IGNORED

5200 Carrying Case

MrRetroGamer

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't have the 2600 case oddly enough. Likely because I haven't ran across one for a good deal and they seem to come up more often then the 5200 cases do.

They do. I think I picked mine up around 2008 or so. I remember that it was $40 bucks and the guy had two for sale. The 5200 cases are rarer. 

Someone is selling a 2600 case (not the Atari hardshell) that I've never seen before.

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Someone is selling a 2600 case (not the Atari hardshell) that I've never seen before.

That’s a Lebo Peerless case.  I think it’s a lot rarer than the Atari case but probably doesn’t have much more value.  I picked one of these up a year or two ago.  It’s an interesting design but looks pretty ho-hum in comparison.  

52 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

That’s a Lebo Peerless case.  I think it’s a lot rarer than the Atari case but probably doesn’t have much more value.  I picked one of these up a year or two ago.  It’s an interesting design but looks pretty ho-hum in comparison.  

Yeah...I had to Google it. Kind of cool how it kind of turns into your game center.  I agree, this one would be rarer than the Atari version. I'll be interesting to see what the setup sells for. Assuming the controllers are all in working order, this is a nice starter system with a nice choice of games, but very pricey.

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Yeah...I had to Google it. Kind of cool how it kind of turns into your game center.  I agree, this one would be rarer than the Atari version. I'll be interesting to see what the setup sells for. Assuming the controllers are all in working order, this is a nice starter system with a nice choice of games, but very pricey.

I overpaid for mine in my opinion.   I think I paid $120 for just the case.  I really think it’s worth less than that though.  

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dredge up an ancient zombie thread, but this seemed like the most relevant thread.

Do any of you guys with an official 5200 carrying case have the internal dimensions? I see the external measurements are 17"x22"x6", but I wish I knew the internal measurements. Any iinfo regarding this would be very much appreciated! 🙏

Since these OG cases are quite rare & expensive nowadays, I've been trying to find a newer, cheaper, modern alternative that's readily available.

I did take a chance on a slightly used hard plastic carrying case, which I ran across on eBay (link & pics below) and picked up for under $30. However, my 5200 barely fits inside and there's really not enough room, depth wise, to protect the front and rear of my console, without risk of cracking the already fragile front plastics. As you can see, there is zero padding to protect the front & rear. Nevertheless, it's better than nothing I suppose and will have to do as a carrying case for now.. Figured I'd make a label for it in photoshop and slap it on there in the meantime, until I find something else.

PS: Here is the ebay link.. If nothing else, these cases could come in handy for housing something else, as the price is certainly right, that's for sure. I'm sure I can do better though. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403910087959?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1mjo6ut0qwg&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=qnunrF1dR7C&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20230210_163234.thumb.jpg.3839196c156b0afa8a07be3abafce569.jpg7a3dea4f4680fbc47f141fbaad75f7c4.0.thumb.jpg.d006bbf06b21a5c0b09d7bdf6e3af24a.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:28 PM, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Sorry to dredge up an ancient zombie thread, but this seemed like the most relevant thread.

Do any of you guys with an official 5200 carrying case have the internal dimensions? I see the external measurements are 17"x22"x6", but I wish I knew the internal measurements. Any iinfo regarding this would be very much appreciated! 🙏

Since these OG cases are quite rare & expensive nowadays, I've been trying to find a newer, cheaper, modern alternative that's readily available.

I did take a chance on a slightly used hard plastic carrying case, which I ran across on eBay (link & pics below) and picked up for under $30. However, my 5200 barely fits inside and there's really not enough room, depth wise, to protect the front and rear of my console, without risk of cracking the already fragile front plastics. As you can see, there is zero padding to protect the front & rear. Nevertheless, it's better than nothing I suppose and will have to do as a carrying case for now.. Figured I'd make a label for it in photoshop and slap it on there in the meantime, until I find something else.

PS: Here is the ebay link.. If nothing else, these cases could come in handy for housing something else, as the price is certainly right, that's for sure. I'm sure I can do better though. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403910087959?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1mjo6ut0qwg&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=qnunrF1dR7C&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

20230210_163234.thumb.jpg.3839196c156b0afa8a07be3abafce569.jpg7a3dea4f4680fbc47f141fbaad75f7c4.0.thumb.jpg.d006bbf06b21a5c0b09d7bdf6e3af24a.jpg

That looks quite nice! 

To answer your question, getting internal measurements won't be easy because the inside of the case is molded to hold the 5200 in place along with the PSU, switch box, and about a half dozen games along the side of it. So it doesn't use any foam aside from a thin section of foam that used to be glued to the inner top of the case. The rest of it is molded to the shape so yeah... not likely to get easy measurements.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That looks quite nice! 

To answer your question, getting internal measurements won't be easy because the inside of the case is molded to hold the 5200 in place along with the PSU, switch box, and about a half dozen games along the side of it. So it doesn't use any foam aside from a thin section of foam that used to be glued to the inner top of the case. The rest of it is molded to the shape so yeah... not likely to get easy measurements.

Thanks!

Yes, very good point. I kind of realized that after posting and looking at more pictures.. internal measurements would be difficult to get due to the complex layout, plus I guess they'd be kind of irrelevant anyway.. Just as long as it's at least 13" × 15" × 4.25" the 5200's measurements, that's all that matters. 👍

At any rate, I'll keep looking and if I find anything else worth mentioning, I'll be sure to post it so others can make their own "5200 carrying case on a budget". :)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD