IGNORED

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

CRV

• Arkyology (unreleased) (Sparrow) Paul Walters, George Hefner, Rick Harris (programming); Barb Ultis (graphics)
  • Dazzler [unitronics Expander] (unreleased) (Unitronics)
  • Those Little Buggers [unitronics Expander] (unreleased) (Unitronics)
  • Treasure Hunt [unitronics Expander] (unreleased) (Unitronics)

I did not know, interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaKjjGUzgeo

• Like 1

Yes, we worked with Unitronics and made three games for the "Unitronics Expander" ( http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/expander.html) btw: That second picture is actually me holding the joystick! It was taken at the 1983 CES in Las Vegas for a last-minute flyer. The three games pictured are "Treasure Hunt", "Dazzler", and "Those Little Buggers" ( I *REALLY* hated that name).

After reading this thread again, this nugget jumped out at me. If Paul is still around, I'd love a little more info on this.

Did they have a working prototype and if so, who might still have it? Was there a specs sheet to help in developing games for it?

Do the 3 games exist somewhere still? Some of the talented people on Atariage could probably figure out how to get them to work.

After reading this thread again, this nugget jumped out at me. If Paul is still around, I'd love a little more info on this.

Did they have a working prototype and if so, who might still have it? Was there a specs sheet to help in developing games for it?

Do the 3 games exist somewhere still? Some of the talented people on Atariage could probably figure out how to get them to work.

Don't wanna derail, Waggie.....Birthday Mania, please.....

• Like 1

Don't wanna derail, Waggie.....Birthday Mania, please.....

I hear you. Nothing really to blame now except laziness and my mental block with Photoshop. I just don't find it very intuitive for the editing I need to do for the materials. I've been planning to tackle it over the holidays as I don't have to travel this year.

• Like 2

Maybe this should go in a different thread, but here is some info I found on Unitronics:

1. A U.S. Trademark was filed for the name Unitronics on January 17, 1983. The application reveals that the first use was January 5, 1983 (CES apparently) and that the company that owns it is Unitoys, Inc. from San Francisco.

2. The U.S. Copyright database lists 3 items belonging to Unitoys. The most relevant one is titled "Unitronics game story boards." and has a date of January 17, 1983.

3. The California secretary of state reveals that Unitoys was registered on July 22, 1982 and the agent is someone named Ed Ghandour.

4. In searching the name, an article from People magazine popped up from January 11, 1982 about a former math professor named Addi Ben "Ed" Ghandour in the San Francisco area. He invented a new yo-yo that returns automatically and started a company "Today Knots, Inc." to manufacture and sell them. I could not find a registration for the company, so it is possible the proper paperwork was not done or it was a DBA which is handled at the local level in California and difficult to research.

5. The U.S. Patent database has his invention listed with a filing date of January 14, 1981 and lists his name as Edmond Ghandour.

6. There is an Ed Ghandour that lives in the San Francisco area today that appears to be a financier/developer. Its hard to say if he is the same person, but the clues would suggest it is. If it is the inventor, he would be about 72 today based on the magazine article. I couldn't find an email to contact him, maybe someone local would be interested in finding a way to speak with him?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Arkyology ... very intriguing still ... any updates?

I did not know, interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaKjjGUzgeo

Hey Thomas, thanks for the offer, but there are no technical problems. Just too many other things taking attention away from this....

No time to respond properly, personal issues on programmers side. Everything is ready, I have the ROM and materials, given I don't lose them.

Again, do not ask me for the ROM, just like all the other protos I am entrusted with.

We now return to watching water dropping helicopters.

• 3 months later...

I just checked back in. As CPUWIZ stated, there was a lot going on that needed sorting before proper attention could be given to getting this game released.

I'll work with CPUWIZ to get this cartridge out soon, and I very much appreciate everyone's patience. I'd like the first release to be at a show -- with serial numbers starting at '1', and subsequently I hope to have it readily available to all.

What do you know, he just messaged me, so expect some sort of update soon.

Any updates? PRGE, perhaps? :)

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since this thread was opened. I originally wanted Arkyology released as a cartridge after all this time. After several years trying, I've decided to just release Arkyology here as a ROM file, and let it out into the world.

It's been many years since I, George Hefner, Rick Harris, and Barb Ultis designed and created this game. Those were fun times. I didn't realize at the time what a special era we were in, and how enduring the legacy would be.

So without further reminiscing, please find attached to this post, the Arkyology game image. This game is 8k in size and requires the F8 cartridge in order to run.

Enjoy!

Paul Walters

--edited for clarity

ARKYOLOG.BIN

Edited by pwalters
  • Like 21