IGNORED

EPROM Erasing..

yuppicide

It's amazing what people will do to save a few bucks. I think I paid about $50 for my UV eraser.

My el cheapo unit was like $30. I just don't stay in the same room with it when it's turned on. :D

Mine is basically a UV bulb in a metal drawer with a foam pad on the bottom for the chips. It does a good job, but it's a very no-frills design. Someday I'll upgrade to one with a built-in timer.

All the eprom eraser is is a UV bulb. Go to wally world and get you a $5 blacklight (or for a buck, or less, a bulb) and a piece of foam and set it up at home. (just don't look at it, it'll erase you're eyeballs too :P )

A blacklight will not erase EPROMs - it produces wavelengths in the UVA range which isn't good enough. You need a germicidal UV light which produces UVC light. They are not available at stores like Wal-Mart.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3801165919971?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=380116591997&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

$30, includes timer... no i am not this seller, i bought one, and works fine...

only problem i had with seller was they didnt leave feedback for me,

but considering all the posibilty of problems it is minor...

it is a very no frills eraser, but for $30 you cant expect everything...

sloopy.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3801165919971?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=380116591997&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

sloopy.

I have had one of these for a while (bought when my DataEraseII quit working). It's worked ok for me. The timer wasn't the most accurate as marked but you can work that out and get a good idea how far to turn it. Not sure how safe the hole is in the drawer that lets you see it is on (the last eraser i had, had kind of a transparentish solid plastic tube running from the bulb to the indicator). I definitely don't look into the hole when it is on.

sloopy.

I have had one of these for a while (bought when my DataEraseII quit working). It's worked ok for me. The timer wasn't the most accurate as marked but you can work that out and get a good idea how far to turn it. Not sure how safe the hole is in the drawer that lets you see it is on (the last eraser i had, had kind of a transparentish solid plastic tube running from the bulb to the indicator). I definitely don't look into the hole when it is on.

yeah the datraseII is very old design, a friend had one back in the early 90's, i would just borrow his when i needed one back then... the timers isnt time exact, but then i dont really set it to a specific time, i set it to specific positions depending on the eprom i put in... and yeah i dont use the hole for an eye piece either... i was just offering it as a possibility for a low cost eraser, and have one so i know it does work...

sloopy.

Personally I don't trust the really cheap, new erasers. Especially considering they probably come from some anonymous manufacturer in china who has no reason to worry about safety or upholding any sort of reputation.

I bought a used, brand name eraser (Logical Devices) for about $30-$40 shipped, and it also has a timer. This was much more appealing to me - I prefer stuff that's cheap because it's old, not cheap because it was built that way.

All the eprom eraser is is a UV bulb. Go to wally world and get you a $5 blacklight (or for a buck, or less, a bulb) and a piece of foam and set it up at home. (just don't look at it, it'll erase you're eyeballs too :P )

A blacklight will not erase EPROMs - it produces wavelengths in the UVA range which isn't good enough. You need a germicidal UV light which produces UVC light. They are not available at stores like Wal-Mart.

They don't? Sure could fool me, as that's where I got both of mine (though I don't use them for eproms, so I can't comment absolutely 100% that they would work for that purpose)

They don't? Sure could fool me, as that's where I got both of mine (though I don't use them for eproms, so I can't comment absolutely 100% that they would work for that purpose)

You can get blacklights at Walmart. What you can't find are the germicidal bulbs that fit standard fixtures.

Anyway, the blacklights will take about a year of constant exposure to erase an EPROM. Germicidal bulbs take about 10 minutes.

sloopy.

used that one for 3 years until I sold my burner, works great

I think I'd lose my mind if I had to erase EPROMs one at a time in that pacifier thing. If you do a lot of programming, you're better off spending the cash. I use this one myself: http://www.bkprecision.com/products/model/851/deluxe-eprom-eraser.html

40 EPROMs at a time, I've never had an issue with it. I've erased 500+ chips in it and it just saves a TON of time. I think I got mine used on EBay for around $80, but don't quote me on that.

You can get blacklights at Walmart. What you can't find are the germicidal bulbs that fit standard fixtures.

Anyway, the blacklights will take about a year of constant exposure to erase an EPROM. Germicidal bulbs take about 10 minutes.

Well, they may not be germacidal (and don't plug into a screw in fixture, it's a micro flourecent) but it says it is, and I bought them on clearance when that stupid water pitcher failed :P (I've seen similar things sold in the plant department, but I don't know...) I got them where they used to have the water filters and stuff.

For non clearance, I can get under $10 all day long from the pharmacy, and baby departments (both of which are also germacidal, it's where you look, just don't expect to find many in the light fixture area (though I won't put it past them to have them there as well)

They can cost even less if you just buy the bulb and not the whole fixture.

Edited by Video