IGNORED

The official "ColecoVision 2" thread

opcode

Would it be possible to unplug one of the Colecovision game controllers and use some type of DB9 to PS/2 adapter on the ColecoVision II if a game developer wrote special PS/2 keyboard driver? If so then this would add no extra cost to the ColecoVision II.

What I was thinking is that maybe the Coleco ADAM Family Feud game and or Jeopardy game might be able to be ported over to the ColecoVision II with the use of a Super Game Cartirge. Also the keyboard opens up all kinds of new text advaneture games and game show games that could be made for the ColecoVision II. I was only thinking of the PS/2 keyboard as a game controller.

Opcode I like your idea of offering an internal expansion feature on the ColecoVision II. I am guessing that there would be some small top or bottom cover that could be unscrewed that would allow consumers to increase the RAM above 32K or expand the ColecoVision II in some other way to add a internal Supergame II module. That is a good feature to offer internal expansion.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The Colecovision keypad could be used to input letters like a cellphone. Ex. the number 1 would cycle A,B,C. 2 cycles D,E,F 3 cycles G,H,I. Family Feud and Jeopardy would have to be reprogrammed, or program from scratch. I don't think additional RAM is needed for these 2 games if it is reading from cartridge. I will look at some videos how these games look like and plays.

EDIT: Just finished watching these 2 games. They're pretty well made. I learned that there's variable length small text on the ADAM. There's the I,II,III,IV,V,VI keys to be pressed.

Now watching old game shows on PC from 1980's Price is Right. Great look what you making me do. :P

Edited by Kiwi

The I,II,III,IV,V,VI keys on the ADAMnet keyboard were called Smartkeys. To port over games like 2010: The Text Adventure game, Family Feud, and Jeopardy, either a Ultimate SD cartridge or Super Game Cartridge is required since those ADAM games have several read and write functions since they were designed to work from a Digital Data Drive or disk drive. The Supergame Module and ColecoVision II both have 32K of RAM that simulates the ADAM memory mapping already. Walters software even had a ADAM operating system called EOS 9 that installed from cartridge. Those types of game programs would require a lot of work to port over.

The Coleco Expansion Module #2 steering wheel and Coleco Roller controller used external power supply sources since the DB9 controller ports could not provide the power needed for some game controllers (Coleco should have never called the steering wheel controller “Expansion Module #2” since the expansion module interface is never used for the steering wheel controler when connected to the ADAM/ColecoVision). In the 80’s there was a third party company that made a mouse for the ADAM that plugged into the ColecoVision DB9 connector. Since the DB9 connector on the ColecoVision did not provide power, the mouse had a special power cord so that it could operate when plugged into the ColecoVision DB9 connector. With special ADAM software, ADAM owners had a mouse.

So with a $5 PS/2 keyboard and a modified PS/2 to DB9 adapter with a external power supply it would be possible to connect the PS/2 keyboard to the original ColecoVision/ADAM or the ColecoVision II in theory. The only thing one would need to do is write a software PS/2 keyboard driver program that could be used with both the ColecoVision/ADAM and new ColecoVision II. The Super Game Cartridge for Family Feud and Jeopardy would install the PS/2 keyboard driver when the cartridge reset is pushed or pulled.

Perhaps there is a way that the ColecoVision II DB9 connector can provide power to one of the pins on the DB9 connector while at the same time maintain 100% compatibility with Coleco controllers. I would need to look at the Coleco schematics to see if that is possible.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I'll be near the front of the line when it is available to purchase. I am currently enjoying the SGM and supporting games I purchased. I hope for more SGM games as well.

What I was wondering though is why not just make a cartidge system adapter for a genesis. They already made one for the Sega Master System to run on Genesis. The Master system was z80 and the genesis has a z80 as a coprossesor which I assume was specifically for running the the master system games.

As far as I heard you can use genesis joysticks already on a coleco and that would solve the issues some people have with the traditional controller.

They are a cheap and plentiful system . You could even just use the board and put it in a new case.

I don't expect to change anyones idea but it would seem to be something worth considering as it might be cheaper.

I haven't seen any mention of joysticks for this new system. Will it just use the old Colecovision controllers and you must provide your own? Will it come with brand new versions of the traditional controllers? Or will there be all new re-designed controllers?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upon further investigation and now having a Sega Master System and Everdrive. I have realized that the Sega Master System is effectively a Colecovision 2

Same CPU, Same sound Chip , Backwards compatibility with the Graphics Chip, can already run SG-1000 games directly from roms which is basically colecovision anyways. And has nice upgrades for newer games such as light gun, smooth scrolling, better graphics chip.

I always liked the SMS and now I know why.

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

No new joysticks...it will accept Coleco compatible controllers.

I haven't seen any mention of joysticks for this new system. Will it just use the old Colecovision controllers and you must provide your own? Will it come with brand new versions of the traditional controllers? Or will there be all new re-designed controllers?

One of the main problems with the 1982 ColecoVision’s is the controllers are around 31 years old and wearing out. If the ColecoVision II ships with no new controllers then this would be a disappointment especially for first time ColecoVision owners. Instead of paying $200 for a ColecoVision II, I would rather pay $250 for a ColecoVision II that ships with at least one new game controller. With each additional game controller costing $50.

