IGNORED

Adventure Studio

ilmenit

Is the interface compatible with Amiga mouse, ST mouse or Atari Trackball?

I'm asking because such mouse support is almost finished for the version 003.

Yes, the interface can emulate a ST mouse too. That helps - thank you!

The CX77 mode is very easy to support, needs tiny code and saves many CPU cycles.

If you may have performance problems while supporting other features this could be a solution.

(I think, updates like this in the

at 0:30 are nearly impossible with the ST mouse.)

Good job

Irgendwer

(Edit: And best of all: There is no interference when using the CMI08 and a joystick via Y-cable at the same time (that bugged me with the ST-mouse)).

Edited by Irgendwer

• 3 years later...

The past few days I played arround with Adventure Studio,

Got it to rebuild, changed the example game and so far I'm very happy with this sofware and contemplating to create an adventure game with it,

But, at the same time the project seems to be inactive, is it still under development?

Thanks,

The past few days I played arround with Adventure Studio,

Got it to rebuild, changed the example game and so far I'm very happy with this sofware and contemplating to create an adventure game with it,

But, at the same time the project seems to be inactive, is it still under development?

Then you are the first person except me to seriously try it :-)

The project was finished to a state where you could build a working game with it. Having no feedback I have not implemented any other features.

I will gladly help you with it - drop me a private message or - even better - write your questions here. The answers will be useful for the others :-)

I wonder if it would be possible to include support for the PCIN. MIN, and other Super IRG graphics files that I have been using in my picture demos.

That wouldn't be a problem to add other graphics modes, but I think that flickering modes are not very good for static gaming. That is too tiring for your eyes, especially on PAL.

Then you are the first person except me to seriously try it :-)

The project was finished to a state where you could build a working game with it. Having no feedback I have not implemented any other features.

I will gladly help you with it - drop me a private message or - even better - write your questions here. The answers will be useful for the others :-)

Thanks for the reply, happy to hear the project has not died :-)

My biggest feature wish at this time is to have the ability to save and restore the game state (especially the contents of the Inventory and current room)

Also, perhaps you could explain a bit about the memory limitations; The Atari ofcourse doesnt have so much memory space as a PC

so I wonder what is the maximum number of rooms and objects that can be defined (or how I should estimate).

Possibly, some light on memory management would make things clearer

Ofcourse, having sounds & animation would be great, but imho thats a nice to have feature, what it can do now will do just great for my needs,

Also, I am an experienced C programmer - just no experience what so ever on Atari 800 XL,

All the best,

Thanks for the reply, happy to hear the project has not died :-)

My biggest feature wish at this time is to have the ability to save and restore the game state (especially the contents of the Inventory and current room)

Also, perhaps you could explain a bit about the memory limitations; The Atari ofcourse doesnt have so much memory space as a PC

so I wonder what is the maximum number of rooms and objects that can be defined (or how I should estimate).

Possibly, some light on memory management would make things clearer

Ofcourse, having sounds & animation would be great, but imho thats a nice to have feature, what it can do now will do just great for my needs,

Also, I am an experienced C programmer - just no experience what so ever on Atari 800 XL,

All the best,

Save/Restore feature shouldn't be hard to implement. A more important one and related to limited memory should be a common space among different executable parts.

Memory is very limited (about 3-4 screens with graphics and code) and spliting adventure into separate executables is a must. To estimate available memory you can add some large array in the code. The compiler should show you how much did you cross the limit.

• 3 months later...

So far, things are going quite well - During the summer I studied your sources and learned a great deal more about the Atari (and the cc65 project)

Now, I'm getting more into the nitty graphic details and would like to convert some of my crude drawings into MIC and DLI files to be loaded into the engine,

The MIC file is rather easy to produce using the RastaConverter tool, but I am not sure how to proceed from there to get a DLI file

The RastaConvert tool does put out a PMG file and I can output palette files with Timanthes, but the dots don't connect

Do I have to generate assembler some how and compile it into a binary ?

Adventure Studio framework does not support pictures created by RastaConverter. Right now it uses output from the older tool, Quantizator (MIC & COL) that can be imported and edited in Graph2Font program. gfx_slicer tool available in the framework is responsible for converting MIC & COL files to a form usable by the framework (COL file format is converted into compact DLI description).

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
17 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

So I think this tool would be perfect for the game I would like to create.  Has there been any further development of it?

Sometime in 2021 or 2022 I'd heard there was interest from the developers of the game called Asteroida, the cause of lifes troubles (which BTW I've not since heard anything about) - to be taking the Adventure studio engine forward.

Check this out https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5850&page=1

?PostBackAction=Download&AttachmentID=16386

I had hoped that:

1) Asteroida, the cause of life's troubles - which looks a great point and click game - was going to be completed and finished

2) That the excellent Adventure Studio, which looks like an amazing engine for much needed colourful point and click games, would be finally realised.

I mean look at what it can do!!

Maybe both are still being worked on?

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Sometime in 2021 or 2022 I'd heard there was interest from the developers of the game called Asteroida, the cause of lifes troubles (which BTW I've not since heard anything about) - to be taking the Adventure studio engine forward.

Check this out https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5850&page=1

?PostBackAction=Download&AttachmentID=16386

I had hoped that:

1) Asteroida, the cause of life's troubles - which looks a great point and click game - was going to be completed and finished

2) That the excellent Adventure Studio, which looks like an amazing engine for much needed colourful point and click games, would be finally realised.

I mean look at what it can do!!

Maybe both are still being worked on?

So Asteroida wasn't finished?

Point and click is pretty much exactly what I am thinking.  I was actually thinking more of a keyboard actuated interface, but then remembered the Adventure Studio thread and now that I am looking at it, that's what I need.

49 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

So Asteroida wasn't finished?

Point and click is pretty much exactly what I am thinking.  I was actually thinking more of a keyboard actuated interface, but then remembered the Adventure Studio thread and now that I am looking at it, that's what I need.

Unsure. Asteroida was clearly on track and then we've not heard anything since. Can't find anything on it since that url post. 

Point and click interfaces, especially mouse controlled, are ideal for these games. In the adventure studio video it showcases a fantastic mix of a cursor for clicking around the image/game world and selecting inventory, alongside a word command system. I love the split screen image with interface. This is an engine created by ilmenit, who is behind the amazing rastaconverter, where he has clearly illustrated great graphics and use of dli's and pmg's can be used to great effect in a point and click interface. It looks like a 16bit game. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2