IGNORED

Timex-Sinclair 1000/ZX-81 vs. 3M Post-It Note

Mirage

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better? Timex-Sinclair/ZX-81 or 3M Post-It Note?

• The TS-1000/ZX-81 is superior in every way, poopyhead.
    • To anyone but a total doo-doo for brains, the Post-It is the better platform.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

post-16769-126273117249_thumb.jpg

RULES:

1) Original released machines only.

- Original 3M Post-It Note only (clone machines will be ignored for this poll and discussion as many innovations were made later such as the accordian fold).

2) Any upgrades available within a 2 year period of original release can be taken into consideration.

- 3M Post-It was released 1979, TS-1000/ZX-81 was released 1982. For the TS, we can count 16k expansion and printer. For the 3M, we can count the printed lines upgrade. For the 3M product, single or multiple pen-type input devices are allowed and assumed as primary method of data entry. The Sinclair unit has the built-in "keyboard".

3) No spineless answers like "They each have their own strengths and are today very affordable, so just buy one of each and enjoy them".

- The two machines are quite closely matched, but there must certainly be a clear winner here, and if you don't fall into alignment, you will be enlightened by the hammer of truth.

I realize there are a lot of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing fans here from 3MAge.com, but I hope there are plenty of LowEndClive.com members too, to make this interesting.

• Haha 1

Post-It Notes are better because: they have more storage capacity out of the box, they support lower-case characters and color, and you can use them for as long as you like without worrying about overheating.

(Granted, you can put the T/S 1000 in the freezer first to delay the overheating problem--as I used to do with mine--but again, this isn't necessary with Post-It Notes. In fact, they work fine stuck right on the freezer door!).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm voting for the Post-It notes. They've got a more user-friendly interface and a higher resale value.

Next up, Spectrum vs. a coloring book and some crayons! I'd vote for the coloring book, because you can actually blend more than two colors together on each page.

• Like 1

Post it note's don't have the famous 'ram pack wobble'...and they come in a variety of interesting colours/colors

Foul! They didn't come in other colors until later. (See Rule #2) :) But the RAM pack wobble is a brilliant point.

A Post-It notes block works if you turn it over. The ZX81 still works if you turn it over too but it has reduced functionality because the keyboard is no longer accessable and it may also suffer from RAM pack wobble and crash while being moved. Again Post-It notes are superior.

Well... I use post it notes just about every day at work. I've never used the ZX at work.

I had to vote with my experience.

<edit>

btw... post it notes don't require a connection to an outlet or a TV as a display screen.

Hmmmm.... does that qualify them as a low end laptop?

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 1

You can play high resolution movies on the Post-It notes as long as you draw them flick book stylee. Hand drawing graphics is quicker and easier and therefore superior to drawing anything on the ZX81.

Funnily enough there are some hires games for the ZX81 ( via some awesome software hacks :) ) -

:D

Post it note's don't have the famous 'ram pack wobble'...and they come in a variety of interesting colours/colors

Foul! They didn't come in other colors until later. (See Rule #2) :) But the RAM pack wobble is a brilliant point.

Actually, I disagree!

The RAM pack is designed to expand the memory on the system.

In order to do that with the post it, you have to get another pack and try to stick it to the older pack.

When I've done this, from time to time, the "merged" post-it pack does separate where I joined them, so it CAN suffer from the same basic issue. But I think it's a more stable design in general.

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1