IGNORED

Your biggest 2600 disappointment

zylon

I'm surprised no one has written Centipede Arcade yet...

A Centipede on the 2600 where all the mushrooms look like mushrooms is impossible, unless you're willing to accept a full-screen flickerfest. Note that on both independently-developed versions of 2600 Millipede, the mushrooms are still blocks.

For me it's probably Miner 2049er. I read about how great this game was and couldn't wait to get it for my Atari. Tigervision games weren't easy to find where I lived so the fact that we had to search for it made me want it that much more. My parents got this game for me while I was sick. Unfortunately it played so terribly slow, it made me even sicker :(

That's another one I wasn't even aware existed until the 90's. Anyway, got rid of my copy long ago... have the TI-99 version and love it! Burgertime has got to be up there also for unnecessarily slow gameplay...

Burgertime is another one of my disappointments! We played it tons on my best friends intellivision and I was pretty excited to finally be able to get this for my

Atari. In general I thought MNetwork did a pretty good job in porting games over to the 2600 but Burgertime was the exception. I'm generally pretty forgiving when it comes to graphics as long as the gameplay is good. In this case they screwed up both the graphics and the gameplay!

I can't believe the little love shown for Burgertime! I guess I'm weird in the fact that I always enjoyed it and thought it to be a great translation. It was one of my favorites!

Like many others, my disappointments included Pac-Man and the Swordquest series. Badly done all round.

Amidar and Super Cobra springs to mind. I was a huge fan of Amidar and very p***** off with it when I was finally able to rent it. Super Cobra was like a holy grail game in the UK, immensly hyped and hard to find and when I did play it I felt sorely cheated. The same was true for Burger Time, what a load of crap ;)

Wow I can't believe someone said Phoenix...I thought that was an excellent port! I'm going to take the beaten path and pick some different albeit the ones that were mentioned were also on my list. One for me was Jedi Arena....Being a huge Star Wars fan I picked it up not seeing any reviews or anything. Wow....I had pictured something different. James Bond was the other one for me. Remember that cool screenshot with the train? Yeahhhhh; instead you get this abomination!

I can't believe the little love shown for Burgertime! I guess I'm weird in the fact that I always enjoyed it and thought it to be a great translation. It was one of my favorites!

I love the VCS Burgertime! I like it way better than the NES port! I can play BT for hours on my 2600. I'm working on a pattern.

I loved all my games,including 2600 Pac-Man.I must admit though,i was a tad disappointed with Apollo Games "Final Approach"But after a while learning how to play it,i started liking it.If one knew not to expect what you saw on the box art,which made game seem super amazing,then you were alright,for me anyway. ;)

I love the VCS Burgertime! I like it way better than the NES port! I can play BT for hours on my 2600. I'm working on a pattern.

icon_eek.gif

Is there a crystal or CPU change on the 2600 mobo I am unaware of? lol That game seriously needs to be sped up to become playable for me! icon_woozy.gif

I was disappointed by quite a few but here's two:

Miner 2049er - The VCS version is god awful. Made especially worse because my first exposure to the game was the CV version. I know many people think the CV version is inferior to the A8's or the 5200 but i prefer it.

James Bond - Why did the ads have a cool climbing a side of a train screen and the game was a bad version of Moon Patrol? The game itself is OPK but I wanted to run around shooting guys and nailing chicks with suggestive names.

Add me to the list of those disappointed by SwordQuest: EarthWorld. I was so looking forward to it... a fantasy quest type game with a real-life contest! How could that not be awesome? When it finally came out, I pored over the instructions and comic and then put the game in and excitedly started playing. I got the first clue, was thrilled, then... didn't get another one. Realized that I had no idea how to get another one... and was going to have to just walk around randomly putting stuff places. And that it took forever because of having to do the mini-games. Was a very disillusioning experience. For the next couple of months I tried periodically to get farther, but never made much progress, and would just end up playing the Frogger room over and over. Eventually I traded it to one of my friends for his copy of Dark Cavern (which ended up being my favorite 2600 game ever). I felt a little guilty about it, but he was all excited about the deal, since he hadn't played SQ yet.

Yeah, I forgot to mention SwordQuest: EarthWorld. Adventure game my butt. Nothing but a collection of insulting, uninteresting, poorly done rip-offs of other games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZoeoW2FAo&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZoeoW2FAo&rel=0&fmt=18&showinfo=0

No, SwordQuest was not amazing 'back in the day.' The promise of a cool new adventure game was amazing, but the actual game they gave us was a slap in the face. "Here you go, you stupid little mouth breathers. You'll buy anything that looks shiny and new, so here's a jewel encrusted turd. Enjoy."

I haven't bothered to insert a Swordquest cartridge since I was disappointed with Waterworld back in the late 90's. Seriously... haven't plopped in Earth or Fireworld since the 80's and after watching that lame ass video of its "game play" (how can anyone complain about E.T. comparatively?), I think those games shall forever remain untouched by these hands. lol

Lol at all the NES Burgertime hate. I played the fuck out of the NES Burgertime at my cousins' house as a kid. I always looked forward to going over there for two reasons: Ice Hockey and Burgertime on the NES. The 2600 port isn't bad, IMO, but I prefer the NES version: it just feels closer to the arcade for me.

But my biggest 2600 disappointment? Not counting the unfinished Tempest rom, I'd have to say Pac-Man and Defender. Both games just feel like garbage to me. That said, for some reason, I still play both from time to time.

Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. Not only did they both suck ass compared to what they were "supposed" to look like, but they were INCREDIBLY easy to master. In both cases, dropping $40+ bucks on a crappy game was bad enough, but both were almost totally unplayable for more than a week.

the worst thing with 2600 games is seeing the box art and having the game be nothing like the cover picture. That is deceptive advertising to the max! And they even went as far as to to add smoke trails and curves to moving objects in the faked screenshots!

At least with today's generation; the games are often exactly like the box art, if not better!

* Donkey Kong Jr. -- the more I think about that game for the 2600, the more I like 2600 Donkey Kong.

* Basic Programming -- great marketing strategy, Atari: make kids think they'll turn their lowly 2600 into a personal computer with this cartridge. Didn't happen.

* Swordquest series -- made many Atari 2600 owners realize that Mattel (to use a modern-day term) pwned the role-playing adventure game genre for game consoles with their Advanced Dungeons & Dragons games.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

the worst thing with 2600 games is seeing the box art and having the game be nothing like the cover picture. That is deceptive advertising to the max! And they even went as far as to to add smoke trails and curves to moving objects in the faked screenshots!

At least with today's generation; the games are often exactly like the box art, if not better!

Yeah, what the hell do guys in space suits have to do with Breakout? Maybe they forget the marquee was of a prisoner busting bricks...

Michael is very helpful and extremely friendly in the programming forum. I'm glad he won :)

I got bad news for ya. No matter how much you kiss up to me, NO, I WON'T LET YOU BORROW THE CHALICE TO DRINK YOUR BEER FROM! :x

Michael :D

PS-- I'm glad I won, too! ;)

BEER?????Yuk.If i had the chalice it would be Perrier,Lemon carbonated Spring water,with LOTS of ice cubes.Cool,refreshing, and wont make you fat. :lust: ;)

Superman. Man, those graphics were blocky and horrible.

what?!? superman was always one of my favorite games on 2600. and although i wouldn't put it in a list of "best 2600 graphics", i always thought they were decent enough. especially since it was released somewhat earlier in the machines' lifespan.