IGNORED

Bobby is Going Home

KevinMos3

Back sometime around 89 or the early nineties, the Radio Shack here in Cynthiana, KY used to have Bobby is Going Home. I wanted to buy it, but never did and regretted it ever since. I've seen this game listed as PAL only, but I wondered about that since it was here and at Radio Shack of all places.

Let me paint the picture. Cynthiana, KY is a small rural farming town. You can see tractors going down main street at any given time. Why would a Radio Shack in such a place have a PAL game? I've always wondered and thought maybe someone might find that interesting.

Ah, ok. I still think it's interesting that this Radio Shack had some copies. They had some other really weird ones too, but that game is the only one I remember the name of. The price on them wasn't bad either. I should have bought a couple of the odd carts, but that was before I was old enough to have a job.

Bobby is Going Home happens to be a major joke between me and my friend Stephen.

"Bobby.. he ain't makin' it home" due to how batcrap crazy the enemy patterns are when yo first play.

Yeah, I finally completed a level of it.. so now we joke "uh oh, bobby made it home!" but yeah..

I played it on original hardware for the first time a few weeks ago due to the game working perfectly on a Supercharger. Loaded the NTSC rom and off I was! What a fun minute~!

Quite rare you say, how rare it is Rom Hunter? I have NTSC Bobby Is Going Home By CCE, it and Shuttle Orbiter are the two prize possessions of my 2600 collection.

Please don't mistake the CCE (R5) one with the one I linked above (R9).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

That's gone now. I asked a while back if you could still order them and the employees there didn't even know what I was talking about. I had to *educate* them. ;)

Nothing new!You have to educate those Radio Shack Clerks about everything.I don't mean to sound like I'm prejudiced,but its the god honest truth.Whenever i go in there to ask about something,9 out of 10 times they don't have a clue what I'm talking about and i ask about the simplest things that that ANYONE should know about ESPECIALLY if you work in an electronics store.It just blows me away,it really does. :x :ponder: :?

That's gone now. I asked a while back if you could still order them and the employees there didn't even know what I was talking about. I had to *educate* them. ;)

Nothing new!You have to educate those Radio Shack Clerks about everything.I don't mean to sound like I'm prejudiced,but its the god honest truth.Whenever i go in there to ask about something,9 out of 10 times they don't have a clue what I'm talking about and i ask about the simplest things that that ANYONE should know about ESPECIALLY if you work in an electronics store.It just blows me away,it really does. :x :ponder: :?

Cell Phone Shack ticks me off to no end with this crap. All you will get is someone who knows nothing spouting out what they are TOLD to say about something.. if what you ask is not quiet in the scope of their brainwashing, they fry out and have to be replaced.

Target is the same way... but that is another story..

• Like 1

A good friend of mine used to work as a manager at Radio Shack. Back then, all the employees had to periodically pass a test on various electronic components and workings. I looked through the study guide they had and it was pretty in-depth. I learned a good bit from the guide book and I would have considered myself pretty knowledgeable at the time, (much more so than today since I've forgotten so much). Apparently they've severely cut their standards since it's now all about cell phones.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine used to work as a manager at Radio Shack. Back then, all the employees had to periodically pass a test on various electronic components and workings. I looked through the study guide they had and it was pretty in-depth. I learned a good bit from the guide book and I would have considered myself pretty knowledgeable at the time, (much more so than today since I've forgotten so much). Apparently they've severely cut their standards since it's now all about cell phones.

Yup. Used to work there myself, and let me tell you, it was a BIG stack of manuals you had to test on. Pretty comprehensive stuff too. I learned quite a lot, actually, even if the corporation itself was a tight-fisted, dishonest, tool-ridden collection of kiss-ups and tin-plated dictators. Only job I've ever walked out on.

But, yeah, that catalog ... man. I ordered a ton of games out of it, and I got a large chunk of my rare intellivision games that way. It was awesome. This was back before I had access to a regular internet connection (pre-ebay), so I had no access to any old games but what I could find at thrifts and garage sales.

The first one I ordered was AD&D on the Intelly. Man, the first time in years I'd gotten a spanking brand new Intelly or Atari game in the mail... priceless.

I miss that catalog :(

• 1 year later...

Update:

I've been playing my Coleco for the past few days and tried a cart for the first time that I thought was a Coleco cart. I think I bought this back in 1999 in the early days of ebay. I didn't remember what I had intended to buy, but thought it must have been a mix-up by the seller since the shell is shaped like a Coleco shell. Also, it's missing the end label. I put it with my Coleco collection and never got around to playing it.

Anyway, I stuck this in my Coleco today expecting it to be Jungle Hunt or something (based on the front label), and just got a black screen. I tried cleaning the contacts and that's when I noticed the pins looked a lot more like an Atari cart, which is what I would have intended to buy back in 1999.

I stuck it in my Atari and lo-and-behold, it was Bobby is Going Home. Now I kinda remember buying it. I wish it hadn't taken 12 years to realize I had it. I'm also glad I didn't screw it up by trying to play it in my Coleco. :dunce:

post-9364-0-27766600-1304900067_thumb.jpg

P.S.

Referring back to my original post, the box at this link looks like the box I saw at Radio Shack way back:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-bobby-is-going-home_8276.html

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

I've always wondered about my copy:

post-29022-0-99854200-1305317520_thumb.png

post-29022-0-98127400-1305317522_thumb.png

The cart looks like some kind of pirate, but it's really short (about 2/3 the length of a normal cart). Does anyone know who manufactured this? (PS: it's NTSC)

The cart looks like some kind of pirate, but it's really short (about 2/3 the length of a normal cart). Does anyone know who manufactured this? (PS: it's NTSC)

i have several different titles of this short carts too. all in "taiwan cooper black" boxes.

really crazy

i have several different titles of this short carts too. all in "taiwan cooper black" boxes.

really crazy

• 5 years later...