IGNORED

Old BBS ATASCII Screens?

doctor_x

Does anyone have any thoughts of where I might find some of the old ATASCII bbs screens that were used back in the day?

I'm putting up a CARINA telnet board to support 8 Bit Underground and would like to use some existing art rather than creating my own.. I remember some excellent stuff - but like the other stuff I've been searching for I have had a hard time finding anything on the internet.

Also - and I havent searched for this yet, so dont flame me if the answer is easy - but is there a way to create ATASCII screens on the PC? I guess something like ATASCII Animator (which is what i used back in the day) for the PC?

Thanks all for responses..

This doesn't help you directly, but here are some intro screens I did for my Carina II BBS "back in the day":

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/82649-phantasmal-alchemy-bbs-atascii-intro-screens/

These are actually scans from printouts that I still have. Sadly that is ALL I have left from the BBS and I need to convert these to actual ATASCII files someday (which should be pretty easy). Ha, looks like I said the same thing in my post from four years ago. :ponder:

An ATASCII editor for the PC would make that much easier--I do not know if one exists.

Have fun!

..Al

Albert - exactly what I'm looking for if they were downloads rather than scans - and very nice artwork for sure!

thanks!

This doesn't help you directly, but here are some intro screens I did for my Carina II BBS "back in the day":

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/82649-phantasmal-alchemy-bbs-atascii-intro-screens/

These are actually scans from printouts that I still have. Sadly that is ALL I have left from the BBS and I need to convert these to actual ATASCII files someday (which should be pretty easy). Ha, looks like I said the same thing in my post from four years ago. :ponder:

An ATASCII editor for the PC would make that much easier--I do not know if one exists.

Have fun!

..Al

Have fun!

..Al

Sweet - 40megs online! I'm almost finished downloading everything on your site with my 300bps connection...

:)

Sweet - 40megs online! I'm almost finished downloading everything on your site with my 300bps connection...

:)

LOL, yeah, 40MB was almost infinite storage for the Atari 8-bit computers back then! :D

..Al

40MB! And I thought I was the man back then running 4 Indus GT drives on my BBS!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On a 90k SS/SD disk somewhere in my basement is the logon screen from "The Pig and Whistle BBS" in Montreal from the late 80s; if I can dig it out, I'll upload it.

The Pig and Whistle BBS... man, names like that strangely take me back. :)

For ATASCII screens, drop Cybernoid a line. He had one for his Carina BBS he put up for a while.

On a 90k SS/SD disk somewhere in my basement is the logon screen from "The Pig and Whistle BBS" in Montreal from the late 80s; if I can dig it out, I'll upload it.

The Pig and Whistle BBS... man, names like that strangely take me back. :)

For ATASCII screens, drop Cybernoid a line. He had one for his Carina BBS he put up for a while.

I need to go through my old floppies - I should have a few in there somewhere.

• 3 years later...

Wanted to resurrect this thread because I've posted some ATASCII animations on my blog.

In 1985, ANTIC Magazine published Mat*Rat's "Atari 'Toons" program, then asked readers to enter an animation contest. The winner would receive a 1200 baud modem. The video captures I made show the winning animations from ANTIC's contest, as well as two example animations created by Mat*Rat himself.

helptoon.png

The Atari 'Toons program allowed users to customize the ATASCII character set. The image above uses such a modified character set.

Edited by Kirkman
  • Like 3

Gozar, seems some of my Textile coding in an entry from last fall was breaking the feed.

I use the NewsBlur newsreader, which I guess is more forgiving of broken feeds, and everything looked normal there.

Thanks for the heads up. I fixed the feed and it now validates.

I don't know how long it will take for Feedly to update, though. :(

Well,

attached you will find some ATASCII animations and movies, as well as some programs to generate them. Think at one time I also extracted a few ATASCII intro-screens from demos and (cracked) games, alas here are only two of them (have to look for the others)... even some tool-programs like Masher-XL, Masher-XE, Disk-Communicator and others did contain ATASCII-intro screens.

And err, a search result at Fandal gives you this:

http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=ASCII&butt_details_x=

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin