IGNORED

Happy New Year

PacManPlus

Hi!

As Propane13 said in his thread, let's start 2010 off with a bang.

Here's a quick hack I threw together in the last 2 days - Crazy Otto. I heard somewhere that the arcade ROM of this game is finally getting released this month (after 28 years). So, here's the 7800 version of it. This version supports the HSC (it uses a separate value from Ms. Pac-Man - $80,$08)

Enjoy!

P.S. - there may be carts made for it... Not sure yet.

Bob

CRZYOTTO.ZIP

post-1787-126239706299_thumb.png

post-1787-126239706818_thumb.png

post-1787-126239707391_thumb.png

post-1787-126239707803_thumb.png

post-1787-126239708237_thumb.png

post-1787-126239708749_thumb.png

post-1787-126239709146_thumb.png

• Like 3

This is awesome!

Thanks, Bob.

EDIT: Just finished playing through, and as always with your work Bob, I'm impressed. I especially like the touch of the score values being in the Arcade-accurate Inky color instead of Clyde. If you ever considered throwing this on cart, it would be great to see it as part of a 'Pac-Collection Revision 2' deal. This score color issue came late and fell under the radar earlier (I think I mentioned it late in the Ms. Pac-Man "Arcade Edition" development/release), which would be great to have rectified in a cart release and would be cool to have a ROM dump of too :D

In fact, it would be even better to incorporate the other "Arcade Edition" Ms. Pac-Man updates to a new 'Pac-Collection Revision 2' deal so it would more than simply an update to the point value color.

Lastly, and I'm sorry for this and did not intent to hijack this thread, is it at all possible to make Pac-Man any larger? It appears he's slightly on the small side. Perhaps one more row of pixels to his height? I do not recall if this was brought up ever before, but just triggered the thought now as I was playing through with your ports of Crazy Otto, Pac-Man Collection, and Ms. Pac-Man Arcade Edition.

Thanks again for all your hard-work, Bob! It is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!

@Random Terrain: Thanks for posting the link :)

@Trebor: Here I was thinking you would like the Attract Mode, that it finally uses the colors of the monsters in the description. :) Actually, I don't want to make Pac-Man larger, as he has to be an odd number of pixels to look somewhat correct (in my eyes). If I make him 1 pixel larger that would bring him to 12 pixels high (the max) and the 'half-open' and 'completely open' mouth positions would need two pixels in the middle open (or do what GCC did and give pac an 'overbite'). I didn't think either way looked correct, so I just reduced the size by 1 pixel. :)

Thanks,

Bob

BTW, I need to thank Bakasama for (once again) using his 'eyes' for the monsters. :)

Thanks guys!

@Random Terrain: Thanks for posting the link :)

@Trebor: Here I was thinking you would like the Attract Mode, that it finally uses the colors of the monsters in the description. :) Actually, I don't want to make Pac-Man larger, as he has to be an odd number of pixels to look somewhat correct (in my eyes). If I make him 1 pixel larger that would bring him to 12 pixels high (the max) and the 'half-open' and 'completely open' mouth positions would need two pixels in the middle open (or do what GCC did and give pac an 'overbite'). I didn't think either way looked correct, so I just reduced the size by 1 pixel. :)

Thanks,

Bob

Nice work Bob! I'll take a look at this in a bit.

Cool. Thanks for the response, Bob. Though, I don't think we may be talking about the same Pac-Man. I'm not referring to the Pac-Man here with this Crazy Otto port; rather, the (original) Pac-Man you designed in Pac-Man Collection. The thought I had was if there ever were an update to that collection, perhaps that Pac-Man could be made another pixel row taller/higher. He looks a little small, IMHO.

Nevertheless, great job with Crazy Otto, and of course I love the colors of the monsters in the description...Simply awesome!

-Trebor

Cool. Thanks for the response, Bob. Though, I don't think we may be talking about the same Pac-Man. I'm not referring to the Pac-Man here with this Crazy Otto port; rather, the (original) Pac-Man you designed in Pac-Man Collection. The thought I had was if there ever were an update to that collection, perhaps that Pac-Man could be made another pixel row taller/higher. He looks a little small, IMHO.

-Trebor

Here is a quick hack of Pacman Collection just to see what a larger Pacman would look like. Personally I think the original has the perfect size already as it looks more symmetrical.

PACCOLL_LARGE.bin

-Jeff

Thanks, Walter!

Hey Jeff:

It turns out that Trebor had an old version where the Pac-Man character was even smaller than it is now. :)

Thank you, though.

... and thanks for the compliments, everyone!

There's a graphic for a bootleg of 'PuckMan' that I'm trying to find a good scan of for a label picture - it's the side art wherePuck-Man has rather large 'lips' and legs - I thought it would make a good cartoon representation of Crazy Otto. I have found a few, but none of them are a 'straight-on' shot of the side art. :( The only one I can find is below...

post-1787-126261181006_thumb.png

NTSC and PAL versions below.

post-1787-126329843699_thumb.jpg

Being that this is a quick hack, I used the early-style 7800 label for this instead of my usual style.

Thanks,

Bob

Ha. I forgot about that original Atari 800 Pacman picture. Good choice for a picture.

Allan

The label looks great. I like the early style for 7800 labels.

I tried it on Prosystem emulator, and there're a bit of difference in some colors.

In PAL (right screenshots) red looks orange, and pink looks light orange.

But I don't know if will happen on a real system too. (I used the version 1.3).

crazyotto.jpg

crazyotto2.jpg

Hey Keitaro:

From what I understand, the PAL colors for ProSystem aren't correct. I got these color translations from someone in PAL land, as I don't have a PAL 7800 myself. Hopefully someone who has a CCII and the PAL standard can let us know how the colors look.

Thanks!

Bob

Just tested it.

The red "MAD DOG" is also red in PAL.

The light green/blue "BRUTE" is light blue (no green tint) in PAL.

The maze walls (on the first screen) have a mid-orange middle and red borders in PAL. If you want a shade of pink in PAL use a $5x palette index value.

In attract mode the fruit colours look like real fruit colours in PAL too :lol:.

The high scores are displayed with junk at the bottom. Thats to be expected because the HSC's ROM doesn't support PAL :(.

• 6 years later...

Hey, sorry to resurrect this six-year-old thread, but...if I have Pac-Man Collection!, is there a reason to also get this (besides the obvious: support Bob and Al)? That is, is there any significant difference between this and the Ms. Pac-Man variation that's on PMC???