IGNORED

Games Beaten in 2010!

StanJr

Just beat The Guardian Legend on the NES :D

What an outstanding experience! The makers of M.U.S.H.A. Aleste make the NES explode with excellent graphics, one of the best NES soundtracks and fascinating gameplay that is a crossover between Aleste and Zelda - a NESsential in my book! :)

Ok, brother help me out. I have tried to play this game a few times and I never can get into it. I really really like the concept and the game mechanics, but something is missing for me. What don't I know about this game that will lock it in as one of my new favorites? I really like the mix of dungeon exploration and side scrolling shooting action, but I think I'm getting stuck in the dungeon parts. I need to play it again and see where I am getting stuck. Congrats! :spidey:

Edited by StanJr

Ok, brother help me out. I have tried to play this game a few times and I never can get into it. I really really like the concept and the game mechanics, but something is missing for me. What don't I know about this game that will lock it in as one of my new favorites? I really like the mix of dungeon exploration and side scrolling shooting action, but I think I'm getting stuck in the dungeon parts. I need to play it again and see where I am getting stuck. Congrats! :spidey:

I'm right with you on this one.. I love Musha and the rest of the Aleste series.. But I don't love this game. Just can't get into it for some reason. I think it's actually because of the top-down stages.. But please, input is desired here. Maybe I can make myself really like this game. :ponder:

I'm right with you on this one.. I love Musha and the rest of the Aleste series.. But I don't love this game. Just can't get into it for some reason. I think it's actually because of the top-down stages.. But please, input is desired here. Maybe I can make myself really like this game. :ponder:

Hm... if you two can get any more precise on what is exactly bothering you, I can see and think if I have a tip or two to remedy that. E.g if you're really just stuck somewhere Stan, I'm pretty sure I could eventually help you out :)

Hm... if you two can get any more precise on what is exactly bothering you, I can see and think if I have a tip or two to remedy that. E.g if you're really just stuck somewhere Stan, I'm pretty sure I could eventually help you out :)

Ok, so I gave it more time today and I think I know where I was getting stuck. I couldn't beat the Fish-clops boss at the end of Corridor 1. Once I did that, today, a whole new world (literally and figuratively) was opened to me and I now understand the glory of this game. It is freaking cool! But that password is a monster. Would it have killed them to add a battery? This game is every bit as good as Metroid and it's like that game + Zelda + Gradius. Thank you for making me give it another chance! I know what I'm playing for the next several weeks! :spidey:

Edited by StanJr

But that password is a monster. Would it have killed them to add a battery?

Not sure if that is a viable option for you, but I just had the NES running for a week ;)

This game is every bit as good as Metroid and it's like that game + Zelda + Gradius. Thank you for making me give it another chance! I know what I'm playing for the next several weeks! :spidey:

I agree that it shares elements with Metroid as well - thank heavens not the backtracking though :lolblue:

But that password is a monster. Would it have killed them to add a battery?

Not sure if that is a viable option for you, but I just had the NES running for a week ;)

This game is every bit as good as Metroid and it's like that game + Zelda + Gradius. Thank you for making me give it another chance! I know what I'm playing for the next several weeks! :spidey:

I agree that it shares elements with Metroid as well - thank heavens not the backtracking though :lolblue:

I've never really been able to see what is so special about TGL. On paper it sounds awesome, but I've always been underwhelmed whenever I play it. IMO a lackluster shooter + a weak top-down adventure != fun. :ponder:

Somewhat relatedly, do you guys like Blaster Master as well? In the same vein; another Metroid/Zelda/Shooter mashup for the NES.

Edited by vdub_bobby

I've never really been able to see what is so special about TGL. On paper it sounds awesome, but I've always been underwhelmed whenever I play it. IMO a lackluster shooter + a weak top-down adventure != fun. :ponder:

Hm... I couldn't think of a better vertical scrolling shooter on the NES. I can agree on the actual adventuring elements being rather weak, but I like those top-down parts just for the shooting already (way better than Gauntlet! :lolblue:), as well as for the rpg style leveling up. Only thing I'd criticize is that it's a bit too easy in the middle levels.

Somewhat relatedly, do you guys like Blaster Master as well? In the same vein; another Metroid/Zelda/Shooter mashup for the NES.

I'm trying to get a cheap copy from eBay for two years now, so maybe it's time to give in and try it in emulation.

