IGNORED

The "unidentified game from your childhood" thread

Okay, I got one. This I found as a wee lad at an arcade.

It was an arcade game made by Atari. However, it has no CRT. It has some images projected on a screen. It's a Formula 1 racing game with a steering wheel. If you crashed, there was a projected image of an exploding car. Anyone know what it was?

From what I saw of people playing it, people crashed A LOT.

There was a shareware rpg I played when I was younger that I've been looking all over for. I originally found it in the old aol files server under games. This was back in the late 90's. The game description mentioned that it was similar to ad&d gold box series.

I belive the game was called "Lord of Destruction" or something to that effect. I remember the file being "LOD".

The game did play similar to the gold box games but you only controlled a single character. It had a 3d view of towns and dungeons, but switched to an over head view when in battle. I believe it was a dos game. It was mouse driven.

THe file came with the first episode of the game and a demo of the second episode which you would get if you registered. The demo played much like the first but was set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting.

I think the company was RKO something.

I've searched all over but no luck finding it again. :( When I goggle it, all I ever get is the diablo expansion for results.

Anyone else ever play this, know what I'm talking about, or where to find it again?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I got one. This I found as a wee lad at an arcade.

It was an arcade game made by Atari. However, it has no CRT. It has some images projected on a screen. It's a Formula 1 racing game with a steering wheel. If you crashed, there was a projected image of an exploding car. Anyone know what it was?

From what I saw of people playing it, people crashed A LOT.

F-1 from 1976? I think it was played in "Dawn Of The Dead" (1978).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to figure out what game this is since I last played it so-many-years-ago. The thing is, I'm decently sure the game I have on mind is a MS-DOS game, however I'm not 100% sure.

So in the game, you figure out money-related math problems. If you correctly figure out '#' out of '#' problems you get to play a game within the game named 'Blackbeard's Treasure' or something. You play as a little man and you go about collecting coins that are scattered around a 2D maze, while Blackbeard's ghost (which can go through the walls of the maze) chases after you.

After a period of time (or after a certain number or coins are collected or something like that, I don't remember) special coins pop up that are a different color than the coins you're supposed to get, and give you bonus points if you get them before they dissapear again.

I also remember that after collecting all the coins, a 'door' opens at the bottom of the screen. When you exit the the maze through the door, a big skull (maybe with crossbones?) and the words 'Game Over' appear on the screen (It may be different, but again, I can't remember). Then it tells you that Blackbeard returned to his grave or something like that, and you start doing money problems again.

If anyone can find out the name of this game, I'd love to know- I've been wanting to play it again for over ten years!! :-D

@CTF@

Edited by c_t_f

• 1 year later...

Bump for my inquiry

This would have been for the DOS PC circa 90-93ish (probably a cheapo shareware game). It looks like a Boulderdash clone, but played a little different. You were a little guy moving through blocks that would disappear completely when you moved (like Boulderdash), but it was one screen and there were various themes. One was a picnic scene where you had to work your way around things like apples and avoid worm enemies and one looked like it took place in the human body with blood vessels that you dug through and such. She doesn't remember having to pick up anything, just avoid enemies and get to the end.

I have one that's been troubling me for a long time: It's a Commodore 64 game from the 80s. If I had to guess, I'd say mid-to-late. Truth be told I don't remember very much from the game other than it was a platformer where you controlled a man to walk through different rooms and doors, and due to the sluggish controls the difficulty factor was through the roof. The most distinct memory I have was at the end of the game it would rate your gameplay with something like "You are a pudding".

Gold star for you if you can name the game based on THAT description. :)

Not gonna get that gold star, hehe. But a great source for C64 games is the DerSchmu youtube site: http://www.youtube.com/user/DerSchmu

Specialized on C64 longplay videos. You can browse their uploads by thumbnail and see if you recognize the game. Good luck :-D

I have one that's been troubling me for a long time: It's a Commodore 64 game from the 80s. If I had to guess, I'd say mid-to-late. Truth be told I don't remember very much from the game other than it was a platformer where you controlled a man to walk through different rooms and doors, and due to the sluggish controls the difficulty factor was through the roof. The most distinct memory I have was at the end of the game it would rate your gameplay with something like "You are a pudding".

Wow, I can't name that game but it really reminds me of a game that I've always wanted to identify.

It was a platformer as well, non-scrolling if I remember. I was in a store that sold Atari and Commodore games so it was either Atari 800/C64 era or Atari ST/Amiga era (I think the latter based on the graphics being really detailed). The character you controlled looked like he was a robot or a guy in a slim spacesuit, wearing a helmet with a black faceplate and the a red uniform/spacesuit. I could never figure out the point of the game, I only remember walking the character up to a door and it sliding up to open.

