IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 1: Arkanoid

JellE

This is the first game of the new season... game ends 11:30 pm ET on Friday, January 22, 2010.

<br/><br/>

Arkanoid<br/>

Thanks for choosing Arkanoid! It is one my favourite games on A8!! I finished it many times as teenager but it has been 20 years ago...

Anyway, I gave it a try again and I was able to reach 33th level on very first attempt (more than 75 minutes of playing). Unfortunately I wasn't able to beat the boss as I only had one last life left. Killing the boss really needs some practice and you must be lucky as well...

My score: 269,550

F.

post-5049-126306450731_thumb.png

post-5049-126306451586_thumb.png

um... WTH? i hit 100,000 points and it crashed... level 11, concentric boxes and they have to be hit 2-3 times to disappear... level 10 was no picnic either... one small block hole missing all the way at the top left you have to get it in... and then sit and wait for all the blocks to disappear...

p.s. i used the binary at the link in the first post, using atari800win PLus emu, using paddle/mouse emulation, if anyone wants to know the details...

sloopy.

Edited by sloopy

So I just played it and my score was 109,820 but just like someone else said the ATR image is screwy! Once I hit 105k or in that neighborhood the graphics for the bottom half of the screen REALLY messed up. I played as much as I could but could only complete the level I was on, and that barely put me short of 110k......

ok i played on my 800XL, and it was fine... i got bored of playing... so with more then 9 lives left (it didnt show number) and on level 27... i submit my score of 247010, if anyone beats it they have more patience then i with bordom...

sloopy.

post-24811-126315857696_thumb.jpg

Edited by sloopy

Glad to see a few of the people I've been cajoling come and play ;)

Not a game I really liked (my favourite b'n'b game is Super Breakout on progessive) but I managed to find one of my paddles that was slightly less jittery than the others...

360,600 (?) Got to the end boss (on Level 33) for the first time, but didn't hit him much. I guess you need to get the ball under him for a few quick hits. Has anyone ever defeated him?

post-19705-126323679071_thumb.jpg

A few observations:

You get 1000 for the bonus thingys but I didn't collect the slow ones, boy it's slow enough (prob better on NTSC)?!

When you have 10 men it doesn't show them. (It may be capped at 10?)

I couldn't find a pause key :x and after Fandal saying it took over an hour to play I recommend putting it on two player (if on a real atari) then at least you can have a stretch between the first few lives. Also recommend splatting any annoying flies before you start playing, letting the cat in, putting the heating on etc

Don't spend several lives trying to take a photo of your score (like I did) only to realise it shows the high score on the next go DOH!

Paddles are good as let you manoeuver quickly.

I got him!! Sixteen hits and he was dead.

My score: 461,120

F.

WOW Great effort! Does the game get harder or there is some other incentive to play it further (other than winning in the HSC) or does it just repeat :?: ;)

p.s. Does anyone know if Arkanoid II, III etc have different bosses or just the different screens :?:

I got him!! Sixteen hits and he was dead.

My score: 461,120

F.

WOW Great effort! Does the game get harder or there is some other incentive to play it further (other than winning in the HSC) or does it just repeat icon_question.gificon_wink.gif

p.s. Does anyone know if Arkanoid II, III etc have different bosses or just the different screens icon_question.gif

The game ends when boss is killed. No harder or continuous play.

I've never tried to beat Arkanoid II or III but I guess there is the same boss. Just different levels. May be I'll give it a try. icon_smile.gif

OK. I can confirm that there is the same boss in Arkanoid 2. But there is one important difference in the game. You must be pretty lucky even to see "D" bonus ball in original Arkanoid (three balls in action at once) while it is common in Arkanoid 2 (check the screenshot). I don't know if there is some bug in original game causing it but I'm going to check it out for sure. May be it is possible to patch or fix original Arkanoid to enable this feature. It would be cool, would not it?

F.

post-5049-126339254522_thumb.png

Edited by _Fandal_

This is my first go i did the high score but didn't get to take the screenshot before the menu came on (screen shots are not compulsory but hey!)

Just start another go and the high score is shown :)

We (already) have enough for the first provisional table so here goes:

1st _Fandal_ 461,120 (completed) 12pts

2nd therealboutybob 360,600 11pts

3rd a8isa1 342,610 10pts

4th Benjamin Matlock 252,870 9pts

5th sloopy 247,010 8pts

6th deteacher 140,360 7pts

7th dmlloyd 80,050 6pts

8th Champions_2002 69,680 5pts

9th roadrunner 51,630 4pts

any corrections please post

I guess all the extra men are to give you a chance at the boss man so the game isn't too easy afterall :ponder: I'm gonna play again, especially now there's the three ball version here ;)