IGNORED

Insect Combat for VB

atari2600land

I have decided that since I've never played an RPG in my entire life, that I am probably not a good candidate to make one on the Virtual Boy. So instead, I've decided to work on a fighting game called Insect Combat. But I do need some help (and not with programing.) Right now, the only two insect character names I have are Gi-Ant and Behe-Moth. I need some more punny names from you guys having to do with insects. It doesn't have to do with being big, but should be along the lines of being a fighter (fierce, mean, etc.) I'd also like to hear from you guys what you like in a fighter, since this is the first one for the VB, I'd like to make a half-way decent effort on one.

The line-up is now complete at 6 players. The reason the file is so big is because of the speech sample. I recorded myself saying "Insect Combat!" at the beginning, which you can only hear on real hardware. I also plan on putting in grunts and groans as the insects fight. Maybe some sounds of them getting hurt "Ow!" "Mommy!", etc.

Here's the first image of test sprites (by far not the final ones) in a fight. I am working on trying to get the opponent's movements (and punches) to be random. In the final version this scene shouldn't be possible, as the background is Rumblebee's and the players are Killipede and Gi Ant.

post-9475-126228235516_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I was thinking about either making a 2600 port (the 2600 needs more fighting games), or just dropping the project altogether. I decided that this project is undoable on the Virtual Boy because I'd like random fighter movement, and the Virtual Boy has no random number generator. I actually have a vision of what this would look like on the 2600, but I'm placing more importance on the work on Nice Mice for the VB as well as another secret 2600 project.

I decided that this project is undoable on the Virtual Boy because I'd like random fighter movement, and the Virtual Boy has no random number generator.

Random number generators are easy enough to write in software.

Something like this is ideal (I forgot where it came from :():-

static unsigned long int seed;
static unsigned long int comboV;
static unsigned long int comboX;
static unsigned long int comboY;
static unsigned long int comboZ;

static void RandomSetSeed(unsigned long int aSeed)
//
// Set the random number generator seed.
//
   {

seed=aSeed;
   comboX=aSeed*8+3;
   comboY=aSeed*2+1;
   comboZ=aSeed|1;
   }

static unsigned long int Random()
//
// Return a random number.
//
   {

comboV=comboX*comboY;
   comboX=comboY;
   comboY=comboV;
   comboZ=(comboZ&65535)*30903+(comboZ>>16);

return(comboY+comboZ);
   }

You need to call RandomSetSeed with a number. If the VB library you use has timer ticks or keeps the time in a usable format then you can use that. If not, just pass a big number to it added to a counter incremented in your games menu system (e.g. as it waits for buttons). That should vary it enough.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I'm back working on this again. Here's what I have so far. No matter which fighters you pick, you are always Killipede and the computer opponent is Gi Ant. Now, the game doesn't do really much of anything so far. However, you are in the Hive of Doom (Rumblebee's fighting place). The computer doesn't do anything, but you can jump using A and walk around the place. What I need to do next is to obviously design some better-looking fighters or have someone else volunteer to (the Killipede and Gi Ant designs are placeholders). I want them to be half the size they are now, they're just too darn big to jump over, and I don't want half the body off-screen while they're jumping over each other. And after that, design some more fighting places, like outside an ant hill (for Gi Ant), stuff like that. I also need to work some more on the jumping code, especially line 286. The problem lies in how to make the fighter land when jumptimer<31 and you quit pressing A to jump. When should falltimer stop?

To play this, use either a Flashboy or an emulator (I recommend Mednafen). If you decide to play it on a Flashboy, please tell me if it works OK or not.

insectcombat05102011.zip

• 1 month later...

Is anyone up for making the artwork for the in-game sprites? I'd like them to look at least a little like the fighters choosing screen artwork. You can use any colors you want, but keep in mind that it will ultimately be reduced to three shades of red (or, in Mednafen's case, pink. ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

I found someone who is willing to make some 3D sprites for my game, but unfortunately, he will not be able to do them until September. So until then, all I can do on this is just fine-tune what I have. In today's version, I made the title screen and fighter select screens 3D.

Insect Combat

download ROM and source code.

If you have a Flash Boy, please tell me how it works on it since I don't have a Flash Boy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Flash Boy in the mail today. After fighting with the stupid thing for about 15 minutes, I actually tried the game out on a real VB, and I'm disappointed because the music does not work on it. The speech samples play fine, albeit a little slower than anticipated. Hopefully I can get the music issue resolved.