IGNORED

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

CRV

Call me a skeptic, but I can't pull it off even when single-stepping though frames.

By starting on Day 5 with infinite lives (so the gator is right there with you), wait 8 frames before moving (this must be done or it's jaw will be up and catch your foot later). Enable Left to move toward it until you are 6 pixels away from it (legs down). Enable INPT4 to jump. Your legs will -just- be able to clear it's closed jaw. However, you will step on it's tail as you move downward after the jump.

Haha, well my memory could very well be deteriorating with advancing age... :) We wanted the alligator to be impossible to jump. I remember the first time I saw him get jumped, George was playing the game in one of our high-score competitions, and on one of the higher really difficult levels he jumped the alligator. Up until then we thought it was impossible. After that we all started trying it and eventually got to where we could do it in about 1 in 20 tries. I haven't dissected the pixel-by-pixel movements of the player vs alligator, but I do remember it being just barely possible.

Putting together Nukey's analysis with Paul's success rate with lots of practice, I'm inclined to think that the alligator's collision length or Noah's jump length may vary a slight bit from time to time, perhaps depending on the point of the alligator's movement cycle or position on the screen and the same with Noah's jumping. Slight variation with whether the alligator or Noah is moving to the left or right may be added into this as well. Also, I wonder if holding the stick left or right while jumping may, on occasion, give the jump an extra slight distance.

Whatever the case, I'd say that jumping the alligator is futile for all practical purposes and the unpredictability and precision needed leaves no advantage to gameplay. It might still be fun to play around with on its own.

• Like 1

Although, it is a similar problem I have with Aardvark, were it gets a bit frustrating sometimes trying to center the tongue over a hole to go through it and I often overshoot the hole backwards a forwards a time or two before getting centered properly, which can be very irritating as time is of the essence even more so in Aardvark.

Agreed, that was a problem in the released version. And I found it very annoying too, so that's why it has been fixed by now. :)

• Like 1

Do I get a patch? I got on a roll and achieved the score below using the original ROM, my Sunnyvale light sixer and new (fully upgraded) CX-40 joystick from Best Electronics.

I'm going to bed now.

attachicon.gifDay 13 Feed.jpg attachicon.gifHigh Score.jpg attachicon.gifHS w_Hardware.jpg

No words. This must have taken you over two hours to play through. My nerves would be shot long before then. These should be on the back cover of the box.

• Like 1

Do I get a patch? I got on a roll and achieved the score below using the original ROM, my Sunnyvale light sixer and new (fully upgraded) CX-40 joystick from Best Electronics.

I'm going to bed now.

attachicon.gifDay 13 Feed.jpg attachicon.gifHigh Score.jpg attachicon.gifHS w_Hardware.jpg

Amazing score.

Well done indeed.

My advice: take a rest until someone else is beating this.

8)

• Like 1

The game doesn't look difficult (which is what makes it so addicting)...the wee beasties are pretty forgiving by not jumping out at you from behind borders when you are on edge ladders, and the quills are easily avoided if you keep moving. You are allowed to hide as long as you want in tubes...and those let you lure the gators as well. The trick is to fight ones own impatience to complete the levels.

A trick I have not yet mastered (I can get to day 4 before it's lights out for Noah).

Good job sramirez!

• Like 1

Incredible. Hats off man!

I finally made it to day 5 & broke 7,000 points today myself.

My personal goal has been day 7. You just took the wind out of my sails.

Keep trying. Day 6 was the hardest for me, but as Nukey pointed out "...the game operates on a repeating 8-day interval to set alligators". This re-set allows you to get much farther than you would think, once you break through.

In all honesty, my personal goal was to get to day 7 too. :)

Keep trying. Day 6 was the hardest for me, but as Nukey pointed out "...the game operates on a repeating 8-day interval to set alligators". This re-set allows you to get much farther than you would think, once you break through.

Steve you're a machine. Nice score dude.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that once one has mastered levels 5 and 6, then everything has been mastered as far as difficulty increase and then it becomes about endurance and not running out of luck (dying too often). You can also take bathroom breaks and such by hiding in a tunnel, since it, fortunately, doesn't have a timing-out or some unavoidable creature that comes in after a certain time.

The impatience thing is absolutely the key. Its what gets me every time. Ive been to day 4 with full lives, and lost them all within a couple of minutes because of sloppy & rushed gameplay out of my over confidence. As opposed to if I am on my last life, I play far more conservatively & tend to stay alive longer.

And yes, some of the most helpful hints (many already mentioned before) are as follows:

- There is no time limit. So not only should that settle your nerves while playing, but yes, it means there is no need to ever rush through decisions.

- The tubes are safety areas. So with the right positioning, not only can you pause to stretch or go grab a refreshment, but you can use those sweet spots during gameplay to avoid porcupine quills & other animal attacks.

- by day 3, avoid using the top center tubes as they become death traps. Always approach those top areas from the extreme sides, using the two outer tubes.

- be smarter then the alligator! Since he always follows you, lead him into areas that you have no need to go before actually heading to where you want to go.

- if a hammer or animal appears in a dangerous area and/or too far away to make it safely in time before it disappears, then dont even bother and just let it go.

(this is where, again, your impatience will do you wrong because without a time limit, you have all the time in the world to simply wait for another item to appear closer)

- dont forget that Noah has an adjustable jump! this is an excellent play control feature that is easy to forget about. I often forget it in the heat of play. But the ability to jump over an alligator, touch a hammer, but land on the same side is golden when you just want to zip in & out of an area!

I also use it all the time on the later levels when the porcupine is fast & fires his quills like a machine gun. it allows me to race in from the side, touch a hammer or animal in the top center areas, and immediately race back.

• Like 1

I believe you now hold the all-time world record on Arkyology! Congratulations!

Thank you. I fully expect someone to eclipse it soon and I won't try to defend it anytime soon. I'm not into high scores, just couldn't stop playing the game. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Steve you're a machine. Nice score dude.

Lol! Thanks. I think it became an obsession. I played a lot of games yesterday. Kept getting stuck on the 2nd part of Day 6 (impatience), before the final game.

With enough patience, someone will blow this score away.

Edited by sramirez2008

Looking forward to trying this. Thank you to everyone involved. Please let the world keep offering hidden gems to the planners, and the thinkers that dig. Those souls out there pounding the pavement for treasure like this. Hidden in barns and in old file cabinets. Code is in existence if we dare find it. In offices, old rooms, stored materials from two moves ago. What do you have under that forgotten guest room mattress? Where are the prototypes hidden?

We need you to look hard and how we salute you when you brave find! For great justice.

Well, its nowhere near the other high scores, but, Im super happy as I achieved my two key goals tonight, and both in the same game. I broke 10,000 & I got to day 7. It was very interesting indeed because the game actually got easier after day 5. (the porcupine quills in particular) It seemed almost like a built in breather round. Reminded me of the 5th key stage in 5200 Pac-Man.

post-17556-0-78492400-1537234805.jpegpost-17556-0-33011100-1537234813.jpeg

I feel much more relaxed now. Like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders. It will make me far less nervous now when playing. No doubt the absolute key to this game is patience. Cannot say it enough. Play conservatively. Dont rush. And dont take unessesary risks.

• Like 2