IGNORED

New to Jaguar

party@karl's

I could be wrong here but i thought the skunkboard didn't work with BJL modded jags?

Oh and I think theres a game or two that don't work either?

I have a BJL modified Jag and a Skunkboard 2, and I never got any problems with it ;)

Thats good :)

Unfortunately my skunk 1 does not work with my BJL jag - so maybe its just skunk 1s?

My history was:

1. got a Jag with Protector SE

2. Messed around with coding - things went quite well

3. Got an alpine for about half what was currently quoted

4. Kept using the alpine til today

5. Got a Jag BJL'd for test purposes - around this time my BJL stopped being massively reliable on this or PSE so it might be a cable or computer problem

6. Got a skunkboard 1, now use that in conjunction with the Alpine for Dev

Its a pity you missed the skunkboard runs - they really were a good thing.

Edited by Atari_Owl

i am low on cash and the BJL mod sounds the easiest and cheapest the skunkboard if i could find a cheaper would be a good idea but i digress i think the BJL would be best which brings me to my next question how do you work the BJL how do you install it and then how do you work it so you can play games on it

Yeah, I hear ya man, money(or lack therof) has a tendency to narrow one's options for everything. No matter the BJL mod option is pretty cool regardless. There are some demos on the chip as well as a neat readout screen. I think the biggest concern people have against the BJL mod is a good number of them were trashed in the early BJL days because of improper soldering. Soldering is a skill that has to be done regularly to do well or get someone to do it for you in your area.

Well, basically the connections are your computer's printer port(female DB 25) to the Male DB25 of the BJL adaptor, using a male to female DB25 cable. The other end of the BJL adaptor has a Male DB 15 which goes into the 2nd controller port. Then you must configure your computer's LPT1(printer) port to line up with being able to send information to the Jag(play with it test each setting). Once that is done you put in any cartridge(just to connect the two power pins in the cart port) turn on your Jaguar while holding down the C button to select the BJL loader(possibly the B button? - sorry forgot) Then basically it's the DOS style command line to run things - follow this page to do stuff:

http://mdgames.de/bjl_loader.htm

Someone please correct me if these BJL usage machanics are wrong. :)

Party@carls: Don't forget to read as much as you can about BJL development at all the sites I posted and here and at the jaguarsector.com also.

It will all make sense once you actually load something up!

Edited by ovalbugmann

If your rich, fine but others are not and do need to save every penny.

I was just thinking that a bjl chip would be his cheapest option $50 is $50 bucks that's food for a week. He may not have the extra dough for a ProtSE investment right now as much as you want him to get it.

I know the smartest way about coding the JAguar, that is for sure.

Why take the chance and spend another 80+ on a new Jaguar when all you need

is a cart? you at least get a great game to play. Same with the CD player.

Not the case with a chip mod which is useless if you never bother to learn to code.

Also, modding then prevents you from use of an Alpine or

a Skunk in the future without another mod. not to mention

game incompatibility.

A little common sense here.

Im not rich by any means but penny wise and pound foolish is not the way to go.

But what do I know? I've only been doing this for over 14 years now.

:roll:

Edited by Gorf

Good points Gorf :), I personally would hate to see party@carl's Jaguar trashed because he overheated components trying to do a BJL mod I so adamently recommended. Yes, I feel like it's a sin to possibly destroy the Jaguar's that are left, when other loading options are available for a bit more money.

penny wise and pound foolish is not the way to go.

This is very true, my grandmother has said that very thing to me several times and often questions some of my actions in trying to save money here or there, because of the consequences that arise in the methods of saving a buck.

So Party@Carl's - please do not attempt to solder all those little pins; if you are not up on your soldering skills. I would hate to read a future post of your's sayin: "Dudes! This BJL chip doesn't work! Nothing is happening when I turn it on!, do you think I overheated or shorted something?" :P lol.

Have someone experienced do it for you for a little extra if you need to - there are fewer and fewer Jags left every year. ;)

Best of luck, and let us know how the mod turns out. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

Good points Gorf :), I personally would hate to see party@carl's Jaguar trashed because he overheated components trying to do a BJL mod I so adamently recommended. Yes, I feel like it's a sin to possibly destroy the Jaguar's that are left, when other loading options are available for a bit more money.

penny wise and pound foolish is not the way to go.

This is very true, my grandmother has said that very thing to me several times and often questions some of my actions in trying to save money here or there, because of the consequences that arise in the methods of saving a buck.

So Party@Carl's - please do not attempt to solder all those little pins; if you are not up on your soldering skills. I would hate to read a future post of your's sayin: "Dudes! This BJL chip doesn't work! Nothing is happening when I turn it on!, do you think I overheated or shorted something?" :P lol.

