IGNORED

Which Should I Setup: Vic-20, Mac Plus, or PCjr?

Tempest

Unfortunately, you can't use parallel devices on a Mac.

There should be an option in Toast to use HFS standard instead of HFS extended, I'm not 100% sure where the option is depending on your version of Toast.

Ok I'll look tonight and try HFS on the lowest speed.

Tempest

I was able to get Toast to write a CD in HFS format, but it still doesn't work. When I put it into the CD drive it seems to just spin forever and the Mac never seems to see the CD. I'm guessing it could be one of these problems:

1. The computer wrote the data to the CD too fast. 6x seems to be the slowest it will go unfortunately.

2. The CD has too much data for the Mac to handle. I'm not sure if this is even a possibility, the CD contains about 180MB

3. The CD Drive can't read the CD-R. I don't know why this would be, it worked on my IIgs

4. I have the CD drive hooked up wrong. I don't think this is the case as I have the Mac connected to the HD first and then the CD. I have a terminator on the end and the drive ID's are set properly (HD higher than CD).

5. I burnt the CD wrong. Still a possibility I guess.

Any ideas?

Tempest

I was able to get Toast to write a CD in HFS format, but it still doesn't work. When I put it into the CD drive it seems to just spin forever and the Mac never seems to see the CD. I'm guessing it could be one of these problems:

1. The computer wrote the data to the CD too fast. 6x seems to be the slowest it will go unfortunately.

2. The CD has too much data for the Mac to handle. I'm not sure if this is even a possibility, the CD contains about 180MB

3. The CD Drive can't read the CD-R. I don't know why this would be, it worked on my IIgs

4. I have the CD drive hooked up wrong. I don't think this is the case as I have the Mac connected to the HD first and then the CD. I have a terminator on the end and the drive ID's are set properly (HD higher than CD).

5. I burnt the CD wrong. Still a possibility I guess.

Any ideas?

Tempest

Hmm... now it gets interesting...

What model is the CD-ROM drive and which driver software are you using?

I'm also wondering if it will read a non-burned disc. I don't suppose you have any HFS CD's laying around?

I'm guessing it could be one of these problems:

6. It doesn't like your blank media.

I know when I used to burn VCDs, there was definitely some discs that wouldn't work.

I had good luck with Memorex, but other people didn't. So I think it's a combination of the burner and the media.

Some older drives are just picky.

Just a thought.

desiv

No driver software. Do Macs need drivers? I know on my IIgs whatever was included in the OS worked.

Tempest

You're using System 6 right? Out of the box it doesn't have CD-ROM support. An appropriate driver will have to be installed. Now you have a genuine catch-22. :)

I have FWB CD-ROM toolkit laying around here somewhere.

This page has a download for a Pioneer driver that works with Apple's CD 150: http://www.macdrivermuseum.net/disk.shtml

Sunrise CD-ROM driver (also on that page) should work as well.

Now you just need to get them on floppy or on the SCSI HD.

Well crap. None of my Macs have a disk drive (other than my IIgs). Can I write a Mac format disk on the IIgs?

Tempest

My knowledge of what GS/OS can do is pretty limited. I did find this: http://www.applefritter.com/node/21491

Not sure if that helps or not.

Do you have any 800k floppies? I could put some drivers on floppy for you. That won't get it running tonight though. I could also copy them straight to your SCSI HD for you.

I got it working... sorta. I get this error: There isn't enough Finder memory to work with the disk "Games". Any idea? Too much on the CD for the poor mac to handle?

EDIT: That must be it because the smaller CD I made with just one game on it works. What's the limit on the size of CD that the Mac can handle? Can I increase the Finder memory?

Tempest

Try going into the System Folder and click on "Finder", then go to "File" and "Get Info". You may be able to increase the size of the Finders memory in there. Don't go too crazy though. :) It may also require a reboot.

Glad to hear that you got it to read something!

EDIT: I've never seen evidence of a CD-ROM size limit. System 6 can handle up to 2 GB HDs, so I would think a CD would be just fine. With that said, I can't remember the last time (if ever?) that I tried to use a CD in System 6. I'm definitely a System 7.1 child. :)

Edited by aftermac

Try going into the System Folder and click on "Finder", then go to "File" and "Get Info". You may be able to increase the size of the Finders memory in there. Don't go too crazy though. :) It may also require a reboot.

Glad to hear that you got it to read something!

EDIT: I've never seen evidence of a CD-ROM size limit. System 6 can handle up to 2 GB HDs, so I would think a CD would be just fine. With that said, I can't remember the last time (if ever?) that I tried to use a CD in System 6. I'm definitely a System 7.1 child. :)

I'll try this tonight. It was so late when I got it to work (finally) that I didn't have much of a chance to do anything else. The CD has about 220MB on it, I wonder how much finder memory I need for that? The CD that worked only had 2MB on it.

I was thinking about installing System 6.0.8 on the Mac and reformatting the HD. What's the best way to go about doing that? The HD came with the Mac and has a whole bunch of business stuff on it that I don't need and doesn't work (looks like they tried to delete some stuff but either gave up or didn't do a complete job).

Tempest