> RAMBO mapping:

You are a machine, phaeron! How can you crank out these revisions and fixes faster than any of the other A8 emulator maintainers? I think your work is going to become the A8 emulator of choice very soon!!! Keep up the awesome work!

Does this emulator support Rtime8 cart. SDX needs the jiffy.sys to make my program work. But my config.sys is set to initialize rtime8.sys. I know I can set up multiboot folder with SDX 4.42 but I would prefer not.

Thanks,

It does now:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.5-test15.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.5-test15-src.zip

(Would have been easier to implement were it not for the @ SDX detection routine writing to the week counter.)

I also added support for an alternate burst I/O mode that works with the SDX disk routine... use with caution, though. It's much faster and safer to use DEVICE SIO /A in your CONFIG.SYS with SIO acceleration enabled.

• Like 1