IGNORED

The "unidentified game from your childhood" thread

Copying a post from the Apple II forum. Anybody knows this one? Didn't manage to find it after all these years...

It was a shooting game and it had two distinct phases. One was in space and the second was on a planet. While I don't remember the gameplay that much, I remember that when you lose the screen shows two giant eyes looking left and right, as if the alien are mocking you.

So it was not exactly a Space Invaders clone, it had a few more things to it to make interesting. There was some simple art in background to make it more interesting, to make you feel you are in space or on the planet.

If Im not mistaken in the space half you move vertically and in the planet half you move horizontally like in space invaders.

Edited by Newsdee

• 1 month later...

Copying a post from the Apple II forum. Anybody knows this one? Didn't manage to find it after all these years...

Just thought I'd quote you since I thought it might send you an alert.

My next guess is Galactic Gliders (which I actually tracked down, transfered and posted to Asimov personally... Heh), but that doesn't seem as close a match as Tharolian Tunnels.

There's this game I don't know the name of, that I used to watch my dad play on his Commodore 128. I'm not sure if it was in 64 mode or not, but I'm pretty sure it was?

Anyways, the game featured a man with a torch who'd walk around a dungeon or a mansion of some sort and sometimes he'd enter a door and there would be a slope and he'd slide down it with like a 'flute' 'weeeeeehhhh' sound.

I don't remember anything else about the game.

Vampire's Empire?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember playing a DOS soccer game in the mid-90s where you picked animal team banners with animal characters, but can not find info.

There was also another old soccer game, top down perpective, where the match would be interrupted because a naked crasher would enter the field. Wish modern soccer games adopted this too!

• 1 month later...

Well this one would actually be from my teenage years...

An Amiga OCS game:

- platformer

- main character carried a long thin hammer

- enemies looked like tall devil-wraith things and could teleport (they looked kind of like the Flash when they moved -- with motion blur lines behind them)

I recall a lot of reds and oranges in the colors. It looked kind of like he was supposed to be fighting his way through hell.

Sure wish I could find out the name of that one.

Found it!

It's called Deliverance, published by 21st Century Entertainment (same people who published Pinball Dreams).

https://youtu.be/Er4FkDCv3ns?t=1254

Edited by Nebulon
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have 2 games that I'm trying to track down.  Both games were educational for Apple ][.

The first one was from when I was in grammar school.  The timeframe is 1980-1987.  It was a math game that featured a little space ship on-screen that was shaped like an n-gon (10-12 sided).  In the middle of the space ship it would either have a math problem or the answer, and attacking the space ship outside would be either an answer or math problem.  I can't remember if you had to use the arrow keys to change the answer or use the arrow keys to select which problem you were attacking with whatever answer your ship held inside.  Once you had the right answer for the right problem you hit the space bar and the ship would fire.  Correct answers obviously eliminated the problem whereas errors would miss (with a primitive raspberry-style sound) and the problem or answer outside of the ship would keep creeping closer and closer.  The game covered addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.  It might've been a derivative of Math Blaster but most iterations I've seen seemed far more primitive and far less engaging than what I'm thinking of.

The other game was while I was in Junior High so we're looking at up until 1989.  The game could've conceivably been made prior to me entering Jr. High.  It reminded me a bit of the movie Innerspace featuring Martin Short and Dennis Quaid.  You were miniaturized down inside of a miniature spaceship-style craft and had to enter the human body (I almost want to say you entered through the mouth vs. being injected, as I think it was a challenge to navigate your way into the body around the teeth and tongue, etc.).  It was an edutainment level game as you did a fair amount of learning about the human body but also had moments where your ship was being attacked by white blood cells and you had to shoot them.  I remember it had some pretty awesome still screen artwork even on the monochrome screens we had back then.  On color monitors (we had a mix of both in the lab at the Jr. High) the color palette was obviously very limited but it still was quite impressive.

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 4:41 AM, CaptainBreakout said:

Just thought I'd quote you since I thought it might send you an alert.

My next guess is Galactic Gliders (which I actually tracked down, transfered and posted to Asimov personally... Heh), but that doesn't seem as close a match as Tharolian Tunnels.

I finally found it!

It was Twerps:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/apple2/twerps

• Like 2

Congrats, Newsdee!

Your success inspired me to try and find mine again and... good gravy, was it really 9+ years ago when I asked??

On 4/12/2010 at 4:03 PM, FujiSkunk said:

I'll bite.

