IGNORED

The "unidentified game from your childhood" thread

Ok I have one. Apple II game, possibly by Sunburst, where you had to care for and feed several different types of aliens. Some of them had specific food requirements and some of them had to be kept apart or they'd kill each other. You could build little barriers to keep them apart and give them specific food, I remember that much.

Tempest

After probably 20 years of searching, I finally found this game today! It is called "Discover" by Sunburst Communications, 1985.

There was an educational game for the Apple ][ that had a couple of games that you could choose from but required you to do a couple math problems and them you could play the game for a period of time and then you did more math problems. One of the games was that you built walls around a castle to protect your king from outside attackers. No idea what it was called, but I use to play it a lot at school when I was a kid.

I have one that's been bugging me, that I am pretty sure was for Apple IIe and it was either 1981 or 1982: it was a 1-player RPG where you wander around in a middle-ages like setting, and if you encounter an enemy you go to a close-up side view of you battling the enemy, with a life bar for each combatant. Both characters, if both are on the attack, hit each other with their weapons and a grunting noise is heard when they collide. Or you may use your shield. When one character's life bar is drained they flash (die) and the action will go back to overhead view (typical RPG view). Enemies included wights and ghosts, I believe. I remember watching kids play it on the school computers. Anyone know this one? I've looked at video of many Apple IIe games and I can't find it yet.

The Dragon's Eye (Epyx, 1981). It was released for Atari computers, too.

Thanks, but I just saw a YouTube video of it and I don't think that's it. Close though!

It definitely had dying characters flashing and a descending "beep boop" sound during the flash. It may have been 1982. I remember seeing this and Choplifter right around the same time.

There was an educational game for the Apple ][ that had a couple of games that you could choose from but required you to do a couple math problems and them you could play the game for a period of time and then you did more math problems. One of the games was that you built walls around a castle to protect your king from outside attackers. No idea what it was called, but I use to play it a lot at school when I was a kid.

Might it be part of the MECC "Mastering Math" series?

I have a few:

1) 70s arcade machine. I was young, all I remember was that it was black and white graphics, and you had either a plane or spaceship had to bomb things on the ground (like scramble, but earlier)

2) A Commodore 64 Lunar-Lander style game, except in color. It was released in 83 or earlier. My local store used to run at as a demo of the C64 at the time

3) A trivia arcade machine-- late 80s probably, maybe early 90s. I don't remember much else except I used to have fun playing it.

I have a few:

1) 70s arcade machine. I was young, all I remember was that it was black and white graphics, and you had either a plane or spaceship had to bomb things on the ground (like scramble, but earlier)

2) A Commodore 64 Lunar-Lander style game, except in color. It was released in 83 or earlier. My local store used to run at as a demo of the C64 at the time

3) A trivia arcade machine-- late 80s probably, maybe early 90s. I don't remember much else except I used to have fun playing it.

1. Perhaps Canyon Bomber.

2. Perhaps Jupiter Lander.

3. Perhaps Trivial Pursuit (Bally/Sente).

1. Perhaps Canyon Bomber.

Hmmm, maybe, but I thought the background was black, not gray, and I thought there were targets on the ground, not letters in a pit. But my memory is pretty fuzzy on this game

2. Perhaps Jupiter Lander.

I think that's the one! thanks

3. Perhaps Trivial Pursuit (Bally/Sente).

That's not it. I would have remembered that name as we played the board game :) I recall this game having a robot or something on screen with eyes, if that helps.

Hmmm, maybe, but I thought the background was black, not gray, and I thought there were targets on the ground, not letters in a pit. But my memory is pretty fuzzy on this game

I think that's the one! thanks

That's not it. I would have remembered that name as we played the board game :) I recall this game having a robot or something on screen with eyes, if that helps.

What was the action like in the first one? Was it horizontal flying, like in Canyon Bomber?

One other one I'm thinking of is SKY RAIDER, but the action is vertically scrolling and you don't see your own vehicle, you just fire at targets below. Maybe have a look at that one.

