IGNORED

Arkyology - New prototype discovered - Finished Game!

CRV

I've been researching a development company called HomeComputer Software. In the course of said research, I found this old Chicago Tribune article about upcoming Sparrow products. Since you have to pay to read the article, I only managed to grab this sentence:

Also on the drawing boards at Sparrow are an Atari 2600 game called "Arkyology," based on events in the life of Noah, based on events in the life of Noah, and a game based on three incidents in the life of David, including his encounter with Goliath.

According to InfoWorld, HCS had a joint-venture agreement with Sparrow. I assume HCS would have developed these (just like The Music Machine), while Sparrow would market and distribute them.

• 5 years later...

I've been researching a development company called HomeComputer Software. In the course of said research, I found this old Chicago Tribune article about upcoming Sparrow products. Since you have to pay to read the article, I only managed to grab this sentence:

According to InfoWorld, HCS had a joint-venture agreement with Sparrow. I assume HCS would have developed these (just like The Music Machine), while Sparrow would market and distribute them.

I know I'm replying to a very old post, but I just stumbled on this forum and thought I'd give a little insight into these two games.. Arkyology and David and Goliath.

Back in 1982 - 1984 I worked for Enter-Tech Ltd. We developed video games, coin-op, cartridge, and gambling as well. We developed a few games for the Atari 2600.

We had the contract to develop Arkyology, and David and Goliath for the 2600 back in 1983.

I and my co-worker George Hefner were the programmers on the Arkyology project. My co-worker Rick Harris was the lead on the David and Goliath project, Andy Teague helped. Barb Ultis did the graphics for both games.

The games required a cartridge board that handled ROM banking. The final games fit inside 8k bytes. Arkyology was finished and ready for release, I don't think David and Goliath was ever finished.

Arkyology was about Noah's ark. The player controlled 'Noah' and the goal was to feed the animals on the Ark. The game showed three floors separated by ladders that contained animal stalls. Each level had two parts. First was to run around and open all of the animal stalls, the second was to 'feed' each of the animals. Of course, there were obstacles. There were birds flying past, alligators running on the floors, and a couple others if I remember right. Each level sped up with more obstacles.

David and Goliath was about David. First he was a shepherd and the goals was to herd the sheep. Ultimately David was to meet and fight Goliath. David and Goliath was never finished as the company who contracted us ran out of money and couldn't pay (as I recall).

btw: I have a game rom of Arkyology... probably the only one still in existence.

• Like 32

I know I'm replying to a very old post, but I just stumbled on this forum and thought I'd give a little insight into these two games.. Arkyology and David and Goliath.

Back in 1982 - 1984 I worked for Enter-Tech Ltd. We developed video games, coin-op, cartridge, and gambling as well. We developed a few games for the Atari 2600.

We had the contract to develop Arkyology, and David and Goliath for the 2600 back in 1983.

I and my co-worker George Hefner were the programmers on the Arkyology project. My co-worker Rick Harris was the lead on the David and Goliath project, Andy Teague helped. Barb Ultis did the graphics for both games.

The games required a cartridge board that handled ROM banking. The final games fit inside 8k bytes. Arkyology was finished and ready for release, I don't think David and Goliath was ever finished.

Arkyology was about Noah's ark. The player controlled 'Noah' and the goal was to feed the animals on the Ark. The game showed three floors separated by ladders that contained animal stalls. Each level had two parts. First was to run around and open all of the animal stalls, the second was to 'feed' each of the animals. Of course, there were obstacles. There were birds flying past, alligators running on the floors, and a couple others if I remember right. Each level sped up with more obstacles.

David and Goliath was about David. First he was a shepherd and the goals was to herd the sheep. Ultimately David was to meet and fight Goliath. David and Goliath was never finished as the company who contracted us ran out of money and couldn't pay (as I recall).

btw: I have a game rom of Arkyology... probably the only one still in existence.

Great story. I'm curious, did your own curiosity lead you to find the 6 year old post on Atari Age in order to find out if any info on the games existed online? It would be cool to see some pics or a video of the game. Thanks for posting ;-)

Do you remember if Enter-Tech did any other home games?

Do you remember if Enter-Tech did any other home games?

Yes, we worked with Unitronics and made three games for the "Unitronics Expander" ( http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/expander.html) btw: That second picture is actually me holding the joystick! It was taken at the 1983 CES in Las Vegas for a last-minute flyer. The three games pictured are "Treasure Hunt", "Dazzler", and "Those Little Buggers" ( I *REALLY* hated that name).

Edited by pwalters
  • Like 7

Great story. I'm curious, did your own curiosity lead you to find the 6 year old post on Atari Age in order to find out if any info on the games existed online? It would be cool to see some pics or a video of the game. Thanks for posting ;-)

Well, out of curiosity last week I stumbled on the "Moppet Video" games that are listed here: http://ggdb.com/ByManufacturer.aspx?c=Coin-Op&s=Arcade&m=Moppet+Videoand a few other places. I found that there is a following for them because they are fairly rare. I was the main developer on most of those coin-op games. It made me a little nostalgic so I searched for Arkyology to see if there was any mention of it and found it here.... so here I am... ;)

• Like 13

Well, out of curiosity last week I stumbled on the "Moppet Video" games that are listed here: http://ggdb.com/ByManufacturer.aspx?c=Coin-Op&s=Arcade&m=Moppet+Videoand a few other places. I found that there is a following for them because they are fairly rare. I was the main developer on most of those coin-op games. It made me a little nostalgic so I searched for Arkyology to see if there was any mention of it and found it here.... so here I am... ;)

Wow! Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. :)

What was the relationship between Enter-Tech and Tuni Electro Services? What were E.T. Marketing and E.T. Industries? Thank you very much.

Hey CRV,

The company was originally "Tuni Electro Services". Tuni was the last name of the company founder/owner. Tuni was based out of Oregon. The video game operation, where I worked, was based in Tempe, AZ and consisted of development, manufacturing, sales and marketing.

At one point late in '82 Tuni started running out of money. Missed a payroll and shut down the company for a week or so while the local management regrouped. The local management got funding and bought out Tuni, and named the company Enter-Tech, Ltd.. Enter-Tech Ltd. was owned by E.T. Industries. The employees were issued stock in E.T. Industries based on how long they had worked for the company. E.T. Marketing was on-site in Tempe, AZ and was dedicated to the marketing of the products. I'm not sure exactly why the marketing branch was a different company, but we shared offices. E.T. Industries made odd things roughly based on entertainment such as the large water-slides found at amusement parks. I'm not sure if they still exist but I don't think they do. if they did, I'd like to find out if my stock has gone up any on the past 30+ years ;)

There were 3 programmers including me, and one graphics artist. There was a hardware tech who helped out on the programming tasks from time to time as well.

We had an arrangement with Century Electronics out of the UK. We did some development work on their arcade boards and software and made them work for the US market. We had our own line of 'gaming' i.e. video poker for both 'amusement' (read gray-market), and also had a Nevada approved video poker machine. We made our own coin-op arcade line of products under the name 'Moppet Video' and we did 2600 development as well.

• Like 4