IGNORED

Quantizator

ilmenit

I have uploaded RastaConverter Beta5 here:

http://github.com/il...erter/downloads

1. The "Tabu Search" algorithm has been replaced with amazing "Late Acceptance Hill Climbing" algorithm for /s greater than 1.

post-22831-0-65808700-1342544158_thumb.png

It works slower at the beginning, but after many (100M+) evaluations, when basic Hill Climbing almost stops, this algorithm still finds better solutions! The more solutions you use, the better final result can be. There is no memory impact so you can use even /s=10000 or more.

2. Added Preprocess parameters - can be useful for GUI preview:

• /preprocess If this switch exists then RastaConverter generates and saves only destination picture.
  • /brightness Brightness color corection.
  • /contrast Contrast color corection.
  • /gamma Gamma color corection.

3. Random Number Generator changed to Marsenne Twister for a longer period.

• /seed - if exists the constant seed for the random number generator is used

4. Limiting palette

• /picture_colors - limits palette to colors existing in the destination picture. No average colors will be used.

5. Fast processing of low color (<5) pictures, where sprites are not needed

6. You can periodically save the results of RastaConverter

• /save - saves best solution after every 'n' evaluations

7. Default distance function for preprocess is set to CIEDE2000. Then default /distance function is used.

• /predistance - sets color distance function for preprocess

8. I have tried to add multithreading, but with the current optimizations of the raster program execution it is very problematic to add - too many dependencies on global variables :(

9. Many minor fixes

Much progress. Thanks.

Could it be that you forgot to push some changes? A lot of cfg variables are not declared.

I ran into the same. I was able to build previous versions from source, but now "make all" spits out a bunch of the following...

config.cpp:73: error: ‘dstf’ was not declared in this scope
config.cpp:73: error: ‘E_DISTANCE_EUCLID’ was not declared in this scope

I'm thinking the updated config.h needs to be pushed.

Let me know if all the sources are fine now. If not - for temporary solution they are attached in the Beta5.1 archive.

I had to edit the Makefile and add mt19937int.cpp to the SOURCES list and mt19937int.h to the OBJECTS target line. After that it built great!

Considering serious time needed to achieved a better results, option to resume "quantinizng", would be welcome, I think. Dunno, if it's technical possible, but for perfectionist wanted some 1000M plus combination... well ;)

About adding multithreading It is not really necessary, because in exchange, you can just run four (or six or eight) instances of program, depending how many core you have to your computing pleasure.

Ps. Btw - great tools - I always dream to have many colours on "small" Atari, without all that "assembly" trickery. I mean, without doing an actual coding. G2F while great, requires some technical knowledge, after all.

Edited by ZebCorpse

Considering serious time needed to achieved a better results, option to resume "quantinizng", would be welcome, I think. Dunno, if it's technical possible, but for perfectionist wanted some 1000M plus combination... well ;)

It does. Focus a RastaConverter window, press "s", then close the window. To resume, run RastaConverter like so: "RastaConverter.exe /continue"

OK, I am throwing in my 2 cents here ... my first Rasta convert.

Original, of the Sichuan Highway in Tibet:

post-23798-0-08700000-1343098524_thumb.jpg

Rastaconverter pic:

post-23798-0-00676600-1343098575_thumb.png

And just for comparison, I did a PCIN+ picture (Graphics 12+10 flicker interlace with PF0-PF3 color changes, 45 colors).

post-23798-0-75349100-1343098590_thumb.png

The Rasta pic uses Floyd dithering, at about 3 million evaluations, 240 scanlines.

The PCIN+ pic is undithered, a 9-color Graphics 10 render switched with an Antic 4 monochrome render at 5 greys, at 192 scanlines.

On the ATR, run D:SICHUAN.TUR

synthpopalooza - sichuan.xex

sichuan highway - pcin+.atr

Edited by Synthpopalooza

I tried to open the "Sichuan highway - pcin+.atr" in altarri. It launches turbo basic, but I just end up at the basic "Ready" prompt. What is required to run this one?

Do a "DIR" command. Look for the file(s) ending in .TUR, then type "RUN D:SICHUAN.TUR" (without quotes).

Rastaconverter pic:

You got that bad result becuase:

1. You have used PAL palette and output is from NTSC.

2. Floyd dithering suck for Atari, because pixels are horizontal 2x1. Use chess, 2d or knoll dithering.

3. 3 million evaluations is unfortunatelly not enough.

Rastaconverter pic:

You got that bad result becuase:

1. You have used PAL palette and output is from NTSC.

2. Floyd dithering suck for Atari, because pixels are horizontal 2x1. Use chess, 2d or knoll dithering.

3. 3 million evaluations is unfortunatelly not enough.

Thanks for the tips!

The PAL palette is another problem I come across when using G2F renders. G2F seems to render using a PAL palette but the colors are off when I view in NTSC. I'm usually able to compensate if I am doing Graphics 10 or 12 renders, but in Graphics 11 I am stuck with the PAL ordering.

What's wrong here?

post-2756-0-13426800-1343249555_thumb.jpg

Interesting test. I don't think it's possible to display all 256 colours like that in 160 pixel mode though. GTIA mode with 16 DLIs is simple, but that is not how this converter works.

That's not the point. Ofcourse the palette has only 128 colours in the used mode.

What you see explains, why the results sometimes get "dirty coloured". That thing still calculates in phantasyfull ranges, not in the range of the A8 palette.

You see the wrong parts?

What's wrong here?

post-2756-0-13426800-1343249555_thumb.jpg

Interesting test. I don't think it's possible to display all 256 colours like that in 160 pixel mode though. GTIA mode with 16 DLIs is simple, but that is not how this converter works.

That's not the point. Ofcourse the palette has only 128 colours in the used mode.

What you see explains, why the results sometimes get "dirty coloured". That thing still calculates in phantasyfull ranges, not in the range of the A8 palette.

You see the wrong parts?

EDIT:

The Left screen needs to be sized to 40bytes wide and Hi-resolution Top Status Area apart this is just some of my ideas and it is just a 5colour image real A8 screen with PFs DLIs and having PM0 & PM1 PRIOR0 Oring for our guy and then PM2 & PM3 overlay BACKGR only on the Enemy.

Now if I try this into Rasta I never get anything good...

Thinking in this I say that I have more then the normal Bitmap Mode (4colours + 4colours PMs) the 5th PF3 colour and 2 Oring PM0 & PM1 (Oring PF0 & Oring PF1).

This is a maximum of 8colours maximum per scanline.

It's in real A8 colours & luminances using Laoo pallete.

And I don't get anything right...

post-6517-0-10923200-1343292852_thumb.png

post-6517-0-00296700-1343292866_thumb.png

Edited by José Pereira