I have one - I never knew the name of...

Early 80s arcade game.

Vertical scrolling - through starfield I guess - with some rocks coming down - you blast them out of the way.

Can't recall what other stuff may be in this game. Maybe I only saw it once or twice - and only played it once.

I think it was in colour?

Would be the time that Atlantis? came out - that little sub? game blasting everything.. like scramble... and Pleiades... etc

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

Early 80s arcade game.

Vertical scrolling - through starfield I guess - with some rocks coming down - you blast them out of the way.

Can't recall what other stuff may be in this game. Maybe I only saw it once or twice - and only played it once.

Would be the time that Atlantis? came out - that little sub? game blasting everything.. like scramble... and Pleiades... etc

Harvey

Maybe Red Clash or Zero Hour; have a look at those.

What was the action like in the first one? Was it horizontal flying, like in Canyon Bomber?

One other one I'm thinking of is SKY RAIDER, but the action is vertically scrolling and you don't see your own vehicle, you just fire at targets below. Maybe have a look at that one.

It was definitely horizontal, and you bomb targets on the ground. The reason I question Canyon Bomber is I seem to recall the background being black, not grey (but it was a black and white game)

I was young though, and it was probably the first videogame I ever saw/played. My memory of it is a little hazy. I remember it being the only arcade machine in the main corridor of the local mall, and was soon joined by a bunch of others, before the mall added an arcade to house them all.

Early 80s arcade game.

Harvey

Kinda sounds like Astroblast & Astrosmash by Mattel?

• 1 year later...

Gah, I just started looking up games from my childhood and was looking for this exact game. All I can remember is "Blackbeard's Ghost" and the stuff you mentioned. Any luck finding it?

Unearthing this for an update. An excellent individual over at Reddit identified the game as a few games by Gamco. Specifically Fractions: Addition and Subtraction, though he did also mention that it was included in a money game, and possibly a few more. I hope this reaches you, and anyone else looking for this game!

@CTF@

Unearthing this for an update. An excellent individual over at Reddit identified the game as a few games by Gamco. Specifically Fractions: Addition and Subtraction, though he did also mention that it was included in a money game, and possibly a few more. I hope this reaches you, and anyone else looking for this game!

@CTF@

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it! I thought I'd never see this again! Thank you so much for resurrecting this to tell me. This makes me way happier than it should :P Also big props to the dude who was able to find it. Time to relive some 2nd grade memories :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's this game I don't know the name of, that I used to watch my dad play on his Commodore 128. I'm not sure if it was in 64 mode or not, but I'm pretty sure it was?

Anyways, the game featured a man with a torch who'd walk around a dungeon or a mansion of some sort and sometimes he'd enter a door and there would be a slope and he'd slide down it with like a 'flute' 'weeeeeehhhh' sound.

I don't remember anything else about the game.

I've played this kinda game quite recently but cannot track it down now. It's a mansion, and it has levels, lifts and rooms. Not a platformer, sort of weird hybrid of adventure and something else. You enter rooms and either find supplies/items or nothing or that cursed slope which sends you back to level one. There's also a timer and the aim is to get to top mansion level.

I'm playing every single C64 game starting from digit 0 and I'm currently at "6" but couldn't see it. So maybe have played it in some random fit. Or perhaps it's not even the game he's looking for :)

MS-DOS flight sim set in WW2

You flew in a P51 Mustang on various missions. The .exe was actually named P51; that's what you typed in to start the game from DOS.

Polygonal 3D, but with no lighting or texture mapping.

Before each mission you could equip your plane with various weapons. If I remember correctly, you could rotate your plane to get a good look at it outfitted. Weapons on the left of the screen; plane on the right.

On my DOS PC it would play music on the PC'd internal beeper; on my Win 95 PC it would play the same song via MIDI, but it left out the 1st few notes.

If you were going down you could bail out. A polygonal animation of your character parachuting out would play. Text would appear telling you if you were captured or if you managed to escape.