IGNORED

Atari MEGA 1 RAM upgrade

candle

Hello everyone, Happy New Year ;)

I've bought myself Atari MEGA 1 recently, and decided to do something creative with it ;)

Here are the results:

top-desolder.jpg

For start, we need to desolder old RAM chips - its not an easy task, since all of them are SMT chips - You could probably cut them out, but this will be a point of no return ;)

I use HOT AIR SMD REWORK soldering station

top-clean.jpg

After desoldering the chips, old solder remains on SMD pads, we need to get rid of it, because it will prevent us from soldering new chips properly

For this i recommend using solder wick

Soldering of new chips is not that hard as it might seem, just use fine tip solder iron, and precisly place the chip on pads before soldering it - there is verry little margin for error here

bottom-side.jpg

Throught the PCB we need to drill a hole (or use one of existing ones) and conduct the wire from pin #5 of first RAM chip (U40) to pin #64 of MMU (U30)

top-finnished.jpg

What we need to do now, is to connect all pin #5 of RAM chips together forming MA9 line that makes this upgrade complete

required chips can be found on 30 pin SIMM modules, the same as we use for 8bit Atari memory upgrades

Candle

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought myself Atari MEGA 1 recently, and decided to do something creative with it ;)

This is very nice, i have done the same with 2 or 3 Mega 1. But there are some Mega 1 which are made with DIL-DRAM-chips...

You made very good pictures, no problem for other people to do the same. :thumbsup:

What we need to do now, is to connect all pin #5 of RAM chips together forming MA9 line that makes this upgrade complete

Do you use a 68 Ohm resistor? Atari uses this resistors in the MAD-lines to the memory chips.

required chips can be found on 30 pin SIMM modules, the same as we use for 8bit Atari memory upgrades

And this chips can also be found at Lynxman. :cool: New, unused, best quality (Mitsubishi or Motorola 60/70ns) for 2 € (8chips for only 2€!) + shipping.

So there is no need to desolder the chips.

Very nice work! If I lived close I would have you do an upgrade to my Mega 2. ;)

Was there ever a Mega 2 with SMD-memory-chips?

Lynxman

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...