IGNORED

Jaguar file extensions

Albert

I am setting up a new Downloads module for the forum, and I need to know what valid file extensions I should allow for Atari Jaguar files. This will mainly be intended for demos and games that authors want to share freely (for projects in development and released).

Thanks!

..Al

Please add in .COF & .PRG they are frequently used also for the Jaguar. ;) :) -Even more so now with the many Skunkboards around.

Albert, if you would like valid working examples of these two I mentioned, I can make a zip file with some working Jaguar files of these, that I have handy on my HDD for Skunkboard use.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Please add in .COF & .PRG they are frequently used also for the Jaguar. ;) :) -Even more so now with the many Skunkboards around.p

Thanks, I've added these. :)

Albert, if you would like valid working examples of these two I mentioned, I can make a zip file with some working Jaguar files of these, that I have handy on my HDD for Skunkboard use.

No reason to, but thanks for the offer.

..Al

There's been at least one during the past year shared as an NRG file (Nero CD image)

Could that file have been saved in some non-proprietary CD format?

..Al

Honestly I'm not technical enough to know.... I imagine ISO or CDI or some other CD image format would work, but I don't know the Jaguar's CD requirements and it seems, at least to me, that within the Jag community there seems to be a preference for NRG images when it is CD.

Someone please jump in and correct me who has been around longer.

Could that file have been saved in some non-proprietary CD format?

Yes, they are non-propietary Jaguar disc image extensions.

.NRG(Nero) & .CDI(Discjuggler) are not Jaguar specific file extensions and can be used for any disc image for any platform. Although they are popular and are frequently used for CD-R disc images for burning Jaguar games/videos/apps that will be run from the Jaguar CD Player.

Might as well include them though. :) - the more the merrier. :P

Keep in mind though Al, those are the ones that could be large in size -up to around 700 MB. :o

To best answer your question Al; The CD format Atari used and developers use and I use(when making video cds for the Jag) is just a folder with a set of "CDRECORD" files. They are a group of files that work together and include a Warning.WAV file(just an audio file), a burnenc.BAT file, several Track02.RAW type files, a cdrecord.exe file and cygwin.dll file.

If you want to allow for this type of file set on your system just a .ZIP or .RAR which I am sure you already allow would be fine for people who want this form(cdrecord files) of a Jaguar CD image. -As all these file types work together and will be compressed into a zip or rar most frequently. After the disc is burned and checked in this format - only then is it converted into a .NRG or .CDI disc images then compressed to .RAR or .ZIP for distribution as most people don't like to mess with old cdrecord type files.

So just .RAR or .ZIP will do! for the Jaguar CD.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Jaguar game CDs need at last two sessions to be playable on a standard console, and the ISO file format only supports a single session.

Unfortunately, it seems there is no real standard file format for multisession CDs ; NRG (Nero Image) files are the most popular.

Regarding the size, almost all homebrew CD games are much smaller than 700 MB. Most of the size is used by the mandatory CD audio track before the actual data ; it could be replaced by silence, which would compress well in a ZIP file.

Edited by Zerosquare

So Albert, just .RAR or .ZIP will do! for the Jaguar CD.

As .NRG(nero) or .CDI(dj) Jaguar CD Image should be compressed into a .RAR or .ZIP file for bandwidth conservation for you(the host) and the downloader. ;) This will go quicker especially for those with slow internet.

Regarding the size, almost all homebrew CD games are much smaller than 700 MB.

Very True! Definitely!, Yes, only way a Jaguar CD disc will approach 700MB in size, nowadays with just homebrew dev going on is if the disc is a Cinepak JaguarCD - and people don't care for those too much, since there not games to actually play!

Edited by ovalbugmann

Al,

Jaguar file extensions to add. These are ones typically associated with source code files:

.3DS - Autodesk 3D-Studio object file

.BPG - Jaguar BPEG graphic file

.C - C source code

.CRG - Jaguar Cinepak Chunky-format 16-bit RGB film file

.SRG - Jaguar Cinepak Smooth-format 16-bit RGB film file

.CRY - CRY-format graphic image

.DAS - DSP assembly source file

.DB - Debugger script file

.GAS - GPU assembly source file

.S - 68K assembly source file

.H - C include file

.INC - Jaguar include file

.O - Jaguar object module (pre-linked compiled code)

.MID - MIDI score file

.SYM - Symbol Table File

.TXT - Jaguar binary image of program text segment

.DTA - Jaguar binary image of program data segment

I've attached the reference pages from the Jaguar developers manual. But I pulled some of the most likely ones that can be found with source code files.

Glenn

JagExtensions.pdf