And the vague memories come flooding back!

There are a handful of Apple II games resting in a dusty corner of my mind. One was a first-person adventure game with a lot of infuriating puzzles, the most annoying of which was a reference to the Byrds song "Turn, turn, turn!" Another game had you landing on a planet and interacting with aliens. The game had simple, video game-style graphics, but used a command parser like graphic adventures. One verb you could use was "mate," which we thought was hilarious as kids but seemed to have no useful purpose. There was also a slow, dull Breakout-style game with a 3D viewpoint (think Gyruss) and even a series of simple cartoons where a stick figure got into all kinds of Mr. Bill-style mischief.

It's amazing just how much entertainment software was available for the Apple II. Then again, it's probably not that surprising, since the Apple II was in every elementary, middle, and high school in the country, and there were lots of kids itching to get their game on between classes. I even MADE a couple of games on the Apple II, although nothing fantastic... the most ambitious of these was an action role-playing game with randomly generated stages and a title hero who fights with a bow and arrow. Every time I think of that game, I want to go back and make it for something more capable, with stages that aren't just random clusters of trees.

Both of the following are for the Apple II(e).

First one: It was a racing game based around doing multiplication. The car always seemed to be on a constant curve until you finished.

Second one: It deal with paper airplanes, and definitely seemed to have a educational flair to it. I think you were able to make them in the game too.

Edited by nightwheel

I never had a Atari when I was a kid, but when I came over to my friends house he had this awesome little game. His game console was shaped differently than everyone else I knew. It was gray instead of black and you inserted the game cart sideways. Instead of a joystick, there was a rectangular pad with a cross and two red buttons. I've truly never seen anything like it before or since. My friend only had one game: some weird 2-in-1 multicart or something. May have been a pirate; I'm not really sure though.

The first game was some sort of strange adventure with some blocky red dude who was as tall as he was wide. There were some funky-looking gopher-like enemies that walk back and forth where you jump on them to defeat. There was a turtle too, but jumping on top of it did not kill it but only retracted into it's shell. But if you touched the shell, it could smack into a wall, bounce back and kill you! I think some of them had wings and could fly too. There were also square bricks that awarded coins to your score, and occasionally a wierd muchroom thingy that made your character twice as tall and gave him one hit of invulnerability and destroy bricks with his head. And very rarely a flower that let you burp up balls of fire. There were also manholes which lead to a sewers full of gold. At the end of every level, there was a flag pole. The higher you jumped on it, the more points you got for completing the level. The second level was a long sewer and the third level was an endless pit with floating platforms. Sadly, I never really got past that third level, but friend told me the forth level was a lava filled castle, and you fought a dragon at the end. Legend had it that after beating eight such castles you could finally rescue the princess! Truly bizarre game to say the least. And so hard too - I'd bet only the pros ever got good enough to rescue the princess!

The second game was truly like something I'd never seen before. Instead of using a joypad, there was this futuristic-looking ray gun that you pointed at the screen as birds flew away. You pull the trigger and if you hit the birds, a dog would jump up and grab it in his mouth. But if you missed, the dog would laugh at you. There was also some sort of UFO minigame where you had to shoot down flying saucers. How the heck did the game know whether you aimed correctly or not? It was like magic. My friend swore that you could cheat by aiming the ray gun at a light bulb. I tried it and it didn't work. Maybe he was pulling my leg or something?

Anyway, my one and only bestest friend moved away in the forth grade and I never saw him again. I would sometimes lay awake at night dreaming about this strange game we used to play. If anyone has any information about the identity of this game, I would love to know. It would really fulfill a childhood dream of mine to play this game cart again.

Please help me find and identify this lost relic. :?

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I've got one,

Commodore 64 game. You were a little man/robot that used to run around this world. It was an overhead type view, you could go in any direction, North, South, East, West. There were sections of terrain you couldn't walk on unless you were wearing a special suit. There were three terrains that required the right suit. They were sand, water and air. In order to get the correct suit you had to find the corresponding pad and walk across it. There enemies everywhere and I remember there being these heads that would come along and when you killed them you got a key or something like that.

I never had a Atari when I was a kid, but when I came over to my friends house he had this awesome little game. His game console was shaped differently than everyone else I

Please help me find and identify this lost relic. :?

The game sounds very different. Coins? From bricks? Turtles? And sewers filled with gold? Weird. I think the mushrooms are a special variety and the developer took too many!

The game console sounds really odd to me as well. Who sticks a cart in from the front? Sounds like a potential reliability issue to me.

And who would ship a console without a joystick... total madness!

Must be some obscure system from Japan.