Back in 1980 or '81 or so, my mother's school had TRS-80s (not sure of the exact models). One game we played a lot of was a cross between pinball and Breakout. That is, it was supposed to be a pinball game, but you kept the ball in play by using a Breakout-style paddle instead of flippers. The game also had a table editor, and one day we discovered you could use the editor to erase even the paddle! The paddle would reappear once you started playing, though.

Any ideas what this one might be?

Well, anyway, I found mine too: Paddle Pinball!

• Like 2

This is an awesome development!!! Comgrats to everyone who found their game. :) (Haunting? Isn't it?)

I still have one myself. An Apple II game... It was arcade style, but had educational elements. I think it might have been published by Sunburst.

Answering math questions correctly awarded bombs in player's inventory. After awhile, player got to fly a plane left to right to attack enemy territory arcade style. The gameplay reminecent of Super Cobra, Capt Goodnight, Star Blazer, or JumpJet (last 3 for apple II).

Anyone seen this? Maybe something for 4am's recent releases? 

There was an Apple II game around 1982 or 1983 I saw that was an single character RPG.  When you were approached by an enemy the action switched to a side-view battle.  You both had life bars and would swing your sword/mace/whatever weapon you chose (or you could raise your shield).  A weird grunting noise was played when the weapons struck.  Whichever character ran out of life flashed different colors and made a "beep boop" sound that continued to lower in pitch.  The game would then return to the overworld scenario.  I remember wights being enemies.

There was also a game that I'd seen on multiple different computers back in the 80s, where you fire a rocket at the enemy launcher on the same screen as you.  You must determine the height and distance of the blast (inputting in the numbers for each) and hope you hit it.  What was the name of it?

Just came up with another: A game for the Amiga that felt a little perhaps like the later FLASHBACK.  It seemed to have the same type of smaller sprite fixed screen action, taking place on an alien world.  I did not know what the hell I was doing on that game, but I had some lame kick at my disposal at least.  I ran into an alien, who picked me up and strangled me with one hand.  I didn't know how to fight my way out of it so I died.  I remember we had one of the Dark Castle games, Bionic Commando and Babar The Barbarian for the Amiga, but I couldn't remember the alien planet one.  This was probably 1990 or 1991 that I played it.

I don't know the first game you mentioned, but the second is certainly some version of Artillery (or Artillery Simulator, Artillery Duel, etc.), while the third is unmistakably Another World aka Out of This World (though the strangling happens relatively late in the game, which is odd if you didn't get far with it).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I don't know the first game you mentioned, but the second is certainly some version of Artillery (or Artillery Simulator, Artillery Duel, etc.), while the third is unmistakably Another World aka Out of This World (though the strangling happens relatively late in the game, which is odd if you didn't get far with it).

No, the third one isn't Another World but it seemed like it.  You actually can die from being strangled (not just part of a scene the computer plays out for you).  I've played through Another World/OOTW, so I know that wasn't it.  It seemed to be a pretty crappy game.  You had a sort of life bar, and your kick attack was fairly goofy looking IIRC.

But thanks for the answer on Artillery.  That seems right.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, retrorussell said:

No, the third one isn't Another World but it seemed like it.  You actually can die from being strangled (not just part of a scene the computer plays out for you).  I've played through Another World/OOTW, so I know that wasn't it.  It seemed to be a pretty crappy game.  You had a sort of life bar, and your kick attack was fairly goofy looking IIRC.

Maybe Ečstatica?

Bioforge?

hmm... This is an interesting one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zap! said:

Hotdog. It was from the late 80's, 1989 being the latest, but it could have been old then. It was a complete ripoff of Lemonade Stand, only that you sell hotdogs instead. Probably for Apple II. No one remembers this game, not even Google. :(

If you went to Middle School in Belmont, CA, that WAS my hacked version of Lemonade Stand you remember. Although it was a lot more sexually explicit then what you descibe, and got me sent to principal's office.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Maybe Ečstatica?

Bioforge?

hmm... This is an interesting one.

Nope.. too new.  These look too advanced for the game I played.  It was a simple 2D smaller-sprite game.. looked more like FLASHBACK than OOTW/ANOTHER WORLD (smoother character movement).  This was on the regular Amiga, before the Amiga CD came around.  I've looked through a ton of Amiga game videos to try to find it but no dice.

Thanks for the suggestions, though-- those are interesting games!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

If you went to Middle School in Belmont, CA, that WAS my hacked version of Lemonade Stand you remember. Although it was a lot more sexually explicit then what you descibe, and got me sent to principal's office.

Lol, no I always lived in NYC. Do you still own a copy? :D