IGNORED

Games Beaten in 2010!

StanJr

Just finished Shadowgate for nes. Only took about 2 1/2 hours. Pretty fun, but way too short adventure game.

Good work!...that one took us forever to finish years ago, you didn't use help? The trial and error alone was killer, so many hours trying to use the orb on the water...yikes.

Yeah, it took me a lot more than 2 1/2 hours to get through it my first time, so either you used a guide (I don't blame you), or you're just damn-good.

One of the fun things about this game is when you know exactly what to do, you can run through it in about twenty minutes. :)

Yeah, it took me a lot more than 2 1/2 hours to get through it my first time, so either you used a guide (I don't blame you), or you're just damn-good.

I try not to use guides as much as possible unless I'm ridiculously stuck. I play a LOT of adventure type games. Lots of interactive fiction too. I'm used to those types of puzzles so I always try everything in a room. Mostly pc. I have played the windows version of shadowgate years ago. Didn't get all the way through though. I remembered a couple things from back then, so that helped. Plus constant saving. I did die quite a few times. I also played it continuously straight for the 2 1/2 hours (give or take) :)

Four games so far this year, three of which were disappointments:

Bedlam (Tandy CoCo) - frustrating text adventure set in an asylum

Double Dragon (Genesis) - rare game but a lousy port, I beat this in about an hour on the hardest setting

Medieval Adventure (C64) - essentially a very short Choose Your Own Adventure book masquerading as a text adventure/RPG

Light Crusader (Genesis) - underrated isometric RPG/puzzle game

Both Bedlam and Medieval Adventure include random elements in the gameplay, and in both cases it's just plain frustrating: if something isn't working you have no way of knowing whether you've made a poor choice, or are simply on the wrong end of a random number generator. Medieval Adventure is particularly indefensible, in that the final battle is decided completely by chance -- the game's written in BASIC, so it's easy enough to check! It's hard to believe it was actually considered worthy of commercial publication.

Light Crusader, OTOH, is a nifty little game that seems to have been overlooked. Recommended if you like action RPGs with puzzles that are tricky but fair (except for the "penumbra" one).

Ghosts n' Goblins on NES

Wow, that was painful. Took all day, but after the first wrap it only took another hour and a half. In retrospect, it's kinda like a spiritual retreat...you curse and curse, but in the end, it's when you give in to the difficulty and beat it anyway that you get the real reward! I did have to find an FAQ from years ago once I got to level six though...I kinda wish I stuck to my intuition but I was ready to commit hari-kiri! What a tough game.

Ghosts n' Goblins on NES

Wow, that was painful. Took all day, but after the first wrap it only took another hour and a half. In retrospect, it's kinda like a spiritual retreat...you curse and curse, but in the end, it's when you give in to the difficulty and beat it anyway that you get the real reward! I did have to find an FAQ from years ago once I got to level six though...I kinda wish I stuck to my intuition but I was ready to commit hari-kiri! What a tough game.

Once I beat Ghosts n' Goblins for the first time I just kept on going and continued to beat it over and over like four of five times and had a BLAST doing it. What a great game, those later levels are so tough!

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS)

Picked Amane's path, which may not have been the best choice for a first

run through. The game gets much harder on the 7th day, and level

grinding doesn't help much. I'm not used to RPGs with no restorative

items to get you out of a bind. I had to replay boss battles (which can

get long near the end) several times to figure out what demon/skill

combinations make them remotely survivable.

Just put legend of the Mystical Ninja to bed last night. I had wanted to play that game since it was new and never had the chance before now. I can't say that I understood anything that happened in the game since it is sooo Japanese, but I did enjoy playing it for sure. I think I have the GB version somewhere I should try.

Also beat Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi with a couple different characters. The game's story again makes no sense, but it's a decent fighter I suppose. Being a Star Wars game is usually an automatic pass from me, and playing as Mara Jade is too cool :thumbsup:

The list so far;

SNES

Addams Family

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Playstation

Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi

this week I have conquered:

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers

Duck Tales

both for the NES…

it had been years since I played these games through to completion and I wanted the joy of completing something this year lol…

Two great games, especially Ducktales!

I just beat, I guess, Octomania for the Wii. I'm not sure you can beat this very strange puzzle game or if what I did constitutes "beating" it, but I got to the credits screen on all three difficulty levels, so I'm calling that a win.

Not a bad puzzler really, but very Japanese and the control scheme makes it extraordinarily difficult. On the flip side, if you cannot beat a level the first time, they give you a power-up which all but promises you a victory on the next attempt.

Ah well, only cost me $10...

this week I have conquered:

Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers

Duck Tales

both for the NES…

it had been years since I played these games through to completion and I wanted the joy of completing something this year lol…

Two great games, especially Ducktales!

great games indeed :)

now to try the sequals - well at least Rescue Rangers 2 as that's the only one I have gotten…

#5 for me is the New Super Mario Bros. (Wii). I had gotten halfway through World 7 about a month ago but ended up forgetting about the game. Went back to it this morning and decided to finish it (I think it only took about an hour from that point). Kind of easy compared to the older Mario games, even world 8.. Oh well, I guess that's what the Star World is for (Hopefully, anyway, but the first stage in that even seems tame. Hm.)..

Edited by Austin

A productive weekend, video game-wise so I'm adding Quake 2 and Power Rangers. Quake 2 is a long time coming as I've tried to finish it 3 times before over the past 10 years. Power Rangers is a prety simple action game but I enjoyed it.

The list so far;

SNES

Addams Family

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

N64

Quake 2

Playstation

Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi

#6 for me is Clive Barker's Jericho for the PC. I had originally finished it about a year and a half ago, but I was running less than ideal hardware back then. Now I'm on a better rig and I received a new video card a few weeks back, so I decided to go through it again and experience it with its max settings. I finished it first early today, then found out that there were a lot of things still locked. I decided to run through it again on hard mode in the same sitting (and did so in about 3 1/2 hours). Definitely a pretty cool game when you actually know how to play it well (IMO, a game that is better experienced the second time through).

Edited by Austin

Sword of Fargoal for the iPhone. There's a $500 prize for the first person to win it, but I'm sure when the contest ends I won't have been first. If you've got an iPhone, you should definitely get it... see my comments in this thread for more details.

BTW, have any of you ever won the original? I still haven't after all these years.

Edited by pinball22

I finally beat "Donkey Kong Country 2" on BSNES, and I did it with my new Logitech dual action gamepad. I gave the thing a damned workout... that's for sure.

I went straight through without getting many coins or entering the Lost World. Going straight through was tough enough. It took me many, many tries to survive "Screech's Sprint" (ugh, one little wrong move and you're toast) and the final boss. This was a toughie, right up there with "Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts" in terms of difficulty. To think that I only completed about half of it. I know Lost World is supposed to have the most challenging levels.