IGNORED

Your first video game wow moment

tz101

I still will play it regularly. It's such a fun game. Needs some ports, IMHO.

I'd just like to see it redone with a better explosion routine so they don't slow it down as much.

Edited by Ransom

I really like the slow downs! Long ago, I thought they were intentional. Turns out, it ended up being an artifact of how the game does calculations, yet another one of those "bug is feature" retro things.

To me, how and when it occurs, is classic game art. If this game is ever ported, that slowdown should be an option.

First time I ever seen Street Fighter 2 at the nearby 7-11. Up until that moment, that game was pretty much top notch and blew away every other game in the arcade.Never seen such a crowd at the arcade since. Especially seeing Chun-Li for the first time I thought "OMG finally a girl in a videogame that's kicking ass and not getting her own ass kicked(something that really turned me off about the Double Dragon game). Not another damsel in distress! Thank God..." Not only that seeing her catch phrase at the time " I'm the strongest woman in the world.." That game was very popular with alot of people.

Also the graphics were very fine detailed for it's time. Each character had their own personality and voice..... Street Fighter 2 rocked on so many levels. Too bad they never made a real proper sequel. Street Fighter 3 and 4 are kinda lame imo.

Okay, just had an epiphany tonight whilst playing my TI Home Computer...

Was my very first computer. Made payments on it through a classmate of mine when I was in Junior H.S. and it came with a bunch of games. I had various catalogues and such for it (all from him, Triton, etc.) and thought I had a pretty good handle on what all was available for the system. Well, imagine my surprise when to my amazement, I spied an Atarisoft Donkey Kong cartridge for the TI sitting there loose at a thrift store back in the early 90's!! Snagged that puppy up but quick and popped her in. Remember, this is probably 1991 or so and I had gone through just about every 8-bit video game and computer system known to man. DK for the TI simply rocked. I could not believe how awesome that arcade translation was for my modest little system! ALL of the levels are there. Gameplay is tight. Graphics are excellent and most of the sounds, animation and in-between level cartoons are there as well. Yeah... I shat myself. Not only in amazement that Atarisoft had programmed what I believe to be maybe the best home conversion of this beloved game ever (C64 comes REAL close, if not maybe better), but there it was on a system that had been all but orphaned by me at this stage of my life. :-) (and yeah... A8 version of DK is a joke comparatively, sorry Atari fanboys). lol Growing up with the real arcade and owning it umpteen times over, absolutely no comparison. Well, to the INTV version maybe. :lol:

Edited by save2600

Hmm...

My first had to have been as I was playing Tank Plus on the display machine in Sears. We had a crazy amount of fun.

My second wow moment was probably hot off the heels of Virtua Racing. I was in Japan at the time, and after a day of sightseeing and shopping, I was bone tired. I wandered into an arcade for a few games, but first I needed to sit down for a few minutes. The closest seat I could find was in a brand new racing game called Daytona USA. At the time it looked quite real and the music was really catchy. I didn't play it that night, but I did play the next time I got a chance.

The third is similar. Fast forward almost three years. I'm in Hobart, Tasmania, at an entertainment outfit with laser tag, VR gaming, a movie theater, and an arcade. They had The Raiden Fighters, which I made sure to play. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw this marquee that said "SCUD RACE". Not knowing why they'd name a game after a missile, I got curious. With full motion cabinets, Model 3 hardware, and silky smooth gameplay and graphics, Scud Race was as much an improvement over Daytona USA as Daytona was over Virtua Racing. Being the expert at Daytona, I had to try this. Sadly I haven't been able to play Scud Race very often, as it's not been ported to any home console. I did get to the point where I could win races at the hardest levels, just as I could on Daytona. It wasn't until much later I found out why it's called Scud Race. SCUD stands for "Super Car Ultimate Drive". In the USA, it's called Super GT.

Hydro Thunder's demo was playing at an EB Games in Lynnhaven mall just before the Dreamcast was launched. I was considering buying a Dreamcast anyway, but that demo cemented my decision. I asked if the game was in any arcades, and was told that they had it right upstairs in Aladdin's Castle. I think my first wife and I spent at least $20 on the arcade game that night.

That same Aladdin's Castle had what's probably my latest wow moment. They got Episode 1 Racer when it was new, and they had the full sized cabinet. The game is just plain real. I can't describe it, except to say that totally embarrasses the LucasArts home versions. The tracks are different, except for the Boonta Eve Classic, and the selection of characters is a little more limited.

I still will play it regularly. It's such a fun game. Needs some ports, IMHO.

I'd just like to see it redone with a better explosion routine so they don't slow it down as much.

That reminds me of the way Virtual On displays slow motion on certain death sequences. I always wondered if it was intentional or if the Model 2 hardware was slowing down.

The first time I blew up the Death Star in Star Wars Arcade.

The first time I heard Wizard of Wor talk.

The first time I saw Dragon's Lair.

The first time I played Hard Drivin'.

The first time I saw a fatality in Mortal Kombat.

The first time I played Castlevania II:Simon's Quest and it went from daytime to nighttime.

The first time I played Alone in the Dark on 3DO.

The first time I played Silent Hill on PSone.

The first time Link turned into an adult in TLoZ

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2...

The first time I blew up the Death Star in Star Wars Arcade.

The first time I heard Wizard of Wor talk.

