IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

VCS:

Alien 25 mins.

Beany Bopper 30 mins. (does this game ever end or get difficult? ugh)

Crypts of Chaos 10 mins. (without looking at the manual...)

Gameboy:

Amazing Spider-man 10 mins.

CastlevaniaII: Belmont's Revenge 20 mins.

for 6-16-10

Lynx

Klax - 30 minutes

Jaguar

Defender 2000 - 45 minutes

Sega Master System

Shinobi - 1 hour

I'm getting to the 3rd stage boss in Shinobi everytime with one life, then I loose them all as I cannot defeat it… the only way I'll beat it is on my first life while I have the gun… it's the only way I'm able to even pass the first part then I get kill on the next part…

Jaguar is still my current enjoyment… maybe more Defender tonight or possibly some Trevor McFur… and Lynx while at work

Genesis -

Outrun: 52 min.

Dragon's Fury: 17 min.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 40 min.

You know, I'd play Dragon's Fury for longer stretches of time - but at just seventeen minutes, I've already got blisters...

Is there some trick to becoming good at the side-scrolling Sonic games? I have always been terrible at them...

Here are my times for this week (June 14th through 20th):

I've only played classic games this week:

Loco-Motion (Arcade) 29 minutes

Loco-Motion (Tomy Tutor) 17 minutes

Loco-Motion (Intellivision) 90 minutes

Happy Trails (Intellivision) 194 minutes in 3 sessions

Q*bert (Intellivision) 42 minutes

As you can see, I've played all available versions of Loco-Motion this week... at least I think there aren't any others. The Tomy Tutor version seems to be the only one where each station you have visited closes down instantly... in the other versions those stations can still be run through. Other than that, they adapted the playfield size to the limits of the given system... I think on the arcade version the maximum playfield size is 6x7 tiles, on the Tomy Tutor it's 5x5 and on the Intellivision it's 8x4.

After that, I played Happy Trails, which is a variant of Loco-Motion with altered rules... you can reverse the running character, and you also have to pick up things laying around in the maze, not only on the side paths. Also, you can pick up a "sheriff star" which enables your character to eliminate the enemy on colliding with it. I think this game is different enough to Loco-Motion to warrant its existence... it would have been a pity if Konami or Mattel would have sued Activision in order to eliminate this game from the market as they initially planned. With the differences in place, the game is about as similar to Loco-Motion as two 3D racing games are... for instance, as similar as Crazy Taxi is to Need For Speed, or Wonderboy to Super Mario Brothers. Or, for that matter, Lock'n'Chase to Pac Man, Lock'n'Chase being a game which Mattel put out for the Intellivision.

After that, I checked out one other Intellivision game... Q*bert, which I've already played in numerous other versions, and probably the game which I own the most versions of. The Intellivision version shares some sounds with the other versions (TI-99 and C-64), but some of the sounds have been altered. In my opinion, Q*bert looks worse than he does on the Atari 2600, although he has two colors on the Intellivision. And Slick and Sam (the purple creatures jumping on the cube's sides) are surprisingly hard to avoid in this version. The animation, however, is very choppy... probably the choppiest of all versions I know. I think a jump from cube to cube is divided in only 3 or 4 intermediate frames... but that doesn't really disturb the playability of the game. The scoring has also been altered... apart from the fact that there are only 21 instead of 28 cubes (due to the Intellivision's graphics limitations), the bonuses for completed rounds count up in 125 point increments instead of 250 points, and you get extra lives for each 10000 points... a scheme which I haven't seen in any other version of this game.

• Like 2

Genesis -

Streets of Rage: 28 min.

Streets of Rage 2: 52 min.

My first time playing either - heck, my first experience with the series at all! I think I'm in love. The first game, especially - it's like, you feel like you're the on actually out there, kicking butt...

Someday, I'm going to have to order the uncensored English version of Bare Knuckles 3...

Times for the week:

Vectrex:

Minestorm - 6 min.

Sega Master System:

Rambo: First Blood Part II - 20 min.

Game Boy:

Donkey Kong Land - 5 min.

Metroid 2 - 20 min.

Super Mario Land 2 - 10 min.

Tetris - 15 min.

SNES:

Super Castlevania IV - 6 min.

Super Metroid - 10 min.

N64:

Gauntlet Legends - 363 min.

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero - 230 min.

Dreamcast:

Worms World Party - 55 min.

Spent a few evenings this week whittling away at Gauntlet Legends with my girlfriend. Since the N64 was already set up, I also worked on MK Mythologies which, years ago, I'd played briefly and enjoyed. Despite the terrible reviews online, I think it's a perfectly fine game, and its mix of platforming and MK-style fighting works surprisingly well. Yeah, the separate button for turning around is a hassle, but anyone who's played Defender (or Sword of Sodan!) should be able to handle that.

• Like 1

times for past few days…

6-19-10:

Jaguar

Wolfenstein 3D - 1 hour 45 minutes

Trevor McFur - 20 minutes

6-20-10:

Jaguar

Wolfenstein 3D - 45 minutes

NESMickey Mousecapade - 1 hour

Arkanoid - 20 minutes

6-21-10: