IGNORED

5200 Carrying Case

MrRetroGamer

I can only assume that the item mentioned in a previous thread in the EBAY forum as a BRAND NEW 5200 Carrying Case was an item from Best Electronics. This is a nylon bag and not the HARD plastic case that several of us thought it was. :sad: The poster gave a clue that the original outer box was used as the shipping box, and this is consistent with Best Electronics shipping on large items. The poster thinks he "ordered" an item listed in the DP guide as a rarity 7. :roll:

Here is the page from the Best website that I think is being referred:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/interne...et_specials.htm

I was browsing www.atari2600.com last night and in their wanted list they had a 5200 case they would be willing to pay $40 for.  If anyone knows these guys maybe you could email them and see if one really exists.

After looking at the prices they are offering for rare stuff, I wouldn't sell them anything. Those are the lowest lowball prices I have ever seen.

I'd say a real live hard shell 5200 carry case with the logo is worth a hell of a lot more than $40!

Oh, I know I had a picture of this case somewhere, this is from an old EBAY auction.

post-41-1036076267_thumb.jpg

There was an auction on eBay about 5 months ago that included the hard case for the 5200.  I personally would pay more than $40 for one that is in good shape.  I have been looking for one for some time, but so have several other people.

I think this picture was from that same auction earlier this year. If I remember correctly, the seller had to relist the auction another time because of issues with the international bidder who won the first time. I remember the lot included some carts and a 5200 console. I think it went over $200 at that time. I should have bid when I had the chance. :sad:

After looking at the prices they are offering for rare stuff, I wouldn't sell them anything.  Those are the lowest lowball prices I have ever seen.

I'd say a real live hard shell 5200 carry case with the logo is worth a hell of a lot more than $40!

Oh, I know I had a picture of this case somewhere, this is from an old EBAY auction.

Some of their buy prices were low but didn't someone here pick up a River Patrol for $10, they would pay $450 for one :)

Thanks for the nice picture of the case, that would be worth some $$$ for a 5200 collector.

The 5200 case I have is the same one in your photo.

If that is the case can you please answer the following question: WHERE did you get it, and WHEN. If you got it 20 years ago, that would explain alot, if you bought it last month, then I need to know where to get one too. Dig out those pics please, OK?

I got 1 of those suckers too :D - they are HUGE tho' !!

Bought it from this guy: http://www.art-fool.com/atari5200.htm

for $35.00 about 2 years ago, it's in great shape, but the

2 latches in front have some rust on them. :sad:

Guess I could remove 'em and get them redipped, someday?

If you see one out there you better grab it up fast.

They only come by once in a great while.

Later-

If that is the case can you please answer the following question:  WHERE did you get it, and WHEN.  If you got it 20 years ago, that would explain alot, if you bought it last month, then I need to know where to get one too.

I have 2 of these cases and am kicking myself for not buying more at the time. Best Electronics sold these for $15 each, NEW in the box. I got mine for that price from him around 1987 I believe. They are the real deal with slots inside for the carts, etc.

As a side note, they also hold the Atari XL computers nicely. This is probably why I bought 2 at the time.

John

Hey cx2k, did you save your 5200 carrying case boxes?

No. Unfortunately, I was in the military at the time and didn't have a lot of room for things like empty boxes. Also, the fact that Best Electronics shipped them to me in those boxes, meaning they had stickers, etc. all over them.

Probably should have kept one though. It just didn't seem important back then. :(

John

• 18 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought mine back in 1989 for $20 at the World of Atari Convention at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim CA. I don't recall if it was from Best Electronics or B&C but they cut the inside to fit an Atari ST so I used it back then to transport my Atari 1040STf to the user group meetings. I wish I wouldn't have done that now but I didn't have a 5200 back then and a good portion of the Atari community disliked that console at the time.

If the silver label is still legible then consider yourself lucky. I stored my case in a closet that no sunlight touched and the writing still faded on it like it had been sitting in a storefront window.

I actually got mine just over a year ago now I believe? I actually spent $150 shipped for my case. But it also included a fully working and in very good condition 4-port 5200 complete with controllers, PSU, the switchbox and a full selection of games inside it. So I figured it was an excellent deal!

Like the others have stated, it too arrived with a very faded label and like all the others I've seen, it is wrinkled as well. You have to look closely at it to see the Atari 5200 wording as it is more pink colored now and hard to see against the silver label background. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I actually got mine just over a year ago now I believe? I actually spent $150 shipped for my case. But it also included a fully working and in very good condition 4-port 5200 complete with controllers, PSU, the switchbox and a full selection of games inside it. So I figured it was an excellent deal!

That was an excellent deal.?

52 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

More pictures!

I thought I posted these elsewhere but here are some pics I took of the one I got. In 'case' anyone is curious, I actually got mine through a SGW auction. Only thing really missing on my case is the lack of foam padding that used to be glued to the top on the inside of the case. I've got a sheet of bubble wrap placed in there currently to protect the console from any further scratches.

5200_Case1.thumb.jpg.73a45d1340e1d27c53634114831ffda1.jpg

5200_Case2.thumb.jpg.543c965c006df07bf9337252291cd6a5.jpg

5200_Case3.thumb.jpg.706759ea94d44b1693cb6372da91ba46.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I thought I posted these elsewhere but here are some pics I took of the one I got. In 'case' anyone is curious, I actually got mine through a SGW auction. Only thing really missing on my case is the lack of foam padding that used to be glued to the top on the inside of the case. I've got a sheet of bubble wrap placed in there currently to protect the console from any further scratches.

5200_Case1.thumb.jpg.73a45d1340e1d27c53634114831ffda1.jpg

5200_Case2.thumb.jpg.543c965c006df07bf9337252291cd6a5.jpg

5200_Case3.thumb.jpg.706759ea94d44b1693cb6372da91ba46.jpg

This looks so proper. The 5200 case is hard to come by. I have one for my 2600, but have never pulled the trigger on a 5200 version. They pop-up on eBay from time to time and IIRC, someone recently sold a case on the Forums.

Again, this was an excellent purchase on your part. I'd love to have one for my 5200 4 port.

4 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Again, this was an excellent purchase on your part. I'd love to have one for my 5200 4 port.

It goes well with the CIB 4-port I have that has the included Breakout cart as well before Pac-Man became the 'Pac' in game. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

It goes well with the CIB 4-port I have that has the included Breakout cart as well before Pac-Man became the 'Pac' in game. :lol:

Nice!

I keep the 9 numbered launch titles along with Asteroids, Missile Command and Space Invaders in my 2600 case.