IGNORED

It's coming! (to a jag near you)

belboz

Guys, next post from anyone in this thread that isn't on topic, and in particular is attacking someone else (or a group of someone elses) is going to result in that person being banned from this thread. If that keeps happening, those individuals are going to be banned from the Jaguar forum. Please stay on topic.

..Al

• Like 4

Belboz - you answered my level question on JS II - Ill post my followup here.

If you do a cart release is it possible to bootstrap the CD player to load new WADs - or even possible to switch over to the CD is you want to play a custom level.

Basically you would need the cart to play but somehow a new level could be run off CD.

Regardless cant wait to see the final product.

Gooch,

It is possible. A lot of it depends on how tight the cart space becomes.

Belboz - you answered my level question on JS II - Ill post my followup here.

If you do a cart release is it possible to bootstrap the CD player to load new WADs - or even possible to switch over to the CD is you want to play a custom level.

Basically you would need the cart to play but somehow a new level could be run off CD.

Regardless cant wait to see the final product.

6M carts are possible right :D

Sure and very expensive....I bet the cart cost more than $80 easy.

Not to mention those without a CD wont be able to play the WAD's.

CD would only be for extra/custom wad's not the core product one if possible. I can dream right? ;)

CD would only be for extra/custom wad's not the core product one if possible. I can dream right? ;)

That would be an amazing feature. In order to keep things within reason it would be easiest (and easy doesn't really play into this) to only support pwads built to play specifically on Death Tongue. Most of the wads out there were built for the PC and even PC's back in the day of doom2.exe were brought to their knees by what many of these wad developers tried to do. Building pwads specifically for the Jag would allow wad developers to be sure that the end result plays smoothly on the Jag and for the Death Tongue developers it would mean less work in producing the feature. Ultimately, with all the console ports of Doom (when considering only ports that were official or released on physical media), how many support loading in downloaded wads? That would be a big knock-out to Jag smack-talkers.

I think these guys are probably pretty focused on making Death Tongue but you have presented a really cool idea and it is interesting to think about how it could be approached and what could be possible. I'll go ahead and dream with you. :D

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Jaguar Doom is a port of PC Doom to the Jaguar. Done by Carmack himself. It isn't really different from the original. It has pretty much the same levels as original PC Doom (although not all of them because of cart space limitations. Plus it has I believe two new levels not in PC Doom).

No sure what you mean by locked.

Completely honest question guys..

Is the doom engine/game that different on the JAG then it was on the PC? It it locked or something?

I'll wait for replies before making any comments...

Jaguar Doom is a port of PC Doom to the Jaguar. Done by Carmack himself. It isn't really different from the original. It has pretty much the same levels as original PC Doom (although not all of them because of cart space limitations. Plus it has I believe two new levels not in PC Doom).

Is the doom engine/game that different on the JAG then it was on the PC? It it locked or something?

Here is why I asked...

from what I remember, and I've done plenty of this; Making Doom mods was a snap, crap I'd do them just because I was bored and had nothing better to do, took me from 2-6 hours to make a MOD, I worked on total conversion packeges for doom which didn't take more then 3 months, from concept to working game, and this is all people doing that on their spare time.

So, don't get me wrong here, but I don't see what's the big deal of changing a couple of textures, cerating a character and making different objects, that's the kind of stuff I used to do in a matter of hours..

Were the tools lost or something? There were tons of tools available to unpack WAD files, to re-crompres them, and endless turorials which were very well documented; I probably still have the MOD's and tools I used on my server somewhere...

And that's why I asked if somehow, on the JAG, these files were encrypted/locked or just different somehow which makes creating mods so hard...

Here is why I asked...

from what I remember, and I've done plenty of this; Making Doom mods was a snap, crap I'd do them just because I was bored and had nothing better to do, took me from 2-6 hours to make a MOD, I worked on total conversion packeges for doom which didn't take more then 3 months, from concept to working game, and this is all people doing that on their spare time.

So, don't get me wrong here, but I don't see what's the big deal of changing a couple of textures, cerating a character and making different objects, that's the kind of stuff I used to do in a matter of hours..

Were the tools lost or something? There were tons of tools available to unpack WAD files, to re-crompres them, and endless turorials which were very well documented; I probably still have the MOD's and tools I used on my server somewhere...

And that's why I asked if somehow, on the JAG, these files were encrypted/locked or just different somehow which makes creating mods so hard...

Several issues. First, the Jag code was a mix of assembly and C, and the compiler used was done in-house by ID. The tools for recompiling were lost for some time. Also, the WADs are in a different format to those of the PC.

The source for Jag Doom has been out for years and this is the first that has been done with it. If it was easy, we would have seen something before now. It's not "just a matter of changing a few textures".

Stephen Anderson

Several issues. First, the Jag code was a mix of assembly and C, and the compiler used was done in-house by ID. The tools for recompiling were lost for some time. Also, the WADs are in a different format to those of the PC.

The source for Jag Doom has been out for years and this is the first that has been done with it. If it was easy, we would have seen something before now. It's not "just a matter of changing a few textures".

Stephen Anderson

AH ha! I knew that had to been something, that's why I asked first! :)

Cudos to you sir!!

Well.....

It isn't that simple with the Jaguar. Yes there are tons of tools out there for working with PC Doom WAD files. Tons of specifications on the WAD file format. Level editors.... etc, etc, etc.

But the problem with Jag Doom is that the WAD file is not in this common PC Doom format. It is a unique format to the Jaguar port Carmack created. Why did he do this? Simply to keep things simple and reduce code size, and in game processing time. The Jag wad format shares a lot of similarities to the PC format, but it is also different enough to cause confusion.

So yes it is pretty simple to throw a level together with some textures and such, but that isn't the issue with Jag Doom hacking. I also don't want to belittle level design/art design/sprite design. Putting that all together into a level that is fun and challenging to play isn't easy.

But if you still think it sounds easy enough, feel free to start reverse engineering the WAD format yourself. The more the merrier!

Here is why I asked...

The Jaguar version of Doom is pretty low-resolution, too - definitely less than the 320 pixels/lines used on the PC version.

Is a resolution increase planned in Death Tongue, by the way ?

Wolfenstein 3D show it's possible to have a higher resolution while keeping a smooth framerate, but maybe the engine is optimized better.

The Jaguar version of Doom is pretty low-resolution, too - definitely less than the 320 pixels/lines used on the PC version.

Is a resolution increase planned in Death Tongue, by the way ?

Wolfenstein 3D show it's possible to have a higher resolution while keeping a smooth framerate, but maybe the engine is optimized better.

Unless they re-write the engine and drop a ton of 68k and move it over to the GPU, that aint happening.

DOOM is a much more cycle intense engine. W3D was a simple ray caster with few objects in the open areas

of the floor and one level , where as DOOM uses mid room objects such as pilars, and uses stairs and

upper and lower floors. The game logic and AI is also more cycle intensive. Carmack said it is possible

but would take a lot of work. I would not count on it unless Belboz and ViMaster intend to port the 68k

code over to GPU main RAM and re-write the gfx and sfx RISC engines in assembler.