Have someone experienced do it for you for a little extra if you need to - there are fewer and fewer Jags left every year. ;)

Best of luck, and let us know how the mod turns out. :)

Believe me OB....I dont post things to be confrontational, regardless of popular opinon. I do so out of

experience. Im glad you understand the logic behind my reasoning. I dont think Im smarter than you either.

I understand why some like to think I am simply starting trouble. But at the same time I dont mind helping

even if it means taking a few shots on the chin for it.

Thank You Gorf! :) :thumbsup:, that's much appreciated. :) I don't want to have a negative conversation with anyone, especially you! Your Jersey Italian and I'm New Yowrka Sicilian. :P And I do value your opinions (I know you have a good reason for them) as well as the wealth of knowledge you have on all aspects of the Jaguar - it's very interesting, no denyin' it. I will try harder to not butt heads with you again in the future, as nothing good can come of it. I really don't like fighting with you or anyone online(it sux man) and I am here for love of the Jaguar and the happiness that it brings me.(fer reals yo!;))

BTW: I (and several others) did think all your posts dissapearing at JS2 was a loss for someone(such as myself) who is still, a youngun' in as far as Jaguar skillz, trying to assimilate all the known knowledge about the Jaguar and programming it. However, I know the reason why you did not feel comfortable leaving them.

on another note:

I really wish the Jaguar had more RAM, buses, and caches! and a 68020 - but I love it anyways. :P

Edited by ovalbugmann

Thank You Gorf! :) :thumbsup:, that's much appreciated. :) I don't want to have a negative conversation with anyone, especially you! Your Jersey Italian and I'm New Yowrka Sicilian. :P And I do value your opinions (I know you have a good reason for them) as well as the wealth of knowledge you have on all aspects of the Jaguar - it's very interesting, no denyin' it. I will try harder to not butt heads with you again in the future, as nothing good can come of it. I really don't like fighting with you or anyone online(it sux man) and I am here for love of the Jaguar and the happiness that it brings me.(fer reals yo!;))

BTW: I (and several others) did think all your posts dissapearing at JS2 was a loss for someone(such as myself) who is still, a youngun'in as far as Jaguar skillz, trying to assimilate all the known knowledge about the Jaguar and programming it. However, I know the reason why you did not feel comfortable leaving them.

I appologize for coming across in a condesending manner. That was not my intention. I was not in

any way trying to but heads with you. However, the 'Dont try this at home kid's! We're experts!'

was propbably not the best approach.

No comment on that other site. Im trying to live by the 'If you can't say something nice...' thing.

though Im still learning. ;)

I wont even bring up the 020 thing. The Jag is what it is..either you hate it or you love it.

I do a litle of both at times.

Edited by Gorf

You know I made a couple BJL carts a few years back. They were hacks, but contained a BJL loader on them. I never took it beyond the two boards I made. Especially after the skunk hit the scene.

If there is interest I could dig them out. As I said I made two. I had some extra boards where I was going to make 10 or so.

You basically boot the Jag and the BJL loader comes up (like my CD). You still need a BJL cable though. But no mod needed to the Jag.

You know I made a couple BJL carts a few years back. They were hacks, but contained a BJL loader on them. I never took it beyond the two boards I made. Especially after the skunk hit the scene.

If there is interest I could dig them out. As I said I made two. I had some extra boards where I was going to make 10 or so.

You basically boot the Jag and the BJL loader comes up (like my CD). You still need a BJL cable though. But no mod needed to the Jag.

Reading this? Party@Carl's?: When I said the following earlier in this thread:

There are also some very cool and quite helpful people here in this community that will help you with things you want to do with the Jag.

The above poster Belboz was the first person that came mind. Give him a PM and talk about it- problem solved! :)

Wasn't literal, was just a figure of speech. :) It's all good, I know your watching -it's your thread! Well, Cool buddy! :) right-on! - that custom cartridge would save you the BJL chip kit purchase + shipping and soldering work/time or potential soldering costs, as well as any potential damage to your Jaguar! Your also going to want to get your "Jaguar Development Environment" set up. It's at his website hillsoftware.com - Be sure to watch the 10MB "How-To" video he has on there.

Edited by ovalbugmann

if you guys could make a list of possibilities that i can do with the Jaguar and i don't care if its necessary or not i just want to know my options

There are two other development methods, which I forgot to put in that list I made:

1.)Another one is the JaguarServer, which Gorf briefly mentioned: It's an adaptor device to link an Atari Falcon Computer to the Jaguar. There is special software on the Falcon to communicate with the Jag. It's pretty rare nowadays, and was probably the first(or second to BJL?) aftermarket method of loading things on the Jag. $Price unknown - but is probably expensive.

2.)Then there is a program that comes with Battle Sphere Gold: The Jaguar Unmodified Game Server(JUGS) and it uses the BattleSphere cartridge and a PC Serial -to- Jaglink adaptor with a 4-wire phone type line between them. $300-600 if you can find it. They also sold just JUGS CDs at one time, but I don't know how they worked since the JUGS program is on the cartridge.