The first time I played Hard Drivin'.

The first time I saw a fatality in Mortal Kombat.

The first time I played Castlevania II:Simon's Quest and it went from daytime to nighttime.

The first time I played Alone in the Dark on 3DO.

The first time I played Silent Hill on PSone.

The first time Link turned into an adult in TLoZ

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2...

I gotta admit, I didn't think the PS2 was capable of Shadow of the Colossus level graphics but I was used to impressive PC graphics so it wasn't quite a wow moment.

I bought a PS2 just for the multiplayer gameplay of Champions of Norath but I wasn't wowed by it.

I thought Dragon's Lair looked cool... till I played it once and thought it played like crap.

When I saw a fatality in Mortal Kombat I just shook my head. I thought it was a cheap gimmick.

Alone in the Dark on PS1 was pretty good and so was Silent Hill.

I saw them years after the release so any WOW factor was long gone.

Ok, I just thought of a WOW moment but it wasn't a game.

It was an Amiga demonstration Commodore put out that integrated video disk with computer output.

I think it's pretty impressive to this day, although now the video would be from DVD or a file.

It was an Amiga demonstration Commodore put out that integrated video disk with computer output.

I think it's pretty impressive to this day, although now the video would be from DVD or a file.

Yep, the Amiga can control a Laser Disc system via their Amigavision software. A super intuitive and easy to use multimedia presentation system that made Apple's Hypercard look like, well - most Mac stuff from that era (yuck). Companies, schools, museums, etc. used this 'deluxe' Amiga system as kiosks back in the day. Speaking of kiosks though... I remember reading something not too long ago that claimed the Field Museum up until the early 2000's, was using a TI-99/4A as some kind of display or interactive kiosk!

Edited by save2600

Had a few of those. The first one was not as dramatic as some of the later ones.

1. Playing Breakout on the 2600. Video games on TV? Wow!

2. Playing Pitfall 2 on the 2600. Holy crap, this has music!

3. Playing Dungeon Master for the first time on the Atari ST. Uh... Greatest RPG ever!

4. Seeing Super Mario 64 in action. I thought it was a dramatic change.

But my #1 biggest WOW! moment came from playing a computer game.

5. Playing Quake online for the first time using GameSpy. "This," I said, "is the future of gaming!" (Boy, was I right!)

2. Playing Pitfall 2 on the 2600. Holy crap, this has music!

I remember being dumbfounded by the music in Pitfall II. It really added an element that was, for the most part, completely absent from all other 2600 games.

3. Playing Dungeon Master for the first time on the Atari ST. Uh... Greatest RPG ever!

Yep, Dungeon Master paved the way for future dungeon crawl games. It was pretty remarkable at the time! It's a shame they didn't jump into the game to the PC instead of getting blatantly ripped off by the "Eye of the Beholder" SSI series.

4. Seeing Super Mario 64 in action. I thought it was a dramatic change.

Another watershed title I also had a blast playing. :)

..Al

Today Pitfall II is one of the games that I'm the most impressed with. It didn't wow me when I first played it, though. My first time playing Pitfall II was in 1991. By that time I'd heard music in many other 2600 games including Rabbit Transit and Bump 'n' Jump. Those would have diluted the wow effect that Pitfall II had.

Now if I had to pick my favorite in game music on the 2600, that would be Pitfall II. The others are cool, yes, but I like Pitfall II's upbeat theme. It's also the only one I can think of with a drum line. I know of more than one NES title that doesn't have that.

Because the graphics were so much beyond anything out at the time, this one was definitely a jaw dropper. The play value wasn't much to write home about. Quel dommage!

The real 3D in Battlezone was definitely a wow moment. The game seemed like something stolen out of a secret army training facility.

The Williams games were stunning for their sound, the pulsating graphics, and the number of moving objects too. You could fall into a trance just watching the attract modes.

Time Traveler was impressive, though I never played it as every arcade that had it had obscenely jacked up the number of credits required to play it.

A lot have said SMB on the NES was impressive to them. The arcades had shown way more impressive titles by the time the NES came out, so for me it wasn't "wow", so much as it was "wow, I can play this at home".

The first time I remember being wowed at home was seeing "PaRappa the Rapper" on the original Playstation. Between the freaky 3D cutout graphics and the unique gameplay, that one was a trip!

Edited by RevEng

I already posted my fist wow moments, but since others are posting later ones, I should add "Populous: The New Beginning" as a later Wow moment for me. I'd been enjoying god games for years, but adding the real time strategy elements made it much more of a compelling game for me and my wife. We bought two copies and played side-by-side on our two computers. I think we must of disappeared into that game for two or three months, playing it again and again.

That game is the one and only reason we keep a Windows box around.

• Like 1

Yep, Dungeon Master paved the way for future dungeon crawl games. It was pretty remarkable at the time! It's a shame they didn't jump into the game to the PC instead of getting blatantly ripped off by the "Eye of the Beholder" SSI series.

..Al

"Paved the way"?? Wizardry?

Dungeon Master was pretty fun tho.

desiv

"Paved the way"?? Wizardry?

Dungeon Master was pretty fun tho.

desiv

Dungeon Master added a high level of polish in terms of the graphics and audio, not to mention the game was played in real time which I think was pretty unique back then. It seriously outclassed everything else at the time and Dungeon Master was copied closely by several other games.

..Al