IGNORED

Doom licensing thread

Hyper_Eye

Actually I think all of Gorf's points in this current 'rant' are absolutely valid and I stand behind them 100%.

I'm with Jagchris. :), Gorf IS absolutely right on this one with all his posts on this subject here. And hyperdude; who frickin' cares about Doom licensing mann not me? If Both Belboz & viMaster say that's all been covered and is good to go - well that's plenty good enough for me! ;) Because I'm very happy to see capable people doing something with the Doom Wads with the idea of presenting the graphically exchanged final product to the community :cool: - can't wait to buy it!!

I just can't understand why, and for lame, boring "red tape" concerns anyone would be bitching and pissing and moaning about if proper licensing of DOOM code was done!?!?- I really don't care. I'm just happy there's Jagdoomdev going on, and if anyone says that they know the entire Jag community for years,... well then... you should of known better than to try to doubt anything Belboz is doing.

Actually I think all of Gorf's points in this current 'rant' are absolutely valid and I stand behind them 100%.

I'm with Jagchris. :), Gorf IS absolutely right on this one with all his posts on this subject here. And hyperdude; who frickin' cares about Doom licensing mann not me? If Both Belboz & viMaster say that's all been covered and is good to go - well that's plenty good enough for me! ;) Because I'm very happy to see capable people doing something with the Doom Wads with the idea of presenting the graphically exchanged final product to the community :cool: - can't wait to buy it!!

I just can't understand why, and for lame, boring "red tape" concerns anyone would be bitching and pissing and moaning about if proper licensing of DOOM code was done!?!?- I really don't care. I'm just happy there's Jagdoomdev going on, and if anyone says that they know the entire Jag community for years,... well then... you should of known better than to try to doubt anything Belboz is doing.

When he said he had it all taken care of and was good to go the questions were answered and I didn't push the issue passed that point. I congratulated them on their success and moved on. There are two parties in particular that I don't see pushing the issue. That would be me, the original questioner, and Belboz or viMaster. Once an understanding was reached the conversation was concluded. Everyone that is continuing to push the issue is a third party. The fact that people don't care about licenses is not a positive thing. Those licenses are legally binding and they are enforced. Obviously Belboz and viMaster care about the licenses or they wouldn't have contacted ID Software about it. So that was it... the end of the conversation. They said the licenses were considered, ID was contacted, and everything will be in compliance. What they did makes the difference between being able to produce a finished product and actually distribute it versus finishing a product and getting caught in the red tape you didn't bother to care about. So I do not doubt what Belboz is doing. They are being smart and doing it the right way.

I never claimed to know the entire Jag community but I do know a lot of people in the community and a lot of them know me. I'm not going to slink away from the community because of this thread nor am I going to fall all over myself to get forgiveness. I asked some questions, they were answered, and the 64-bit beast roars on. "Hyperdude" will stay to post another day.

Look guys. There really isn't any debate left here on the licensing issue. Let me sum up things in regards to what viMaster and myself are doing.

1) If we do use any freedoom assets, we can. Their license allows it. Our goal is to replace all the assets. We want new monsters, all new artwork. This is not a knock against freedoom. They have some great stuff in there, and it is awesome that they make it available like they do. Freedoom assets were used in the demo video just so we could show something, and show that we had cracked the mysterious WAD format. You see a ton of viMaster's artwork in there. Things like the title screen, menus, text, status panel, doors, lights,etc. We used a couple floor and wall textures from freedoom and an ememy sprite for the demo video.

2) Since the Doom source is GPL'ed we will release our changes to the main Doom source back to the community per the license.

3) We will NOT be using any assets from id Software (be it the Jag doom WAD, PC Doom WAD, or any other id source). We are doing a total conversion which uses nothing from the original doom asset wise.

That pretty much sums it up.

God I have really learned to hate the Jag and the infiltrated part of the community.

I just have no desire to ever write another line of code for it again. So sad how a

jealous few can turn someone off like these clowns have with me.

"Jag Rules"

Edited by BuddyBuddies

God I have really learned to hate the Jag and the infiltrated part of the community.

I just have no desire to ever write another line of code for it again. So sad how a

"Jag Rules"

Make me an offer for my source code I can't refuse. Im done with it. Really. 7800 rules!

"Jag Rules"

Make me an offer for my source code I can't refuse. Im done with it. Really. 7800 rules!

:lust: really???

"Jag Rules"

7800 is ok , but Jaguar is easily the BEST Atari console.... :D Atari Jaguar 4-LIFE

Is your name John Carmack?

Are you a rights attorney for ID software?

WHY do you need to even question the legal bounds of what others are doing with any released Jag code?

If you did know Belboz you would have been more positive, as he knows what he is doing.

I just don't understand why you had to stick you nose in other people's business??? Couldn't you just say:

Hyper_Eye, on Thu Jan 7, 2010 9:38 PM, said:

Obviously I want to see this advance to completion. Keep up the good work guys.

Gorf said:

Now this is the response you should have had and nothing else from the get go.

and leave it on a positive note. Dude if it happens(and it will) it happens -YAY! If it doesn't well at least we were all totally positive all the way though. But nooo you had to bring us down.

It is not Gorf at fault arguing this time, Gorf is not starting anything and you have no answer for him as well, I see, could he be right then????

The fact that people don't care about licenses is not a positive thing. Those licenses are legally binding and they are enforced.

It doesn't concern me, I'm a Jag player, and it doesn't concern YOU either.

Everyone that is continuing to push the issue is a third party.

That includes YOU.

My final word here:

I'm not going to feed into your negativity Hyper, or argue any further with you, as the Jag scene DOES NOT NEED THIS and I would like to respect Chicky's wishes but I did need to give my opinion(above post) of this needless DOOM "rights" concern of yours as well as support my online friends who are trying to do something really cool for Jaguar fans.

So, Let just agree to disagree then, I'm not trippin' on the DOOM rights - you are. If you really care about the Jag scene you should be able to see this conversation line is very detrimental!!! - LET IT GO!!!! If you don't have anything positive to say and can only express the hazey cloud of doubt - then say nothing at all, please. Thank You. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

7800 is ok , but Jaguar is easily the BEST Atari console.... :D Atari Jaguar 4-LIFE

The machine is great yes and was the apple of my eye but the assholes associated with it dont

deserve the time of day. Im tired of waiting over a decade for a renderer and quiet frankly

have much better things to do with my time. The 7800 has fans that REALLY appreciate the efforts

without the complaints(except on or two) but here it seems like every other JAg person is a dumb fuck.

• Like 1