IGNORED

Not for nothing guys/gals but post pics with your bins!

Gorf

It would be nice not to have to DL every last bin file posted here so how about everyone posting a few screen shots along side the bin? Just from a developers/gamer point of view.

:)

That would be nice. Are you really saving the .bin files to your computer, then running them? If so, you can run a game with Stella immediately without saving first, at least with Firefox anyway.

It would be nice not to have to DL every last bin file posted here so how about everyone posting a few screen shots along side the bin? Just from a developers/gamer point of view.

:)

That would be nice. Are you really saving the .bin files to your computer, then running them? If so, you can run a game with Stella immediately without saving first, at least with Firefox anyway.

I understand that but anyone in the real world always presents a product with some illustration

or some sort. If you go through the trouble of posting it online to begin with, what more does

it take to hit F12 in stella or whichever emu you are using to dump a quick screen shot?

Now granted, not every console has an easy way of snapping a pic but the 2600 certainly does.

Hey Im probably quilty of this too in aone or two of my bin posts but at very least I ask some

one to do it for me(lazy bastard that I am somethimes). :P

I use Stella and pressing F12 doesn't do anything. It says "screenshot saved" but it actually isn't because I can't find it anywhere.

The manual is your friend. The location of snapshots can be set from 'Options -> Config Files -> Snapshot path'. Admittedly, the default isn't very good (I believe on Windows, it will save to a hidden INI folder). But you can always change it to whatever folder you want. The next release will probably default to the users' home directory instead.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with Gorf. Screenshots would be nice.

Since video making with Stella is hard to do and probably one of the last things on the To-Do list, I wonder if it would be easier to give Stella the ability to make animated GIFs? Posting a couple of animated GIFs of the title screen and part of the gameplay would be much better than still pictures and it would give more information about the game.

Edited by Random Terrain

Oh, so other people noticed this too? In most other forums I go to people post screenshots along with the links to their programs, something that is rarely done in here. It would be nice if this changed.

No offense to people who share interesting things (even though "interesting" is somewhat subjective), but there is a lot of crap too, and the effect this had in me is that instead of downloading every BIN I almost don't download any, because there are more uninteresting ones than otherwise.

No offense to people who share interesting things (even though "interesting" is somewhat subjective), but there is a lot of crap too, and the effect this had in me is that instead of downloading every BIN I almost don't download any, because there are more uninteresting ones than otherwise.

I didn't know until someone told me that all I have to do is click on a .bin file and open it directly with Stella. I don't have to download it first, then run it. Also works if the .bin is in a ZIP file. Just click on it and run it with Stella. No need to clog your game folder with works in progress.

I didn't know until someone told me that all I have to do is click on a .bin file and open it directly with Stella.

Yes, if you have BIN extensions associated with Stella. BIN is a terribly vague extension that's used for several things other than 2600 binaries, and since I don't want Stella trying to run any of that stuff I don't have the extension associated with it.

Note that I'm not whining or anything, if people don't want to provide screenshots that's fine, but they have a better chance of getting other people's attention if they do, because their post will be different than the standard "Hey look at what I've done!" post with a BIN attached to it. I have learned to ignore such posts unless something in the description really gets my attention, and pictures are usually much better at getting attention.

I didn't know until someone told me that all I have to do is click on a .bin file and open it directly with Stella.

Yes, if you have BIN extensions associated with Stella. BIN is a terribly vague extension that's used for several things other than 2600 binaries, and since I don't want Stella trying to run any of that stuff I don't have the extension associated with it.

If you use Firefox, there is a drop-down menu next to Open with where you can choose Other and select Stella. No need to have Stella associated with .bin files on your computer.

If you use Firefox, there is a drop-down menu next to Open with where you can choose Other and select Stella.

You are right about that, I hadn't considered that option. Still, I wouldn't go around clicking every 2600 ROM I find without something indicating that it's worth checking out.

You are right about that, I hadn't considered that option. Still, I wouldn't go around clicking every 2600 ROM I find without something indicating that it's worth checking out.

Yeah, that's why it would be cool if Stella could make short animated GIF sequences. You'd get to instantly see what the game is like without trying it.

Oh, so other people noticed this too? In most other forums I go to people post screenshots along with the links to their programs, something that is rarely done in here. It would be nice if this changed.

Exactly!

For example, in A8 forum you cannot find a single new program without screenshot.