IGNORED

Elite 3D graphics

Thomas Jentzsch

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is some seriously impressive stuff!

Is there any binaries of the fixed versions (PAL) released? I get the bankswitch-bug-bars that Glenn mentioned when I run them on my 2600Jr with a Harmony.

Thanks. I will check for the bars when I get home from vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

Attached a demo version which I had sitting on my harddisk for quite some time without releasing it. It automatically (left difficulty switch = A) or selectable (left difficulty switch = B, SELECT) showcases nine ships and displays a (fixed!) status display. I hope you like it.

Make sure you have phospor effects enabled when using an emulator.

BTW: I couldn't repeat those Jr. problems with my own Jr. If they still occure, please tell me (screenshot preferred).

Elite Demo v1.0 (PAL).bin

Elite Demo v1.0 (NTSC).bin

post-45-0-56989200-1326560654_thumb.png

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 8

Very nice work - it would be great to see this made into the full game, but I suspect that isn't possible without some ARM assistance.

Yes, I suppose the ARM could help with the kernel, the transformations, the line drawing etc.

But I am not interested into coding that, I like to optimize the existing platform. The maximum I could personally accept would be the DPC functionality, since it was available back then. Not sure if that could be of any help outside the kernel.

Hm, I wonder if a "real" 3D Asteroids would work. Like a FPS, just with Asteroids and UFOs attacking from all directions. :ponder:

Does such a game exist?

Maybe alianator comes close? : http://www.lemonamig...ils.php?id=1609 That's a sort of 3d-defender.

Btw. the demo you posted looks really good. How many divisions/multiplies does the code? It looks damn fast for a vcs...

Edited by roland p

Hm, I wonder if a "real" 3D Asteroids would work. Like a FPS, just with Asteroids and UFOs attacking from all directions. :ponder: Does such a game exist?
Maybe alianator comes close? : http://www.lemonamig...ils.php?id=1609 That's a sort of 3d-defender.

Thanks, I will check it.

Btw. the demo you posted looks really good. How many divisions/multiplies does the code? It looks damn fast for a vcs...

Quite a lot. :)

All multiplications (IIRC there are no divisions) are done using square-tables, so they are pretty fast. How detailed do you want to have it? I have to transform all points and have to check the visibility of each polygon.

Note: For the polygon visibility I once switched to using a predefined normal vector, but I found out that this wouldn't work in a real 3D world. So I would have to create the normal vector from 3 transformed points of the polygon. Which means a few optimizing steps wouldn't work there anymore.

Also the math precision is currently very limited, so here it would become more complex too. And the step which transitions a whole object in space is missing too.

Finally all lines are assumed to be completely visible now. So no clipping and only backface culling

So for a real 3D game, this part would for sure become significantly slower and I would have to find some time somewhere else e.g. less complicated bankswitching (I need two double buffers of 1k each, but here I have to use one 1K buffer and four 256b buffers), co-processor etc.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

:roll: Huh... Thanks! Guess I didn't sleep enough these days so I forgot such a cool thing like bb is ...

Don't know if this was discussed before, but could the kernel be the way to 'plugin' 3d calculations in asm into BB ?

Reserve smaller vertical part of screen for game graphics and use certain portion of remaining kernel part for 3d calc ?

ps. Forgive me if I missed something in BBs working, I'm just a bb amateur ;)

• 2 weeks later...