IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Is there still a point in posting this? The number of contributors to this thread seems to be diminishing. Well, anyway, here are my times for this past week (August 2nd through 8th):

The classic games (egligible for the Top 10):

SteamRoller (Colecovision): 620 minutes in 12 sessions

Halo 2600 (Atari 2600): 67 minutes in 2 sessions

The non-classic games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Hey Taxi (Online): 54 minutes

Yummy Burgers 2 (Online): 3 minutes

I love Burgers (Online): 1 minute

Dinner at Romeos (Online): 7 minutes

Railway Valley (Online): 42 minutes

Youda Camper (Online): 45 minutes

I've played quite a lot of SteamRoller (which I misspelled last week) this week. I think it's a fun game. By now each game takes about 15-25 minutes, and my high score is about 23000 points. My goal would be the Activision Standard Patch Score of 35000 points, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it. It's a shame that this game only appeared for the Colecovision (and in fact, not even that). Activision shot it down in 1984 because the Colecovision was dead when the game was ready, but they could have issued it for MSX computers or the Sega SG-1000 instead, which wouldn't have taken too much time to rewrite. And they could have made versions for the Commodore 64 or the Atari 8-bit computers which they still supported back then. But maybe they also wanted to have more elaborate games like "Ghostbusters"... similar to how they shot down Kaboober for the Atari 2600 because it was only a 4K game. The gaming motion is absolutely fluid, something you probably wouldn't see in games made by Coleco themselves on their system.

Other than that, I also tried Ed Fries' Halo 2600, but not for too long. The sounds are a bit too "basic" for me, sounding like very old 2600 cartridges.

As for the online games, I played some restaurant simulations - Yummy Burgers 2, I love Burgers and Dinner at Romeos, but couldn't really get into any of them. Dinner at Romeos is a bit confusing and hard to get into, and it's easy to miss serving a customer to the point that it disappears and you have to trash the wasted food.

Hey Taxi is a taxi game in the vain of Crazy Taxi which I revisited, but I didn't play it for that long this time.

Railway Valley is sort of a mini railway simulation on a small, non-scrolling map where you have to lay tracks between up to five facilities and guide the trains between them without crashing. You start with $200000, and your main goal is to survive a period from year 1900 to 2020, where the game ends. You even win the game if you didn't make your money back, but didn't get completely broke.

Youda camper is actually a demo for a commercial game, and the objective is to run a camping site by offering various tent sizes along with extras like parking space, trashcans, electric lamps and the like. The game ends after you have served 75 parties of campers, referring to the version that's up for sale where you can play for much longer than that.

• Like 1

Is there still a point in posting this? The number of contributors to this thread seems to be diminishing.

Please do keep posting! FWIW, I'm back after a month away from home, and I suspect others might be/have been on vacation too. I usually post one big list at the end of each week, rather than steady updates -- I've got one coming at the end of today.

Obviously, though, it'll be a nice morale booster once cvga is able to do the stats again. (hint, hint) :D

Edited by thegoldenband

Times for the week:

Atari 2600:

Halo 2600 - 30 min.

Lady in Wading - 12 min.

Intellivision:

Bowling - 46 min.

Demon Attack - 5 min.

Donkey Kong - 2 min.

Frog Bog - 8 min.

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack - 7 min.

Popeye - 15 min.

Sewer Sam - 8 min.

Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey - 3 min.

Venture - 4 min.

Sega Master System:

Dr. Hello - 268 min.

Ninja Boy - 5 min.

Outrun - 3 min.

Safari Hunt - 7 min.

Super Boy 2 - 3 min.

Game Gear:

Fantasy Zone - 5 min.

Master of Darkness - 3 min.

Wonder Boy - 5 min.

"Dr. Hello", by the way, is an unlicensed/pirate version of Dr. Mario from Korea. I beat the highest level (Level 20) on Low and Medium speeds, but can't quite pull off High just yet...

I thought I did this within the past couple of weeks but here's an update through today...

Atari 2600 - Kaboom! (#1 alltime)

Perhaps you did and I missed it. Thanks for listing them! Larry Kaplan should be proud that his game is still so popular.

Yes, I am proud. And thanks for the recognition. I hope it is fun and not too frustrating.

Larry

• Like 2

I thought I did this within the past couple of weeks but here's an update through today...

Perhaps you did and I missed it. Thanks for listing them! Larry Kaplan should be proud that his game is still so popular.

Yes, I am proud. And thanks for the recognition. I hope it is fun and not too frustrating.

Larry

Given the fact that it is one of the three most favorite Activision games ever, I think you did all right. ;)

Times for Monday - Tuesday:

Odyssey^2:

Smithereens - 41 min.

