IGNORED

Where the best place to buy a Sega Firecore?

kyle

They're very cheap and flimsy. They don't have the best compatibility or sound, either. The included games are welcome though, I guess. But if you don't already have the few good ones already, I'd be surprised. Just get a real Genesis. They exist and are reliable. No reason to have a cheap Chinese knockoff.

They're very cheap and flimsy. They don't have the best compatibility or sound, either. The included games are welcome though, I guess. But if you don't already have the few good ones already, I'd be surprised. Just get a real Genesis. They exist and are reliable. No reason to have a cheap Chinese knockoff.

They arent cheap or flimsy... do you even own one?

My Sega Firecore is wellmade, has good video output; decent sound output with the exception of a few games.

Out of my 76 Sega Genesis games, only one didn't play on the Firecore and that was Comix Zone.

And for the last time, they are not clones... they are officially licensed Sega Genesis consoles with region free gaming and a PAL/NTSC switch to play all games. Out of my Mega Drive games, not a single one doesn't play, All 8 games played perfectly on Firecore.

I got mine from Buy.com.

The real question is do you actually want a Firecore? They are not very good clones. There's a reason I don't even bother to carry them at my store.

Ummm... SAG. Your store carries the Sega GenCore which is a Sega Firecore re-shelled... everyone knows that. Sega GenCore is targeted at younger gamers, while Firecore is for the older gamers whom want a more classic look.

Actually thanks for pointing that out because I didn't realize they were still marked as in stock.

Honestly AtGames is terrible (IMO of course). The only reason I carry the GenMobile still is because it does have the redeeming quality of portability. I have to test each one before I ship because they have about a 25% defect rate out of the box. Mainly there's an issue where you cannot get the cart into the system at all. Usually if they pass the tests they are fine after that, but you don't even realize how many returns I got from AtGames products.

I probably won't be ordering more GenMobiles until Hyperkin can actually test the units before shipping to me.

If you like the FireCore that is great. I am not knocking you for liking it. I am just saying that I really do not care for AtGames products at all. Which is hard for me to say because by not carrying them I do lose money to my competition, but I am getting tired of dealing with their poor quality.

The only reason AtGames even has the official Sega license is because the president of AtGames used to be on the board at Sega. So he has inside connections there.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

And for the last time, they are not clones... they are officially licensed Sega Genesis consoles with region free gaming and a PAL/NTSC switch to play all games. Out of my Mega Drive games, not a single one doesn't play, All 8 games played perfectly on Firecore.

Out of the mouth of Hyperkin themselves they believe the FireCore/GenCore systems have about a 89% compatibility rate. Compare that to the GEN-X/GN Twin which have about a 99%.

Also they are clones. Don't let the official license fool you. Actually the GEN-X/GN Twin are closer (hardware wise) to being a real Genesis than the FireCore/GenCores are.

The FireCore/GenCore uses software emulation, the GEN-X/GN Twin use the TecToy chip and use hardware to emulate.

Edited by StoneAgeGamer

They arent cheap or flimsy... do you even own one?

My Sega Firecore is wellmade, has good video output; decent sound output with the exception of a few games.

Out of my 76 Sega Genesis games, only one didn't play on the Firecore and that was Comix Zone.

I got mine from Buy.com.

Yea, I did own one actually. But thanks for doubting me!

They aren't made as well as a standard Sega unit, there ARE problems with many games.. much of which is sound related, and the console is the most butt ugly thing I've ever seen. AGAIN, if you're going to own a Genesis, there are many homeless 1s, 2s and 3s out there needing a good home that work much better than this POS, even if it is licensed. (PS, I never said it was a clone in my statement...but it's still a Chinese made POS!)

:roll:

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I am not against clones. However in my opinion they have to have some redeeming quality. Whether that they are cheaper (to buy) than the original, offer better video output, add portability and/or combine multiple systems. Beyond the 20 built-in games I don't believe the FireCore does, especially since I think AtGames is terrible.

What makes it even harder to justify when it comes to Genesis clones is that the Genesis is one of the cheapest classic gaming systems you can buy and its games are also cheap.

My original question wasn't as sarcastic as it appears. I was actually curious of why he wanted a FireCore.

I wanted a firecore for the 20 built in games. My sega collection is kinda small and my genesis one is on it's last leg. I also liked how small the firecore system is as I love small systems. My favorite 2600 is the JR. I was also thinking of getting a Genesis 3 again cuz of the size of the system to replace my Genesis one.

I wanted a firecore for the 20 built in games. My sega collection is kinda small and my genesis one is on it's last leg. I also liked how small the firecore system is as I love small systems. My favorite 2600 is the JR. I was also thinking of getting a Genesis 3 again cuz of the size of the system to replace my Genesis one.

Well its up to you obviously. If you like the idea of a smaller unit with the built-in games I say go for it. Everything said here (positive and negative) is just opinions. :thumbsup: In the end its yours that matters.

• 6 months later...