(It's not present (yet?) in the European VC either.)

Hm... I couldn't think of a better vertical scrolling shooter on the NES.

Oh c'mon; the NES lacks decent side-scrolling shooters but it's overflowing with vertical shooters.

1943 just blows the shooting parts of TGL away; so do the vertical levels of Life Force.

Gun-Nac also stands head and shoulders above TGL. Others...Legendary Wings, Sky Shark, Twin Eagle, Twin Cobra at all about as good as TGL's shooting parts.

Plus there's the almost-perfect port of Galaga.

Oh c'mon; the NES lacks decent side-scrolling shooters but it's overflowing with vertical shooters.

1943 just blows the shooting parts of TGL away; so do the vertical levels of Life Force.

Gun-Nac also stands head and shoulders above TGL. Others...Legendary Wings, Sky Shark, Twin Eagle, Twin Cobra at all about as good as TGL's shooting parts.

Uhm... no. Not saying that they all suck, but I'd consider none of the ones I played as enoyable as TGL. (IIRC I've beaten 1943, Life Force, Sky Shark and Legendary Wings). I wish Gun-Nac was available here, since it's also from Compile and I'd love to play it. Need to check out the Twin games.

Plus there's the almost-perfect port of Galaga.

I can agree on Galaga being another NES essential :)

Uhm... no. Not saying that they all suck, but I'd consider none of the ones I played as enoyable as TGL. (IIRC I've beaten 1943, Life Force, Sky Shark and Legendary Wings).

Fair enough - I haven't played all the way through TGL, so I'll assume it gets better (much better :P) than the small part I have played.

Yep, I love Blaster Master. That is probably Sunsoft's best game for the system.

Not that that's saying much. :ponder:

Edited by vdub_bobby

Arcade 1cc's (MAME):

Toki (easiest settings)

Area 88 (=UN Squadron, easiest settings)

And a weird one--I used to be able to finish Splatterhouse in one credit, but now it

kicks my butt. The monsters behave differently, there are ones which didn't show

up before, etc. I thought it might be the dip-switch settings, but it isn't. As far as

I can tell, the emulation wasn't right when I staterd practicing it, and it did all

sorts of weird things to gameplay.

It's also fun to play a game that wasn't emulated at full speed, and then go back

to playing it years later and realizing how hard it is at the proper speed settings!

Fair enough - I haven't played all the way through TGL, so I'll assume it gets better (much better :P) than the small part I have played.

Hm... how far did you play it then?

Yep, I love Blaster Master. That is probably Sunsoft's best game for the system.
Not that that's saying much. :ponder:

Ignoring all the hopeless ports of Sega & Midway Arcades and the crappy Ocean games they distributed (Lemmings, Platoon, ?), most of their own stuff is supposed to be pretty good I think:

Batman: Return of the Joker

Batman: The Video Game

Blaster Master

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Journey to Silius

I've only played Gremlins 2 and it definitely is a masterpiece, well deserving the 8.8 score from GameFAQs reviews :)

None of them are bad by any means, but when you want to play a shooter/platformer on the NES, you think first of Contra, Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man, Bionic Commando, or Ninja Gaiden. After you've played out those 15 games, then you think of Batman and Journey to Silius. And even then, among the lesser-known platformers for the NES, there are still plenty of other underappreciated games that are just as good or better: Shadow of the Ninja, Metal Storm, Vice: Project Doom, Strider, The Legend of Kage, Golgo 13, The Mafat Conspiracy, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Shatterhand, etc.

I.e., they're good, but nothing special at all. There are 15-20 games in the same genre, with the same theme, that are much better, and there are 20+ games that are just as good.

Edited by vdub_bobby

None of them are bad by any means, but when you want to play a shooter/platformer on the NES, you think first of Contra, Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man, Bionic Commando, or Ninja Gaiden.

Weird enough, none* of them made it into my personal NES essential list, but Gremlins 2 did ;)

(*Metroid Zero Mission is in my GBA list)

BTW: I beat Rock'n'Roll Racing (Rookie Level ;)) last night. (They really got away with it, without being sued from Nintendo? :o :o)

I've only played Gremlins 2 and it definitely is a masterpiece, well deserving the 8.8 score from GameFAQs reviews :)

I don't know that I'd call Gremlins 2 a masterpiece. It's a good game and pretty faitful to the movie, but it hardly turned heads when it was new and against the NES library, I wouldn't expect it to crack the top 100.

