IGNORED

Games Beaten in 2010!

StanJr

Beat 2 games last week that I have wanted to finish for ages.

The original Golden Axe, which I have always really liked even though there is no Golden Axe to be seen. :ponder:

And Donkey Kong Country 2. I used to dismiss this as more of the same back in the day, but it really is better than DKC in every way except characters, which is Rare's weakest link. Much better levels, gameplay, challenge, etc. I even spent the time to get all the bones coins and access the final-final boss and the proper ending :thumbsup:

SNES

Addams Family

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Magic Sword

Super Bomberman

Illusion of Gaia

Saturday Night Slam Masters

Nastsume Championship Wrestling

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Star Fox

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Super Mario World

Aliens vs. Predator

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

N64

Quake 2

Star Wars Episode I Racer

Cruis'n USA

Mario Kart 64

Playstation

Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi

GameBoy

Street Fighter II

Double Dragon II

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan

Tiny Toons Adventures: Babs' Big Break

WWF Superstars

Pokemon Red Version

GameBoy Colour

Bomberman Quest

GameGear

Mega Man

Batman Returns

Genesis

Golden Axe

Beat 2 games last week that I have wanted to finish for ages.

The original Golden Axe, which I have always really liked even though there is no Golden Axe to be seen. :ponder:

And Donkey Kong Country 2. I used to dismiss this as more of the same back in the day, but it really is better than DKC in every way except characters, which is Rare's weakest link. Much better levels, gameplay, challenge, etc. I even spent the time to get all the bones coins and access the final-final boss and the proper ending :thumbsup:

SNES

Addams Family

Magic Sword

Super Bomberman

Illusion of Gaia

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Star Fox

Super Mario World

Aliens vs. Predator

What was the hardest level in DKC2, in your opinion? "Screech's Sprint" was a real bitch and took me many tries to complete. But I didn't play the extra levels such as "Animal Antics" which are supposed to be even harder.

What was the hardest level in DKC2, in your opinion? "Screech's Sprint" was a real bitch and took me many tries to complete. But I didn't play the extra levels such as "Animal Antics" which are supposed to be even harder.

Animal Antics is the final secret level and is no picnic. You play as all the animal buddies in turn and the stretch after the star barrel where you need to play through Squitter, the Parrot and Rattly mini levels in succession had me almost just giving up. Definitely the most frustrating level.

I think I died more on Kastle Krush than any other level though.

YES. You have not beaten it until you play the post-mission. And even then you can go back for 100% completion.

I didn't manage to beat the attacker that comes after the second super bomb door yet. Is it really worth it? :)

Oh dear yes. If not for the coda of the story, for the extra boss fight for sure. Wow.

Also, those power bomb bugs take different strategies. Some you have blast them until they turn red and then super missile them (you'll know this is the case if they start dodging your charged blasts), sometimes twice with the super missiles. Others you can just pummel with charged blasts until they pop. Keep at it, and save often if they are giving you fits.

Couple more to add;

Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems - neat side scrolling beat em up /action hybrid game. Didn't realise it's full potential I feel, but still fun. Any game with Hulk as a playable character gets an automatic pass with me. Capcom on the SNES is pretty remarkable when you start looking at all the good to excellent games they made during that time

Batman: the Video Game - I am sure this us under most people's radar. Believe me when I say it's a pretty great game though. Think Megaman meets Castelvania meets Gradius meets Batman. Good difficulty, great music and great satisfaction when you finally put the Joker down :thumbsup:

SNES

Addams Family

Magic Sword

Super Bomberman

Illusion of Gaia

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Star Fox

Super Mario World

Aliens vs. Predator

Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems

N64

Quake 2

Cruis'n USA

Mario Kart 64

Playstation

GameBoy

Street Fighter II

Double Dragon II

WWF Superstars

Pokemon Red Version

Batman: The Video Game

GameBoy Colour

Bomberman Quest

GameGear

Mega Man

Batman Returns

Genesis

Golden Axe

Katamari Damacy. I had gotten frustrated with the next-to-last main level years ago and stopped playing, but then when my friends' 8-year-old son asked if he could try it out recently I got interested again and finally finished it. There's tons of objects I never got, of course... not sure if I'm going to try to hunt them all down or just move on to We Heart Katamari.

Okay guys, tell me if you think this counts.

