IGNORED

The "unidentified game from your childhood" thread

9 minutes ago, Zap! said:

As soon as I read "Greek mythology" and "early 1990's" I immediately thought of the awesome God Of Thunder. Unfortunately, the rest doesn't match.

Hahaha!  Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I've been brave enough to suggest God of Thunder as a potential for a Jaguar game around here since it's now open source... But I'm just another fanboy who can't code that great so meh. I DO love it that much tho.

Also, God of Thunder is Norse. ?

Anyways...

Maybe this game in question is somewhere in this list?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_based_on_Greek_mythology

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 1:45 AM, CaptainBreakout said:

Hahaha!  Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I've been brave enough to suggest God of Thunder as a potential for a Jaguar game around here since it's now open source... But I'm just another fanboy who can't code that great so meh. I DO love it that much tho.

Also, God of Thunder is Norse. ?

Anyways...

Maybe this game in question is somewhere in this list?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_based_on_Greek_mythology

You are right, it's not Greek mythology at all! I'll blame it on being late and having one too many! :D

On 6/25/2021 at 5:46 AM, 7800Knight said:

I got another one and it involved Greek mythology.

The previous game you asked about, you specified it might've been for Apple II or C64. Does this apply this time too, or are you thinking of e.g. a PC game? Such details help a lot in searching and narrowing down possible candidates.

I'm not into strategy games, but I'm heavily into MS-DOS games, and those videos have reminded me of:

1) How strangely ugly 640x400 games feel compared to 320x200 games.

2) How grateful must we all be for channels like Squakenet and petsasjim, whose owners have basically spent the last 10 years of their lives uploading gameplay of every single MS-DOS game that exists... WITH THE WRONG ASPECT RATIO.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this one was on the Vic-20 or C-64. It was an overhead maze/dungeon crawler. The main thing I remember about it was the maze was completely blacked out except for a small area immediately around your character. I think the goal was simply to find the exit but you could run into enemies along the way. You could also obtain and shoot a flaming arrow which would illuminate a strip of the maze until the arrow hit a wall and went out.

Fairly certain it wasn't Temple of Apshai. I played a bit of that back in the day on my Apple //c and I never had the game I'm thinking of on my Apple. If I recall correctly it was a single screen maze with no big open areas, every corridor was only one character wide just enough for your player or the enemies to traverse through. The big mechanic in the game was the completely hidden maze with the exception of the area around the player.

31 minutes ago, TheDevil'sCompass said:

Fairly certain it wasn't Temple of Apshai. I played a bit of that back in the day on my Apple //c and I never had the game I'm thinking of on my Apple. If I recall correctly it was a single screen maze with no big open areas, every corridor was only one character wide just enough for your player or the enemies to traverse through. The big mechanic in the game was the completely hidden maze with the exception of the area around the player.

Sword of Fargoal! I have it on my C-64 mini. Fun game.

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2010 at 7:03 AM, FujiSkunk said:

I'll bite.

Back in 1980 or '81 or so, my mother's school had TRS-80s (not sure of the exact models). One game we played a lot of was a cross between pinball and Breakout. That is, it was supposed to be a pinball game, but you kept the ball in play by using a Breakout-style paddle instead of flippers. The game also had a table editor, and one day we discovered you could use the editor to erase even the paddle! The paddle would reappear once you started playing, though.

Any ideas what this one might be?

That's definitely Paddle Pinball, for the TRS-80 Model 1.

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:56 PM, Atariboy said:

Finally found it. Has been an off and on search of over 20 years to finally track this one down.

It's called Tink!Tonk!: Tonk in the Land of Buddy-Bots (A name I do not recall at all) and was developed by Angelsoft and published by Mindscape in 1984.

1007761-tink-tonk-tonk-in-the-land-of-bu

1007764-tink-tonk-tonk-in-the-land-of-bu

https://www.mobygames.com/game/apple2/tinktonk-tonk-in-the-land-of-buddy-bots

The related game I remember is called Tink!Tonk!: Tink's Subtraction Fair.

1035454-tink-tonk-tink-s-subtraction-fai

There are also two other games in the series that my elementary school in the early 1990's apparently didn't have.

Good gravy, you did it! I was thinking about this randomly the other day and remembered this post. Congrats on the end of your search (and consequently, mine)! Who would've thought it was a Mercer Mayer game...

• Like 1