IGNORED

Anyone else like gameing on the Ipod Touch?

kyle

I'm actually developing games for iPhone/iPod and they're very impressive little machines. The fact that all controls have to be either touch screen and/or accelerometer-based can lead to some very innovative gameplay mechanics.

BTW- There's a free version of Adventure on the app store which is worth a download.

What games have you made, Kripto? I'd love to try them.

I don't game with the iPod Touch.. but I do with the iPhone 3GS ;). It's a great machine, and there are games out for it now that are exceeding the Dreamcast's level of graphics. I still play this thing more than my PSP GO, which is a shock to me. However, I think it's because it's my all in once device, and it's always with me. The PSP won't do the same for me as I never have it with me when I want to play it.

Some games I love:

Star Wars Trench Run (Picture the first level of Star Wars Rogue Squadron II)

Glow Hockey

Beat It!

Edge (or w/e they're calling it now...)

Real Racing

Jet Car Stunts

LightBike

Sway

I have had an iPod Touch 3G for a couple of months, and I think it's great! I use it mostly for web surfing, email, and reading eBooks, but I also have quite a few games. The iDevice is ideal for "on the go" gaming, when you have a few minutes to kill while waiting for a bus or appointment.

Some retro-ish games I really like and can recommend:

- AstroZapper: Arcade Asteroids with a few updates. There's a lite version available for free!

- Vector Tanks: an excellent remaking of arcade BattleZone.

- Pacman Championship Edition

- Racer: a straightf-forward multilane racer with touch screen controls. Fun - and there's a lite version.

- Flight Control: use your finger to draw flight paths onscreen to direct landing airplanes and avoid collisions. Simple yet cool!

- StarPagga: a well-done 3D space combat game, more Colony Wars like than anything else.

- Parcel Panic: similar to Crazy Taxy.

What is the free version of Adventure called? I can't seem to find it in the app store by searching the obvious names ("Adventure" and "Atari", primarily).

**edit: Nevermind, I found it. Come to think of it, I had it before, but lost it when my phone got bricked a few months back.. I completely about it and haven't re-downloaded it yet :D

Edited by Austin

I always thought I was a Nintendo guy, and while I still think the lack of actual d-pad ruins a lot of games on the iPod Touch (like Pac man championship for example). It amazes me the games that do work are light years ahead of the DS counterparts. I love NOVA, it's like Halo/Metroid Prime combined into the best all around portable fps . I also really get into Zenonia (Zedla style RPG). There are some other games too, but the thing about the touch I like it's more portable and more likely for me to have around, when I am at the Doctors office waiting or another boring moment in life. Of course I use mine primary for music and sometimes movies, but I find myself hooking into free wifi all over the place to catch up on mail, facebook, or even send some IM's to my sweet heart... The iPod Touch despite not being the perfect fit as a gaming or web browser seem's to be the best all around device and I don't get weird stares when I pull it out like I used to with the DS.

I love my iPod touch - best gadget I've owned to date. Best part of it is that with patience, one can accumulate a lot of games very cheap and/or free just by waiting for sales. My retro fix is filled on it by:

Alien Attack - Space Invaders Clone

Meteors - Asteroids clone

Star Rangers - Star Raiders in the 21st century (This is a must have, imo)

Vector Blaster - tempest like clone

Lander - Lunar Lander clone

Frogger

Pole Position

Dragons Lair

PacMan C.E.

Galaga Remix

c64 (c64 emulator - Bruce Lee comes with it free)

Other notable mentions (not necessarily retro related)

Doodle Jump

Peggle

Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies

The Quest - An 80s style First person rpg

Geared

Ravensword - MOdern oblivion style rpg

I would really like to try Vector Blasters - but it's no longer available in the Apps Store.

Dang. Really? I have it and it's quite fun. I wonder why they pulled it?

Yay! Glad I got it when I did then.

I'm sure it wasn't copyright infringement or anything. It was one of the earlier games so he probably just didnt want to pay another 99 bucks to put it up in the store for another year. I doubt the game made much money.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I would have to pass. I really hate the iPhone. and pretty much ianything

Have you tried the games on the iPhone or iPod Touch?? There is some real fun to be had there. It's a great gaming platform...and a pretty good media platform as well (not to mention being a nice phone :))

I agree with everything you said. I always roll my eyes when people say they hate i devices because it's nothing but pure jealousy and BS. First off, how do you "hate" a piece of electronics? Did it rape your mother? Not pay your rent? Also, you'd have to be a brain dead moron not to admit the iPhone is the easiest and most enjoyable phone to use, and at the very least, has been extremely important to shaping what cell phones are today. I bet the cell phone you use uses more than a handful of design elements from the iPhone.

Not to mention, the iPod and iMac ect are wonderfully built machines that do their job much better than comparable units.

ANYwho, last I checked this was a thread talking about iPhone gaming. Why you have to come and shit on it is beyond me. You don't see me going on the Wii threads and saying how much I think the balance board is a crock do you? Why not? Because I have no business being there as I don't own or play the dang thing.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

The only people that I've ever heard really rag on the iPhone are the Blackberry fanboys...or IT professionals that are too married to their MS products to see past their monitors.

But still...even those people realize that it's a great media player and a good gaming platform...

Every naysayer in my office was negative only until I let them play with my iPhone for 10 minutes. After a quick run around in the OS, Safari, youtube, and in a few key programs and games, they were beaming ear to ear. PC fan or not. Even the guys who stick with their Storms constantly talk about getting an iPod Touch at the very least to try some of the apps they're missing out on.

I was the first to get an iPhone. Now we have 4 in our small department.