The game is Mystical Fighter and last night I made it to the end on the default setting which is Normal. However, upon doing so I get a message something like "COngratualtions! This is not the true ending, try the higher difficulty" and then the credits roll by.

the next difficulty is Hard and it's significantly more difficult. Mystical Fighter is a decent game, but honestly I can't see myself sitting down and mastering it to beat it on Hard.

So should I count this game as beaten? This is always a grey area for me

I normally only "count" it if I've gotten the best ending and/or beaten the game on the hardest settings, but it really depends on the game -- with some titles it's not realistic, or a worthwhile expenditure of effort. I'd say add it to your list, but make a note that there's still unfinished business. :)

I normally only "count" it if I've gotten the best ending and/or beaten the game on the hardest settings, but it really depends on the game -- with some titles it's not realistic, or a worthwhile expenditure of effort. I'd say add it to your list, but make a note that there's still unfinished business. :)

My usual criteria is to beat the game on default settings to count it as beaten. I figure that's the way it was intended to be played I guess, and if the game is really engaging, I'll go back and conquer the harder stuff to complete the game.

In most cases I'd mentally log this game as beaten, and yeah with a note that it's not fully completed. It jsut sucks that this game wants me to think otherwise and is denying me an ending :(

Zelda II Links Adventure

Legend of Zelda

Bubble Bobble (2 players)

Contra (2 players with Konami code)

Link's Awakening

Bionic Commando

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2 players and collected all coins)

Just finished Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

Can anyone suggest another game similar to Zelda II or Simon's Quest?

Star Tropics II for the NES is kind of like Zelda II. Definitely a good adventure game. Another is Rambo, although I definitely wouldn't recommend it =).

On another note, if you want a couple good games that take time, you could always go with Blaster Master or the Mega Man series. A lot of fun and definitely ones that will take some time to beat.

Cliff

Spent the weekend in Portland with my brother at the PRGE, and we put in some quality time on the Wii:

beat Contra: The Rebirth and Super Mario Bros. Wii

Also beat Super Mario Bros. 3 at the show.

So that brings me to:

Ninja Gaiden Black

Contra: The Rebirth

Super Mario Bros. Wii

Super Mario Bros. 3

Kind of a slow year so far for me...

Here is a couple I remember:

Super Dodge Ball (NES)

Adventure (Atari - Level 3)

Gyruss (NES)

Bad Dudes (MAME)

There are others, but I honestly didn't keep track as I played them.

Add Pitfall II (PSP Activision Classics) to the list. Ended up with a score of 133,215. Not my best score, but enough that I won the patch. Forgot there was no second level to the 2600 version.

k so I decided to not include Mystical Fighter until a time when I can beat it on hard, so never.

But I have finished off a couple more in the past week or so

X-Men Mutant Apocalypse- I was shocked to realise that this game came before War of the Gems, since it's much better IMO. The games are very similar in terms or play, characters, etc, though X-Men was much more difficult for me. Great game whether you like X-Men or not. Again, if you don't love Capcom on the SNES, you have problems

King of the Monsters - Still playing this one as I want to beat it on Mania. I like most Neo Geo-to-SNES ports and this is another good one. I am sure that most feel the original version is 'better' and I think has more characters, but for what it is, this SNES version is quite fun and satisfying. I'd love to get some 2 player action going here, maybe this weekend.

Here's my updated list of all games finished so far this year;

SNES

Addams Family

Magic Sword

Super Bomberman

Illusion of Gaia

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Star Fox

Super Mario World

Aliens vs. Predator

Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

King of the Monsters

N64

Quake 2

Cruis'n USA

Mario Kart 64

Playstation

GameBoy

Street Fighter II

Double Dragon II

WWF Superstars

Pokemon Red Version

Batman: The Video Game

GameBoy Colour

Bomberman Quest

GameGear

Mega Man

Batman Returns

Genesis

Golden Axe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to play and beat Castlevania Bloodlines recently. I've had my eye on that game since it was new, but never got to it for any number of reasons. Very good old-style Castlevania game. Compare it to Super Castlevania 4 and you might be dissappointed, but play it for what it is and you'll find one of the best action games for Genesis and worthy CV title

also Donkey Kong Land 2 - Better than DKL1 in all ways but story and originality. You see, Donkey Kong Land was a direct sequel to Donkey Kong Country, with a new story, new worlds, etc. DKL2 comes across as a remake of Doneky Kong Country 2, as it recycles the story and even the level names, etc - though the level designs are all different. Very fun still and amazing GB visuals of course

The list

SNES

Addams Family

Magic Sword

Super Bomberman

Illusion of Gaia

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Star Fox