IGNORED

My prediction for where collecting will be in 2020

homerwannabee

3 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I think I've said this before. The Atari 2600 and other consoles will be recreated down to the last atom in a highly realistic holographic-style virtual world. No emulation will be required because these consoles will be exact copies of the real thing. They will look, sound, smell, and act as expected without lag or other problems. You'll also be able to "print" them physically if you want to deal with finding space for them. Most people will choose the virtual option.

Someone read/watched Ready Player One

3 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

Someone read/watched Ready Player One

Nope. Haven't read it or watched it yet. We don't need a book or a movie to know what's going to happen. Also, some people say that we're already in a holographic computer simulation. We might even be in a simulation in a simulation in a simulation in a simulation in a simulation, so why not copy how the simulation works and make our own simulation?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Keatah said:

I don't know if there is any social experience with fortnite. Not in the traditional genuine sense. It's all 13-yr olds gabbing and swearing.

The Atari VCS had far more social experience than any of these multi-player online games could ever have. We all got into room and read books, did board games, told stories, made BMX plans, built electronics together, and more - all while waiting our turn at the console. The VCS bought us together, and other things just happened in concurrence.

That doesn't happen with fortnite or whatever is popular now.

I pretty much agree with this. Heaven forbid that people get together in one room and actually socialize. The online "socialization" has replaced real socialization for many though. That is whole other can of worms that goes behind gaming.

7 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I think I've said this before. The Atari 2600 and other consoles will be recreated down to the last atom in a highly realistic holographic-style virtual world. No emulation will be required because these consoles will be exact copies of the real thing. They will look, sound, smell, and act as expected without lag or other problems. You'll also be able to "print" them physically if you want to deal with finding space for them. Most people will choose the virtual option.

Hmmm... 3D holographic Adventure in the family room. This only works for me with the original graphics.

I hope couch co op comes back as a norm at some point. I’m not sure why parents are allowing their kids to play multiple hours of an online “anti-social” game everyday. I’m going to say poor parenting. As for couch Co op gaming with friends I’m cool with that as a Dad for 45 min to an hour a day.
I don’t think more than 45 to an hour of gaming everyday is healthy for most people, especially people under 18 years of age with developing brains.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 11:33 PM, jaybird3rd said:

Those who currently have the most mainstream influence on the perception of video game history, and thus on the priorities of video game collectors, tend to be younger people who came in during or after the NES.  This is a pet peeve of mine that I've complained about before, but their perspective is highly Nintendo-centric: to them, the NES is the be-all and end-all of classic video gaming, the first console that really "got it right."  With the exception of a few significant arcade games, everything before the NES is seen as a mere litany of early failed experiments and evolutionary dead-ends, only worth revisiting today for the purpose of considering the necessary historical mistakes which made the NES possible.

The issue is the under 20's also buy into the NEStalgia, I'm fully aware that in the states, any major review of gaming skirts across the early days till the NES comes out, Sega barely gets a mention (and usually its pre-NES stuff too) and then its Nintendo-Nintendo-Nintendo. In the UK, you tended to get documentaries on long lost Amiga names of "back in the day" developing or composing, which is embodiment of how video games and also just working with computers was perceived on this side of the pond. Despite the pride and history of the likes of spectrum, amstrad(!) and amiga, and the upstart/bedroom developer culture, you are more likely to hear about the NES in teens.

14 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

You joke, but I think many of us will be itching for a TV printer old spec enough to play this hardware that will still work in 50 years time without the use of various adaptors!

• Like 1

You joke, but I think many of us will be itching for a TV printer old spec enough to play this hardware that will still work in 50 years time without the use of various adaptors!

I can see CRTs coming back in the next 15-20 years because the supply will dry up. I would love a high quality CRT with HDMI/Component like my plasma.

9 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I can see CRTs coming back in the next 15-20 years because the supply will dry up. I would love a high quality CRT with HDMI/Component like my plasma.