Just thought you might like to know.

But yes, rush6432 had a problem getting his Skunk to work with a BJL ROM in his Jag. Tursi would have to let us know if that would still be an issue. Not an issue for party@carls since he doesn't have one. But rush6432 had the BJL ROM in a socket so he just switched out the BJL boot ROM chip for an original Atari boot rom and then his Skunk worked.

Nobody has ever contacted me about the Skunkboard not working in a BJL modded Jaguar. I use the BJL ROM in conjunction with my Skunkboard all the time to use its exception handler. ;)

It does not work with the Stubulator ROM. But that's the only replacement ROM issue I'm aware of. If you guys know of others, wouldn't hurt to fill me in so I can fix it or at least document it, rather than spreading stories.

Hey Tursi!, I'd like to apologize for my error - sometimes two memories get crossed, my bad! If I do mention something about the Skunkboard in the future, I will be sure to check to make sure it's accurate and true and/or contact you also first to ask about the question. I guess I ran with what Atari Owl was saying, with what rush6432 had said before about "a cart" incompatibility with some development type of Jaguar he had I just figured Atari Owl has to know more about this than I do, and did not question AO's statement. Sorry Tursi buddy, that statement of mine you quoted is definitely wrong. If AA had an edit button for longer than 15 minutes I would erase it, but I will ask the mods for that post to be blanked.

Here is what I misconstrued about rush6432's BJL compatibility problem -and it has NOTHING :P to do with the Skunk:

Well i popped in my madbodies cart for the first time into my BJL modded jaguar (stock rom completely removed and replaced with bjl rom) and to my surpise i got the audio of the mad bodies intro but no picture AT ALL... i swapped to the stock rom and voila all is good. just thought i would point it out and see if anyone else has had this issue??? not to be the guy that's picking at the game, but i just thought it was odd thats all.

It's from: http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?showtopic=14776&hl=

But I put it here incase non-members can't see it.

I can admit when I am wrong, and when people can't do that -well that is a prime feature of arrogance, and I don't want to be like that.

I could be wrong here but i thought the skunkboard didn't work with BJL modded jags?

Oh and I think theres a game or two that don't work either?

Just pointing out potential (BJL CHIP MOD) hazards down the line

You called me on something that I stated wrongly about the cool Skunks and I will do my best to fix it. Now, it really is not my place to ask this ;) as one can only answer for their own faults, but you did not quote the person who actually brang up this false information in the first place; that being: Atari Owl. No disrespect to AO, and I am not trying to shift blame, but I just didn't think he was wrong, and unfortunately, I did the bolded statement above.

VERY Sorry Tursi! :), My bad! :thumbsdown: :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

Hello !

The only "incompatibility" with a BJL modded Jag I have doesn't come from the BJL ROM but by the BJL cable.

When pluggued, the state of your parallel port (the game pad n°2) could be "misunderstood" by the cart in your jag...

just unplug the BJL cable and the game start correctly (Tempest 2000 do that for example, could not be start if the cable if pluggued) :)

• Like 1

But yes, rush6432 had a problem getting his Skunk to work with a BJL ROM in his Jag. Tursi would have to let us know if that would still be an issue. Not an issue for party@carls since he doesn't have one. But rush6432 had the BJL ROM in a socket so he just switched out the BJL boot ROM chip for an original Atari boot rom and then his Skunk worked.

Nobody has ever contacted me about the Skunkboard not working in a BJL modded Jaguar. I use the BJL ROM in conjunction with my Skunkboard all the time to use its exception handler. ;)

It does not work with the Stubulator ROM. But that's the only replacement ROM issue I'm aware of. If you guys know of others, wouldn't hurt to fill me in so I can fix it or at least document it, rather than spreading stories.

I assure you my intention was not to 'spread stories'

PM sent outlining my problem. Sorry about not reporting it earlier - i just figured that since you said it didn't work with a stubbed jag that since i was having the difficulties with another BIOS (BJL) that it was for the same reason.

That'll teach me to not make assumptions. :(

Sorry about that.

If they do work and there's something odd about what I was doing then I apologise unreservedly

Edited by Atari_Owl

Apparently skunkboard does work with BJL please ignore any comments to the contrary - i guess its just something i'm doing wrong

Ok!, AO(as well as Tursi) - Thanks for confirming this guys, it's good to know. :)

And again, I will make sure I get people's post's and the facts; straight and un-crossed in the future.

Edited by ovalbugmann

• 1 month later...

Ok I have a few questions to clear up.

1> can the BJL cart run jag cd games or I would still need to buy the CD player and run the BJL cd?

2> What does the alpine do differently then the skunkboard and how do they work in conjunction?

3> how much slower is the BJL method versus skunkboard and why?