IGNORED

JI Nostalgia

Karyyk

Just wondering who all here got their start (at least online) to Jaguar fandom via the old Jaguar Interactive website. I'd guess that my first involvement was in 1996, as that's when I first discovered the "interwebs" thanks to college. I posted there as "Marshall Carter" or "Marshall W. Carter" and later under my current handle, "Karyyk."

I know a lot of other here did too, so I just thought I'd start a thread about the "good ol' days."

• Like 1

Just wondering who all here got their start (at least online) to Jaguar fandom via the old Jaguar Interactive website. I'd guess that my first involvement was in 1996, as that's when I first discovered the "interwebs" thanks to college. I posted there as "Marshall Carter" or "Marshall W. Carter" and later under my current handle, "Karyyk."

I know a lot of other here did too, so I just thought I'd start a thread about the "good ol' days."

Holy crap - I remember you! I started out on the old redsun site, then moved over to JI. Do you guys still have your Jag collections?

Stephen Anderson

• 2 weeks later...

It's still around! I posted on there back when it was on Redsun too - I was using the text-only Lynx browser to access it at first, and I remember being wowed by the graphics when I first visited the site in Netscape LOL

http://www.atarihq.com/ji2/

Anyone remember the Redsun site URL? I'd like to plug it into the wayback machine for some nostalgia :) Was it jaguar.redsun.net?

It's still around! I posted on there back when it was on Redsun too - I was using the text-only Lynx browser to access it at first, and I remember being wowed by the graphics when I first visited the site in Netscape LOL

http://www.atarihq.com/ji2/

Anyone remember the Redsun site URL? I'd like to plug it into the wayback machine for some nostalgia :) Was it jaguar.redsun.net?

Hey Kev, haven't seen you in a while. Not sure if I have any old references to the old redsun site. I did manage to get the last post on JI2 (I want to say it was when someone named Ken was hosting it). It was just after midnight, I posted "April fools day" and that was it. Had I known that was the end, I might have posted something with more substance :D

Stephen Anderson

Well, I certainly used to post a lot on JI! :D

And by the way, from the Jaguar FAQ:

http://www.redsun.net/jaguar

... but it doesn't appear to exist on Wayback. :( Did you know that the guy who ran the redsun site (Christian Svenson) later worked at MCV and gave me permission to post the sidebar article they ran on Skyhammer:

http://www.songbird-productions.com/graffx/mcvreb.jpg

More recently, he worked at Midway and helped me when I was licensing Total Carnage.

Ah, the good ol' days. :)

Well, I certainly used to post a lot on JI! :D

And by the way, from the Jaguar FAQ:

http://www.redsun.net/jaguar

... but it doesn't appear to exist on Wayback. :( Did you know that the guy who ran the redsun site (Christian Svenson) later worked at MCV and gave me permission to post the sidebar article they ran on Skyhammer:

http://www.songbird-productions.com/graffx/mcvreb.jpg

More recently, he worked at Midway and helped me when I was licensing Total Carnage.

Ah, the good ol' days. :)

Hey Carl! Been a long time, wasn't sure if you were still around.

Stephen Anderson

I started on JI2 myself. Neat place. I met them right after my Jaguar and I were featured in the Dallas Morning News. If it weren't for meeting them shortly thereafter, I wouldn't have known of the Nuon coming out soon after that.

It was only a matter of time before I make my response. ;-)

Yes, you may remember me as "the UA" back in the olden days of JI2. I was a fresh-faced kid still in high school when I discovered that there were other fans of Atari out there. The Inter-net was still a novel concept to me, but when I saw there was a forum of fellow Jaguar fans out there, I was hooked.

Who can't forget people like Steffo of the Cleffo, Thunderbird, BSB, Monkey, Minux (who still refuses to pay hi ags for BattleSphere), W3Z, K3V, Carl, ET Hunter, Marshall, Dr. Clu, and the people from the Jagfests/CGE who posted here.

It was through that site that fostered my plans to rebuild Atari back in 1997 with my "Redemption" plan, and made my short CG movies in 1997 and 1999.

I still remember those days quite fondly...

theUA

Edited by theUltimateAtarian

I had a couple of names a JI2... I started using my real first name "Philip" and then switched over to "ACE," which is the name I use to put in games after I get a highscore. I was in my first years of college when I first started visiting JI2. I'd purchased an Atari Lynx from a local flee market, but I couldn't find any games there so I searched the Internet and ran into a couple of sites, one being a page that was claiming to make new games for the Lynx under the banner "G2 or generation 2" lynx, and the other site was "JI2." That was back during all of the hype about the "Native SHMUP" game. When I saw people were still making games for the Atari Lynx and the Jaguar, I immediatly wanted to jump on the bannwagon but didn't have a lick of programming skills. So I started asking questions about the Jag, messed around and said that the Jag was 32-bits and hell broke loose. :D Of course I know better now (object/blitter/64bit bus and all that,) but you wouldn't thought I insulted somebodies mother concidering the reaction I got. Funny memories. :D

It was only a matter of time before I make my response. ;-)

Yes, you may remember me as "the UA" back in the olden days of JI2. I was a fresh-faced kid still in high school when I discovered that there were other fans of Atari out there. The Inter-net was still a novel concept to me, but when I saw there was a forum of fellow Jaguar fans out there, I was hooked.

Who can't forget people like Steffo of the Cleffo, Thunderbird, BSB, Monkey, Minux (who still refuses to pay hi ags for BattleSphere), W3Z, K3V, Carl, ET Hunter, Marshall, Dr. Clu, and the people from the Jagfests/CGE who posted here.

It was through that site that fostered my plans to rebuild Atari back in 1997 with my "Redemption" plan, and made my short CG movies in 1997 and 1999.

I still remember those days quite fondly...

theUA

Nice to see you UA. I had long forgotten about paying hi ags for BS!! Seems that most of us are still here. I kept my Jag collection, but spend all of my time now on my 8-bits.

Stephen Anderson

• 3 months later...

Very nice.. I remember 98% of the names listed here. Good to see you're all still alive, guys. :thumbsup:

Most definately still alive. (Good to see you Ultimate Atarian).

You know I really wish they would get the bug fixed on JI2... I stop in there from time to time to see if anyone has posted, but the posting issue (where only messages to a certain date show up) is there. Kinda a bummer. Anyway, love that place, and really probably captured the early fun of the Jaguar, and the wow of the system probably the best.

wow, guys! I remember all of that. I even remember that post from Greg after Al's invite...

hehe GoatDan and AVC-Dan... remember that, too.

By the way, I was Paolo there, as well.

You know, when you are not british/american/german/french, you can use your own name almost everywhere :-)

• 1 month later...

Do you guys still have your Jag collections?

Kind of sad, but there's not much of it left. Times have been hard, and the casualties have been great...heh.

Between having to sell off the more valuable items (necessity sucks) and a brother who likes to "borrow" games that are never seen again, I have about 30 games currently (not counting CD; looking to restore the common items), though I still have my original Jag and Jag CD (sadly not functioning, think I need a new hood latch assembly).

Some things I'll never get back (like those 4 Catboxes and two copies of Battle Sphere I had once upon a time), but it's cool to see some familiar people posting.

Hello Marshall. I remember your posts very well. I pretty much stopped following Jag scene after the demise of Jaguar Interactive II... but pop in every once in a while to see what's new. JI was the first thing I would check every day when I would get online from like 1997-2000 or so.

I took over JFPN from brett around 1999 and did Jaguar Top 50 with CobraCF2 or a few years.. fun memories :)

Jagfest '98 ruled.