Does any third party company currently manufactory a ColecoVision game controller that does not require the old ColecoVision game controllers? If so then maybe Opcode could purchase some of the new game controllers from a third party company instead of developing a controller.

A ColecoVision II with no game controller included will make this a niche product.

One of the main problems with the 1982 ColecoVision’s is the controllers are around 31 years old and wearing out. If the ColecoVision II ships with no new controllers then this would be a disappointment especially for first time ColecoVision owners. Instead of paying $200 for a ColecoVision II, I would rather pay $250 for a ColecoVision II that ships with at least one new game controller. With each additional game controller costing $50.

Does any third party company currently manufactory a ColecoVision game controller that does not require the old ColecoVision game controllers? If so then maybe Opcode could purchase some of the new game controllers from a third party company instead of developing a controller.

A ColecoVision II with no game controller included will make this a niche product.

I love how you just threw out that $50 controller price. Man, I don't want to pay $50 for a controller. Stop putting ideas into his head. lol. I would say maybe $20 for a controller would be reasonable.

Perhaps a game controller like this for $19.95 could be used for the ColecoVision II. If it was still in production then it could be bundled with the ColecoVision II.

http://www.atari2600...r-PROD2172.html

Yuck. I have to say I would never use that. That looks absolutely impossible to hold and use without great strain. The standard Colecovision controller is bad enough as it is, but this thing looks just unusable. Might just be me though.

• Like 1

I love how you just threw out that $50 controller price. Man, I don't want to pay $50 for a controller. Stop putting ideas into his head. lol. I would say maybe $20 for a controller would be reasonable.

Only a true toy/game company could produce a controller for 20$, and that's only if they can manage to produce and sell units in the many thousands. Opcode Games does its best to provide high-quality products, but that doesn't change the fact that Opcode Games is not a real company. So you can forget about a new/modern ColecoVision controller at anything less than 50 bucks. With relatively low production numbers, production will be expensive any way you look at it.

• Like 1

Some of the third party Coleco compatible controllers are $70+. The new ColecoVision II controller should have a built in keypad that will allow the original Colecovision game overlays to slide in.

I would love to have a repalcment for the Supergame controller, roller controller, and Expansion module #2 driving controller. Perhaps PC roller controllers and steering wheels could be modified to work with the ColecoVision or ColoVision II.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I totally disagree. I will buy a CV 2 with or without a controller. Coleco controllers are readily available and if necessary can be repaired by Yurkie. In my experiece, they are durable little suckers and take a lot of abuse. The only Coleco-compatible controller I ever found that I really liked was the Amiga PowerStick, but even it has problems with it's ill-placed second fire button on the front of the controller rather than the side.

And there you go...I nominate you to develop and produce a new Coleco controller.

Some of the third party Coleco compatible controllers are $70+. The new ColecoVision II controller should have a built in keypad that will allow the original Colecovision game overlays to slide in.

I would love to have a repalcment for the Supergame controller, roller controller, and Expansion module #2 driving controller. Perhaps PC roller controllers and steering wheels could be modified to work with the ColecoVision or ColoVision II.

For simple games like Pacman and Dig Dug I prefer the quality and reliability of the 4 arrow keys on my PS/2 keyboard with PC emulation when compared to the original Coleco controller. If I could connect a PS/2 keyboard up to the ColecoVision II I would use a $5 keyboard as a game controller.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Continue playing on your PC then and leave the rest of us alone...

(yeah, yeah, I know...don't feed the troll...)

For simple games like Pacman and Dig Dug I prefer the quality and reliability of the 4 arrow keys on my PS/2 keyboard with PC emulation when compared to the original Coleco controller. If I could connect a PS/2 keyboard up to the ColecoVision II I would use a $5 keyboard as a game controller.

Edited by jblenkle
  • Like 1

Um, Dig Dug works fine with the original Colecovision hand controller. Pyramid Warp is like Pac-man controlled, works fine on the original hand controller.

As for controllers. My second controller was so worn out when I first got the unit. The knob wasn't responding until you press it hard in one direction and the 2nd fire button was flakey. I did a el cheapo fix by putting a square cardboard from a case of pepsi with folded side to make it a shape of a diamond. I placed that under the spring so it'll make it easier for the sensor to pick up direction.

I sent that controller to Yurkie to get it fix with the ball knob and straighten. I was curious about the ball knob, and rather keep my controller 1 with the disk top. He did a fantastic job fixing that controller.

These controllers are good quality and they don't break easily. Also, they can be restored, or upgraded.

There's third party Colecovision controllers, with number pad and all that? :?

EDIT: There is...Suncom Colecovision Joy Sensor Touchpad Controllers.. third party controller. The hand controllers are about 10-30 dollars on ebay though.

Edited by Kiwi

Its better if the colecovision 2 doesn't come with controllers. The more basic this project is the more likely it will happen. If someone else or even opcode wants to make controllers at a latter date thats fine but for now id stick with just the console for now.

