IGNORED

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

CRV

It's been a while since this thread was opened. I originally wanted Arkyology released as a cartridge after all this time. After several years trying, I've decided to just release Arkyology here as a ROM file, and let it out into the world.

It's been many years since I, George Hefner, Rick Harris, and Barb Ultis designed and created this game. Those were fun times. I didn't realize at the time what a special era we were in, and how enduring the legacy would be.

So without further reminiscing, please find attached to this post, the Arkyology game image. This game is 8k in size and requires the F8 cartridge in order to run.

Enjoy!

Paul Walters

--edited for clarity

Thank you for the binary: I was hoping for a cart release with box and manual with a bit of the history described. I think about it as I play the Leprechaun game at Funspot NH.

• Like 2

It's been a while since this thread was opened. I originally wanted Arkyology released as a cartridge after all this time. After several years trying, I've decided to just release Arkyology here as a ROM file, and let it out into the world.

It's been many years since I, George Hefner, Rick Harris, and Barb Ultis designed and created this game. Those were fun times. I didn't realize at the time what a special era we were in, and how enduring the legacy would be.

So without further reminiscing, please find attached to this post, the Arkyology game image. This game is 8k in size and requires the F8 cartridge in order to run.

Enjoy!

Paul Walters

--edited for clarity

Many thanks for sharing this interesting piece of video game history, Paul.

Truly appreciate it.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 1

Enjoy!

Paul Walters

--edited for clarity

Thank you for releasing the binary! It's much appreciated!

• Like 1

Interesting viewpoint. I choose not to engage in mutually hurling recriminations. I'd rather just move on from our failed working relationship.

Sure you do, no skin off your nose. The week and a half of graphic design, gone. The hours I spent preparing the boards, gone. I am not sitting on 100 PCB's, prepared for this game, either. Poof. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Between you and the Toki guy, who cost me even more money (like 100 x 27C020's), I am pretty much done helping to get carts to the community. Good job.

Enjoy!

Paul Walters

--edited for clarity

Wow! Thank you. Very generous! I've been eagerly awaiting the chance to play your game.

Sure you do, no skin off your nose. The week and a half of graphic design, gone. The hours I spent preparing the boards, gone. I am not sitting on 100 PCB's, prepared for this game, either. Poof. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Between you and the Toki guy, who cost me even more money (like 100 x 27C020's), I am pretty much done helping to get carts to the community. Good job.

I don't know what caused the breakup between you and him, but IMO it would be fair to split the costs.

And while I am glad to get my hands at the ROM, I sure do not like the way this had happened. :sad:

I don't know what caused the breakup between you and him, but IMO it would be fair to split the costs.

And while I am glad to get my hands at the ROM, I sure do not like the way this had happened. :sad:

I'm certainly not happy with how this went either. Not all relationships work. Ours had serious communication problems. In retrospect, I believe a couple of phone calls wold have saved it, but that wasn't possible.

In response to your comment on sharing the costs, a while ago I offered to buy the prepped boards and just wanted to be quoted a price for them. Even though that offer was a while back, it still stands.

Releasing the ROM binary however, doesn't preclude a future cartridge. It might make the cartridge less valuable for sure, but it's still a possibility.

• Like 6

I made it to level 3, but couldn't complete it.

Yeah it gets pretty tough. Sometimes you have to hide in the 'tube' at the top of each set of stairs, until the coast is clear.

A quick question, what type of console are you running this on?

Edited by pwalters

Yeah it gets pretty tough. Sometimes you have to hide in the 'tube' at the top of each set of stairs, until the coast is clear

I used that technique, but the enemy at the bottom, really got to me. He moves pretty quickly and I couldn't seem to jump over him. Guess I'll just have to play some more :)

Thank you for releasing the ROM. Sorry to see how things came about, though. Hopefully, this does see a cart release.

We may make a small run, to recoup some costs and to make sure people get carts in their hands that are of quality. I know Hozer is already working on it and angieBlahBlah, will have them on ebay in no time. :roll:

$79.99 BIN L@@K, ULTRA RARE~!!@##$$!!

• Like 4

We may make a small run, to recoup some costs and to make sure people get carts in their hands that are of quality. I know Hozer is already working on it and angieBlahBlah, will have them on ebay in no time. :roll:

Well, if something can be orchestrated so this gets a proper release, I would definitely be in for one.

-Allen

"$79.99 BIN L@@K, ULTRA RARE~!!@##$$!!"

Haha, gotta love it!

Thanks for the release!

The game might have a bug in the startup code. This does not show when using Harmony cart, but depending on the hardware used, when you put in on cart.

It definitely has. The startup code in bank 0 reads

$D008: CLD
$D009: LDA #0
$D00A: TAX

while bank 1 has a STA $FFF8 to switch banks at $D008 (the startup vector is $D008 in both banks). As a result, X is not initialized to zero when the game starts from bank 1, and the game does not initialize zero page properly. The observable consequence: the game breaks randomly in Stella (if randomization is enabled) and in 6502.ts . On real hardware it would depend on the way the mapper is implemented.

I have attached a quick hack that fixes the issue (provided those zeroes I overwrote didn't contain anything important :P )

PS: In case anyone wants to play this in 6502.ts: the game needs a fixed ystart value of 30, "auto" will cause the screen to shake.

arkology_fixed.bin

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 6

Thanks for the release!

It definitely has. The startup code in bank 0 reads

$D008: CLD
$D009: LDA #0
$D00A: TAX

while bank 1 has a STA $FFF8 to switch banks at $D008 (the startup vector is $D008 in both banks). As a result, X is not initialized to zero when the game starts from bank 1, and the game does not initialize zero page properly. The observable consequence: the game breaks randomly in Stella (if randomization is enabled) and in 6502.ts . On real hardware it would depend on the way the mapper is implemented.

I have attached a quick hack that fixes the issue (provided those zeroes I overwrote didn't contain anything important :P )

PS: In case anyone wants to play this in 6502.ts: the game needs a fixed ystart value of 30, "auto" will cause the screen to shake.

I vaguely recall having a discussion on the startup bank way back then... and the specs for the masked ROM that was to be used in manufacturing guaranteed the startup bank to be 0... Funny how all these years later it popped up as an issue.

Thanks for quickly releasing a patched version!

• Like 4