I hear those Japanese systems lead to some sort of crazed madness that sticks with you for the rest of your life so you are probably better off not knowing what it is.

I think the manufacturers embed some sort of mind control into the games.

Maybe subliminal messages that tell you to buy their products or something even though their hardware isn't as good as the competition.

:P

Edited by JamesD

Wow, I can't name that game but it really reminds me of a game that I've always wanted to identify.

It was a platformer as well, non-scrolling if I remember. I was in a store that sold Atari and Commodore games so it was either Atari 800/C64 era or Atari ST/Amiga era (I think the latter based on the graphics being really detailed). The character you controlled looked like he was a robot or a guy in a slim spacesuit, wearing a helmet with a black faceplate and the a red uniform/spacesuit. I could never figure out the point of the game, I only remember walking the character up to a door and it sliding up to open.

Maybe Thexder?

This has been bugging me lately.

My brother used to have a ton of DOS games on his computer that he would download, and there's one I remember, but can't figure out what it is. All I can remember is that you started out in a big mansion, and the game was set up kind of like a Sierra Adventure game. And there was some guy that would block you from going up stairs or into a different room. I can't remember which. Does anybody know of any games like this?

Maybe Thexder?

Just looked at some game footage. Naw, not that game. The game I'm thinking of, the main character in a red suit was like twice as detailed. Also, what little I saw of the game was indoors and it was just a guy, not a machine that could transform into a winged ship. Nothing was shooting at him, either. It was possible to just stop playing, the guy would just stand there while you figured out what door you wanted to walk through. Nice graphics but nothing about it was obvious if you just walked up and tried playing without someone explaining it to you. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I have two games I would like to Identify. When I was around 12 my Dad bought an Atari 800xl off a guy in town, we already had a 400 but the guy was upgrading to an ST and he got a good deal, and like 3-5 large disk holders full of software and copies....(100's of disks)...needless to say I was exploring games for years. Most of these were not even labeled, so I don't remember the games name.

One involved like a haunted house or mansion, you could go outside as well as inside. lots of puzzles to solve but it was NOT the Atari "Haunted House" title...this had better graphics and again was for the home computer, and I don't think it was made by Atari. I remember there being a garden.

The second game, I have really vague memories on it had a screen with a large map, I think you went over it in a chopper and sort of like archon you opened up many games on that map.....lots of different ones, but it was apart of a larger war game. Again this had multicolor nice graphics for the time, it was a later XL game.

Either of these ring a bell?

Edited by Sargnickfury

I've figured out most of the Apple II games I remember playing back in elementary school like Odell Lake. But there are two I've never been able to track down.

In the first game, you controlled a person in a world and the perspective was like a 2D Zelda game. The overworld had a river running through the middle with a raft at the Western end that you could ride towards the East on. And there was a waterfall at Eastern end of the river. And I think there was a bridge that connected both sides of the river.

At the top of the overworld was a mountain with a ski lift that you could ride on where I think you started out at in the beginning of the game. At the Southern portion of the overworld was a small dungeon with a dragon. And I vaguely recall some sort of educational tie-in where you enter caves or something of the sort scattered throughout the overworld where you likely did something like solve math equations. I was fascinated by the overworld itself so I my memories aren't strong on the other component.

And I remember another game that seemed related. Not sure if the character was the same or the title of the game made me think they were related. It was some sort of carnival game where you went from booth to booth and participated in various minigames that likely had some sort of educational tie-in.

I remember planning to remember the title of the first game after 6th grade since I wanted to hopefully revisit it someday when I could really play it instead of just in short bursts on occasion. And I think I did manage to remember it for a few years but that has long since passed and several hours from time to time over the years glancing through lists of Apple II games online has never jogged my memory.

Anyone have any ideas what these two games were?

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 weeks later...

Ok what game is this.... C64 on screen has a penis.. You move the stick and jerk it off..also some sorta gang bang game where there is a buncha people getting raped.. kinda based on a epyx games deal...but anyways.. how much drugs were they on and what kind to make this crap.. probably inhaling thinners mainly i suspect.

Also arcade game with a big sprite running across a floor kinda like kf master but way larger and you can use a staff or chain or something as a weapon.. early 80's and i think very jap kinda name on it.. i think the guy had a round ball type head..

Edited by Jinks

Ok what game is this.... C64 on screen has a penis.. You move the stick and jerk it off..also some sorta gang bang game where there is a buncha people getting raped.. kinda based on a epyx games deal...but anyways.. how much drugs were they on and what kind to make this crap.. probably inhaling thinners mainly i suspect.

That sounds like "Stroker" and "Sex Games". I don't know who made Stroker, but Sex Games was programmed by two German teenage brothers. I think they were 15 and 13 when they wrote the game.