Blackjack - 10 min.

UFO - 12 min.

Sega SG-1000:

Champion Tennis - 15 min.

NES:

Dr. Mario - 8 min.

Sega Master System:

Dr. Hello - 187 min.

Notes:

Finally took down the Dr. Mario clone, Dr. Hello, on the highest difficulty. I think I prefer this version to the original! It's one of those games where as soon as you lose, you can hit a button to immediately start again, which is ideal (?) for addictive gameplay. I actually came quite close to beating it at one point, with only three germs left, but one of them was in an awkward place (very high up on the screen) and in trying to get at it, I messed up and blew it. Fortunately, it only took a few more attempts, and then I got to enjoy the amazing ending. BTW, I wonder if Dr. Hello is an Asian malapropism for "Dr. Hero"?

Dr. Hello was ported from MSX, and uses the SG-1000 legacy video mode. That got me in a SG-1000 frame of mind, and I decided to pull out Champion Tennis...only to lose three sets, 6-0 in every case. Oof.

Speaking of crushing defeats, my girlfriend absolutely obliterated me in two out of three games of Smithereens for the O^2, winning every round in gameplay variations 2 and 3. Total shutouts. In between those games we played the slower variation (#1) and I was better able to hold my own, ultimately eking out a not-fully-deserved victory (I think she won the last round, maybe even the majority of the rounds, but I won on points). It's a genius game, perfect in its simplicity, and long overdue for a VCS port with the AtariVox.

Larry

I just bought Kaboom and will be playing it for the first time when it arrives.

I also watched the Atari documentary with you in it; "Once Upon Atari" this past week. Thanks for everything!

Edited by MitchSchaft

Here are my times for the week of August 9th through 15th...

Due to time constraints, I actually only played one game:

SteamRoller (Colecovision) 150 minutes in 2 sessions

There's nothing special to report on that game, other than that I played two more sessions (6 games in total) of it and reached a new high score of about 25000 points.

Times for Wednesday - Sunday:

Odyssey^2:

Invaders From Hyperspace - 11 min.

Baseball - 24 min.

Hockey/Soccer - 15 min.

Armored Encounter/Sub Chase - 11 min.

Speedway/Spin-Out/Crypto-Logic - 33 min.

Out of This World/Helicopter Rescue - 10 min.

Atari 2600:

Breakout - 3 min.

Super Breakout - 3 min.

Night Driver - 2 min.

Astroblast - 2 min.

California Games - 5 min.

Barnstorming - 2 min.

Sega Master System:

R.C. Grand Prix - 2 min.

Sega Genesis:

Toy Story - 11 min.

Bible Adventures - 135 min.

Desert Strike - 3 min.

World Series Baseball - 3 min.

Truxton - 9 min.

Spider-man & Venom: Maximum Carnage - 16 min.

Marble Madness (Tengen) - 17 min.

Beat all three scenarios in Bible Adventures, a mediocre-to-terrible platformer that's not quite as bad as its reputation (but is still pretty lousy). The Noah's Ark one is especially tedious, but there are a couple interesting ideas buried in there -- they're just undermined by the poor execution.

OTOH, Soccer for O^2 is one of the very worst games I've ever encountered. Literally unplayable, and absolutely inexcusable.

Edited by thegoldenband

Larry

Still my favorite paddle game! Every 2600 and set of paddles I fix are tested with this game, even a few 5200's.

Not much played this week since the HSC's I participate in are either on vacation or playing games I don't have or like in some cases.

A8:

Missile Command 1.5hrs

SMS:

Quartet 20 min

Global Defense 10 min

Secret Command 5min (Rambo II in the U.S.)

Atari 2600

Ms. Pac-Man 10 mins

Kangaroo 15 mins (one of my favorite games ever; can't wait to get the 5200 version as well)

Halo 2600 3 mins

Othello 10 mins

Atari 8-bit

Frogger II: Threeedeep! 40 mins

Pac-Man 10 mins

Frisky Tom 10 mins

Hangly-Man 5 mins

Intellivision

Donkey Kong 15 mins

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Pac-Man 10 mins

Sonic Pocket Adventure 15 mins

Game Boy

Balloon Kid 20 mins

Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World 10 mins

Game Boy Color

Tony Hawk 2 10 mins

Nintendo 64

Defender 10 mins

Robotron: 2084 12 mins

Joust 10 mins

Lynx

Xybots 20 mins

Bill & Ted 10 mins (definitely "one for the collection")

Master System

Hang On 10 mins

Quartet 30 mins

Bomber Raid 5 mins

Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog 15 mins

Ms. Pac-Man 25 mins

Zoop 30 mins

Sonic & Knuckles 10 mins