Given that production has ceased completely on CRT tubes, prices are already starting to rise on desirable CRT kit. Professional and broadcast monitors are already well into the $100's. Dual/tri/true multisync monitors are bonkers money, even boggo Commodore and Atari branded stuff are creeping up. If you ever think you're going to want a CRT, grab one now. You can still get domestic Trinitrons and VGA monitors for next to nothing, and if you keep your eye out on the whatever the local version of Gumtree in the States, there's always someone getting rid of something. It's still possible, if you're patient, to build up a bit of a collection for very little money so you have some spares.

Given that production has ceased completely on CRT tubes, prices are already starting to rise on desirable CRT kit. Professional and broadcast monitors are already well into the $100's. Dual/tri/true multisync monitors are bonkers money, even boggo Commodore and Atari branded stuff are creeping up. If you ever think you're going to want a CRT, grab one now. You can still get domestic Trinitrons and VGA monitors for next to nothing, and if you keep your eye out on the whatever the local version of Gumtree in the States, there's always someone getting rid of something. It's still possible, if you're patient, to build up a bit of a collection for very little money so you have some spares.

It’s going to be strange when CRTs become a retro gaming status symbol. 30 years from now most people won’t even know what a CRT looks like. I think I need to go find a couple more Trinitrons while they are cheap.

I’m sure OLED tech will be pretty amazing by then, or something even better.

5 hours ago, adamchevy said:

It’s going to be strange when CRTs become a retro gaming status symbol. 30 years from now most people won’t even know what a CRT looks like. I think I need to go find a couple more Trinitrons while they are cheap.

I’m sure OLED tech will be pretty amazing by then, or something even better.

I've got one available, though it's VGA. ;) Down in Burbank if anyone is nearby, will let it go cheap.

At least I think it's Trinitron... it's the earlier flat screen tech. I should go take a look at it and plug it in.

• Like 1

I've got one available, though it's VGA. atariage_icon_wink.gif Down in Burbank if anyone is nearby, will let it go cheap.

At least I think it's Trinitron... it's the earlier flat screen tech. I should go take a look at it and plug it in.

If I was within 2-3 hours of Burbank I would come pick it up.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:15 AM, Random Terrain said:

Admittedly, I am out of the loop these days.  I have not read this entire thread, so what I post may have been mentioned before...

I tried Virtual Reality for the first time yesterday and only for a few minutes.  It was impressive, but I was using a public set and it stunk like other peoples' faces.  Yech!

Anyway, I don't remember how I saw RT's comment yesterday, but I thought it was interesting.  Today I saw a video posted in a subreddit.  The comments said that there are better environments (smoother moving) available, but I could see myself really getting into a VR classic arcade if the controllers were correct.  Here is the video:

Of course, as I mentioned, I wasn't a big fan of sharing or wearing the set on my face.  Again, I am late to the game on a lot of this stuff, but I saw this old hologram video online the other day and the technology, though extremely expensive, seems to be progressing rather nicely.  As the tech improves and prices decrease, a holographic arcade seems possible.  

I listened to a podcast a few days ago about the Replika AI.  I was intrigued and went and signed up.  It has been an interesting experience so far, but I think there is a ton of room for improvement.

I think it would be pretty cool if the AI could be taught to play and compete with you in a virtual arcade... learning to play and progressing over time.  

While I am dreaming...

It might be interesting if scientists came to understand consciousness along the way and eventually experiment with transferring consciousness to a holographic body.  I've seen video about holograms that you could touch.  With consciousness controlling these holograms, they might be able to manipulate the physical world.  I'm imagining holograms that are beamed down by satellite.  Perhaps, in this form, ours and other species might survive the next mass extinction event and witness and perhaps even transform the world or universe beyond the scope of life as we know it now.

/edit/

I suspected the whale hologram was fake:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/7d-hologram-whale-video/

Anyway, it still kind of illustrates what might be possible in the future.

Edited by cm5vam9mbHRy