Edited by Manoau2002
  • Like 1

This is my favorite controller...the Amiga Power-Stick

post-9212-0-63426600-1369287849_thumb.png

I also have versions for the Atari/Atari Computer, which, of course, doesn't have the keypad. The only drawback to this joystick is the ill-placed 2nd fire buttons which are above the joystick and below the keypad. They are both in an awkward place and very stiff when you press them.

Ideally if someone does develop a new joystick I wouldn't mind if it were of this design except with the fire buttons positioned as they are on the stock CV controller.

Um, Dig Dug works fine with the original Colecovision hand controller. Pyramid Warp is like Pac-man controlled, works fine on the original hand controller.

As for controllers. My second controller was so worn out when I first got the unit. The knob wasn't responding until you press it hard in one direction and the 2nd fire button was flakey. I did a el cheapo fix by putting a square cardboard from a case of pepsi with folded side to make it a shape of a diamond. I placed that under the spring so it'll make it easier for the sensor to pick up direction.

I sent that controller to Yurkie to get it fix with the ball knob and straighten. I was curious about the ball knob, and rather keep my controller 1 with the disk top. He did a fantastic job fixing that controller.

These controllers are good quality and they don't break easily. Also, they can be restored, or upgraded.

There's third party Colecovision controllers, with number pad and all that? :?

EDIT: There is...Suncom Colecovision Joy Sensor Touchpad Controllers.. third party controller. The hand controllers are about 10-30 dollars on ebay though.

Edited by jblenkle

I have two of those sticks... believe me, they are horrible. Of course the suction cups barely work, and the wrenching around you do with the stick means you're always trying to re-suction. Holding it in your hand is even worse.

I'm working on my own custom Coleco controllers, but I don't have a lot of time right now to play with it. Not sure if I'd ever get them to the point where I'd sell them though, right now it is just a personal project.

Yuck. I have to say I would never use that. That looks absolutely impossible to hold and use without great strain. The standard Colecovision controller is bad enough as it is, but this thing looks just unusable. Might just be me though.

Guy, I apologize for the lack of updates. I will try to start catching up with emails tonight, as well as replying to the questions here. Just terribly busy, and I don't think things will improve until I am back from the course I will be teaching in Brazil on the first week of June.

I have closed shop for the time being, won't be selling any more games for the next couple of months. Also, for those who didn't reply to my email for the 1st run of the SGM, I have marked your order as wait. If you have replied, then don't worry, your SGM is either in the mail or about to be shipped.

I have a lot of stuff to finish from now to August, so probably my visits here will be a little sporadic until there.

Perhaps a game controller like this for $19.95 could be used for the ColecoVision II. If it was still in production then it could be bundled with the ColecoVision II.

http://www.atari2600...r-PROD2172.html

The SpectraVideo controller you provided a link to looks cool, but to actually use it is a complete nightmare for me. Others may feel differently about this controller, but I absolutely despise it... except for how good it looks in it's retail box on my shelf.

As far as the Coleco made Hand Controller, there are millions of them out there and they are easily refurbished, fixed and modded. So keep things simple and stick with two standard DB-9 controller ports so that all the currently available controllers (well, maybe not the Roller Controller depending on what can be done with the power connector issue) can be used with the CV II. If the Roller Controller issue can't be resolved, then at least Slither and Victory can still be played on the CV II using NewColeco's hacked roms that use the Hand Controller for gameplay.

I still don't understand the issue everyone has with the Coleco made Hand Controller! I have been using them for over 30 years now and am so accustomed to them that any other controller feels wrong to me. I do have to admit that adding a Ball-Knob makes for a big improvement and lengthening the shaft and adding a Ball-Knob (DoubleDown modded controllers) is the best option especially for games that require diaginal movement.

With all that said, a USB port for hookup of USB Controllers (especially wireless) would be tremendous.

I totally agree with you on this. I like my Power-Stick, but it is over-sensitive at times and doesn't play well with some games. But I am so accustomed to using the standard Coleco controller, any other controller feels awkward to me. I can't even imagine having Yurkie's ball-knob modification because I've played with Coleco's stubby knob for so long. Yes, there are jokes in there someplace, but I'm going to ignore the temptation...

If someone wants to create a controller someday, I'm all for it. But I hope they won't stray too far from the original Coleco controller.

I still don't understand the issue everyone has with the Coleco made Hand Controller! I have been using them for over 30 years now and am so accustomed to them that any other controller feels wrong to me.

NIAD,

The original Coleco roller controller should work fine with the ColecoVision II as long as one uses the original ColecoVision power supply to power the roller controller. I really enjoyed Slither and Victory that made full use of the roller controller. Also I would love to have a USB port on the ColecoVision II to plug in modern controllers like you mentioned, but I do not think that is going to happen.

Maybe I am just having some bad experiences with Coleco controllers. New Coleco controllers are over $50 on EBAY and when I use the Coleco controller my game play quality does not match the game play quality of a PS/2 keyboard with emulation. Using the arrow keys on the PS/2 keyboard has greatly increased the quality of game play over the Coleco controller. Maybe I need to get the 31 year old Coleco controllers serviced so that they operate properly.