I did beat it though and it was fun :thumbsup:

None of them are bad by any means, but when you want to play a shooter/platformer on the NES, you think first of Contra, Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man, Bionic Commando, or Ninja Gaiden.

Weird enough, none* of them made it into my personal NES essential list, but Gremlins 2 did ;)

:o "Weird" is the right word, that's for sure.

I agree that most of those games can seem a bit dated (well, except Contra - I have yet to play a run-n-gun as good as that, though not for a lack of looking), but honestly, if you can't find a spot for any of those games in your NES library I have to call into question your classic gaming cred. :P

j/k, but seriously? Which NES run-n-gun platformers do you like?

EDIT: And to speak to the larger point; I'll grant Gremlins 2 (which I haven't played :() as a great game, but the rest of Sunsoft's library (outside of Blaster Master) is pretty forgettable. It isn't bad, it's just that unless you were a huge Batman/Platoon/Addam's Family fan in 1989 or whenever and fell in love with one of Sunsoft's licensed games, there's no real compelling reason to go back to those games. And their arcade ports range from awful (Spy Hunter) to passable (Xenophobe).

OTOH, Freedom Force is supposed to be very good, perhaps the best light gun game on the NES.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Rygar and Galivan, if they qualify? I still have a few to-be-played on the shelf, like the aforementioned Batman games or Bucky o'Hare though.

Even on the C64 I'd only consider Hawkeye worth playing. This genre made a significant quality jump on the 16 Bits and only very few 8-Bit games can compete with e.g. Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Turrican 2 or Super Shinobi, don't you agree?

Rygar and Galivan, if they qualify? I still have a few to-be-played on the shelf, like the aforementioned Batman games or Bucky o'Hare though.

Even on the C64 I'd only consider Hawkeye worth playing. This genre made a significant quality jump on the 16 Bits and only very few 8-Bit games can compete with e.g. Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Turrican 2 or Super Shinobi, don't you agree?

Actually, I kind of...um...skipped most of the 16-bit video game era. Though I am catching up as time (and $$) allow. ;)

So I haven't played Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts; Mega Turrican is only OK I thought (played the genny version), I have played Shinobi 3 (genny) and it is pretty cool. But I recently played Earthworm Jim and I was very disappointed. Super Metroid was very very good, though I found it almost insultingly easy. And of course the genny version of Midnight Resistance is terrible. :roll:

OTOH I really think Contra holds up amazingly well, and Castlevania; I am also a Mega Man fan though not as enthusiastically as I was 20 years ago. :lol:

Really, I think run-n-guns were best in the 8-bit days. I'm always open to persuasion otherwise of course; the problem is I don't own a SNES and the Genesis run-n-guns haven't impressed me tremendously.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Really, I think run-n-guns were best in the 8-bit days. I'm always open to persuasion otherwise of course; the problem is I don't own a SNES and the Genesis run-n-guns haven't impressed me tremendously.

Hm... maybe you're right. I don't remember that many either actually. On the Mega Drive it's mostly the three Shinobis. Hm... there were a few on the Amiga I enoyed, the Turricans, Gods and a superb version of Midnight Resistance. And on the SNES there was Actraiser, Castlevania, SG'n'G, Demons Crest, Contra III, Super Metroid, Super Star Wars Trilogy, Super Turrican I&II and I think either the Genny or SNES version of Sunset Riders was pretty good.

I think the SNES would win overall, albeit there's many games I still need to play. I'll tell you my final choice in a decade or two, okay? ;)

BTW: I had both Earthworm Jims for the GBA and wasn't too happy with them either. I thought it probably was an emulation problem though, so I'm actually waiting for the Wiiware remake now to give it another try ;)

#10 for myself is Mega Man 6 on the NES. It's been a while since I've done this one, so half the game was foreign to me (Damn you, aging memory!). Difficulty is balanced pretty well (there aren't any insanely out-there boss fights) and the game is pretty generous when it comes to giving you extra lives and energy tanks. :thumbsup:

#11 for myself is Mega Man 3 for the NES.. Man, I played this game so much when I was a kid that I still know the patterns and enemy placement for every spot in the game. Ugh. ;) Only took me about an hour to complete it, if that..! :)

Edited by Austin