IGNORED

Another noob question!

marvio

Sorry guys, yeah I could look it up, but it's a bit of a wierd problem, for me, and until I found a way to search the whole afternoon would be gone! :)

So, I got my 130xe with a 1050 disk drive, and a whole bunch of floppies..

Here's my problem

As far as I can see these disk are bootable (most of them are actually originals!), some of them boot just fine, but others, let's say "SpyXSpy" complains that it needs 48k ram and asks me to remove the cartrige? The 130XE is a 128k machine, correct? I know that's bank switched, but it should have at least 64k avaible, right?

Besides, why would this guy have these many 48k disks if he wasn't able to run them? :D

What am I doing wrong?

130XE has built-in BASIC. To "remove the cartridge" you must hold down OPTION while powering on the machine.

64K of contiguous (well, mostly) RAM is only available when the OS is disabled. Under normal circumstances, you have 48K with no cart installed, 40K with an 8K cart installed or BASIC enabled, and 32K with a 16K cart installed.

A ha!!

Thanks man!!

Also, another little question...

Any way to stop the beeping sound when the programs are loading? Kinda anoying... :)

From BASIC you can type POKE 65,0 but this won't help you with the auto booting game disks. Easiest way is to (unfortunately) mute the TV. Only other solution is a modified OS.

You are correct - it is a very annoying "feature". So is the keyclick when you type.

Stephen Anderson

Awww, I like the keyclick and beeping :D

Me too!

Strange that Stephen who likes his IBM Model M wouldn't like the Atari keyclick...

It's more the fact of how they implemented it by using WSYNCs. It screws up any code you have running which uses display list interrupts. It was even more annoying on the 400/800 which had it going through an internal speaker.

Stephen Anderson

Thanks a ton guys!!

So my atari 8 bit adventure starts!! :)

I don't mind the key cick sound, but the loading is a little much!

I really love the Spectrum click, there's something so soothing about it

Happy new year all!!

You will it like in 25 years I promise.

Get yourself a tape drive for even better loading sounds :D

Thanks a ton guys!!

So my atari 8 bit adventure starts!! :)

I don't mind the key cick sound, but the loading is a little much!

I really love the Spectrum click, there's something so soothing about it

Happy new year all!!

You will it like in 25 years I promise.

Get yourself a tape drive for even better loading sounds :D

Ahh the Happy days of 15 minute tape loading and then it not working because someone turned on a light switch or anything really :) Yes I love the sounds too :-o

Any way to stop the beeping sound when the programs are loading? Kinda anoying... :)

Sacrilege!! The beeps will soon become music to you, if the volume isn't too loud on the monitor. You will listen to them to confirm proper I/O, and how fast I/O is taking place. You will immediately detect an I/O problem when you fail to hear them. When you "upgrade" to a faster storage device, you will appreciate being able to audibly discern the greater transfer rate.

The only ones that bug me are the long, droning cassette-load tones. After listening to them for years back in the 400/410 days, the disc drive I/O beeps sounded like a chorus of angels - even on the slowest drive there was.