IGNORED

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

CRV

More Mark Pendergrass illustrations of Noahs Ark. They are from a coloring book, so are just line drawings, but could be colorized by someone with the ability. Noah in the bottom two is not as good for some reason as the first one I posted, I think (that one stupus used on a mock-up box). Last one wants to stay sideways... I have one more coming in a booklet sometime in the next week or two that is like the one a posted a ways back.

post-54985-0-28298400-1536896170_thumb.jpeg

post-54985-0-21650900-1536896199_thumb.jpeg

post-54985-0-37808500-1536896827_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, they are nice. And thanks for sharing.

But I think we now have too many choices of what could have been used and/or will be used for this games art. In addition to CPUs wifes original art as well. Plus whatever layout Albert goes with, for the AtariAge release.

So just like the rom itself, there will be no set & agreed upon standard for what an Arkyology cartridge should actually have been.

Different artworks, different cartridge shells, different rom files. But I guess thats that.

Yes, they are nice. And thanks for sharing.

But I think we now have too many choices of what could have been used and/or will be used for this games art. In addition to CPUs wifes original art as well. Plus whatever layout Albert goes with, for the AtariAge release.

So just like the rom itself, there will be no set & agreed upon standard for what an Arkyology cartridge should actually have been.

Different artworks, different cartridge shells, different rom files. But I guess thats that.

Im just posting them for fun, because they exist. Theyre not part of a competition. I think people might use them as an historical booklet insert perhaps.

It did and thank you. I really am enjoying this game. :)

If that alligator traps you on the third floor in Stage 4, your chances get quite slim. It will be interesting to see what he does in levels 5 and 6. It's almost always the middle of the third floor that gets you.

Changes that stabilize the screen, or help it be more reliable on other platforms should also be noted as modifications, and not use the original name.
What I'm concerned about are changes to the graphics (Porcupine leg animation), and Noah's movement on and off the ladders -- if changed should be issued with a different name. Maybe something like M-Arky, or Arky-Mod or something just to indicate it's been changed from the original intent.

Point taken. Revisions will be called Arky-Mod. The animation can now be turned off with the previously-unused B&W switch...and Noah's movement was never changed (that was just a suggestion to get the game easier to control on the portable version. This is no fault of the program, but the portable's cheapo controller).
One glitch that was fixed is the 77-cycle issue which skewed the display in the original game - move down the ladder immediately after starting to see what I mean. From what I can tell, this does not impact actual gameplay.
The three color changes (only done so it was easier for me to see) have been changed back.
The "ship bounce" was happening because the INTIM timer value used was just barely straddling a 76-cycle interval between displays...was this intended? Does it happen with the proto? Or is it just an issue with Stella?
The goal of getting a stable scanline count is a priority to me because modern LCD televisions can freeze the display if it ever deviates. Again, this is no fault of the program (or original 2600 hardware either), but just the fact that CRTs are becoming more scarce as time goes on.
Currently, only the transition to and from the Zzz intermission roll the display, but it's getting close.

I fully agree with this and to be honest: I think it's a bit disrespectful to change and alter the original ROM (all well meant intentions aside) without letting the programmer know first.

Hacking credo: It's easier to give an apology than to get permission.

Arky-Mod(fix_v2).bin

• Like 4

The "ship bounce" was happening because the INTIM timer value used was just barely straddling a 76-cycle interval between displays...was this intended? Does it happen with the proto? Or is it just an issue with Stella?

Is this happening during gameplay or only after transition from one screen to the other? I haven't yet managed to play this game, but I will gladly try this out in Stella and on real Hardware + CRT to see if there's any difference

Speaking of which... what about a PAL(60) conversion? Poor Noah seems to suffer severe seasickness on my PAL TV: he turned green!

post-10599-0-94101600-1537005904_thumb.png

(This should also please the "purists": Noah was from Mesopotamia, so he had a PAL TV! icon_razz.gif)

• Like 4

In Stella, the ship display jumps all thoughout gameplay in the original dump. This does not alter the scanline count, tho...everything is just drawn 1 scanline lower intermittantly (the roof above the score is 1 line thicker). Doesn't happen on the portable, that's why I wondered if it was just Stella's problem (I don't own an actual VCS). Rather annoying effect IMO if it was intended :P

...unless he was an Atlantean descendent...you know, with RH- blood...

Supposedly, those created or chosen by the flying spaghetti monster have all races/blood types contained within them. Sort of how the Superman reboot went. I call it lazy writing.

Think I ought to fix the day counter so it displays day 100-128 properly?

Edited by Nukey Shay
  • Like 2