IGNORED

Season 5 Week 3 - Castlevania (1987)

CGQuarterly

Welcome to week 3 of the 5th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This season is only going to be 10 weeks long, and will feature one game released each year between 1985 and 1994.

After 2 weeks, here are the current standings:

starcry         195
darthkur        125
Jibbajaba       117
mihcael         110
atari2600land   107
arjak            75
roadrunner       57
doubleminor      51
4Ks              26
LarcenTyler       8

This week's game and the 1987 entry is going to be Castlevania. Sorry, but that means we are doing a Konami game 2 weeks in a row, but I can't help it that Konami was awesome!

You can keep playing this game until you get a "Game Over", so if you defeat Dracula, keep going!

Title: Castlevania

Developer: Konami

Publisher: Konami

Released: May 1, 1987 (US)

Twin Galaxies High Score: 10,000,000 by Tom Votava. Second place is a little over 2.5 million. Those of you paying extra attention will notice that Tom Votava also holds the high score in last week's game, Gradius.

castlevania1.pngcastlevania2.pngcastlevania3.pngcastlevania4.png

I don't want to get anyone too excited, but I believe that starcry has a Castlevania-related prize to give out to this week's winner! Stay tuned!

Tips:

None yet!

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Castlevania Rankings

Last updated 02/02/10 @ 7:25PM PST

starcry        322,250    100% 
darthkur       204,640     64%
doubleminor    126,280     39%
Jibbajaba      103,140     32%
LarcenTyler     77,330     24%
Herbarius       64,720     20%
roadrunner      25,740      8%

Edited by Jibbajaba

Hi guys. Its nothing huge but I have an 8-bit replica of simon belmont from the preorder of a game. Its a pretty cool item for a classic gamer. I have 2 so dont need one. Its still in package of course.The game is not included,Its just the best image I could find.

cdxc-792272.jpg

It is on the right side. I also have a suprise castlevaina related prize as well.

Ok Whomever wins will have a choice between 2 prizes. The one listed above and Curse of Darkness for the Ps2. The prize that is not picked will go to the best sportsman or more helpful or the like (choosen by Jiba of course)

Play hard guys! If this goes well I will Sponser another game later in the season!

Edited by starcry

A little bit of an add on to the tips linked to. If you notice most people push holy water, and if your good with it, it can be the best weapon hands down. If however your not so great with it, The axe can be a wonderful second since it allows you to stay away from getting hit, it just wont help you on flying things.

Remember that when you are coming up on a boss that your sub weapon needs hearts so if you are eating them up through the whole level you may be forced to face him with the whip.

In the area where the birds drop flea men I personally think its best to whip the things before they even hit the ground, and if you have the axe and work at it you can do it with ease.

205960 Thats beating drac and playing a few levels into it before walking right off a stupid cliff after spilling hot coffee in my lap :( Drac is worth MAD points, I never noticed it before but I got almost 25% of my score off that dude. Thats right, 50k just for Drac. If your having trouble with grim I used the cross and stayed the heck out of the middle it really helped.

post-10357-126488209291_thumb.jpg

205960 Thats beating drac and playing a few levels into it before walking right off a stupid cliff after spilling hot coffee in my lap :( Drac is worth MAD points, I never noticed it before but I got almost 25% of my score off that dude. Thats right, 50k just for Drac. If your having trouble with grim I used the cross and stayed the heck out of the middle it really helped.

I must assume that you "continued" after some point mid game since, as you can see above, I just fell short of your score and was just beginning the final stage. I never got to Dracula in that game. I had assumed since, in the original post it stated "You can keep playing this game until you get a "Game Over" ", it was implied that once you originally run out of lives, "game over", that's it and back to the beginning. Therefore no continues. Of coarse that's my interpretation of it. Only Jibbajaba can say for any certainly.

I really don't want to get in the middle of this, except to say that I do not believe that starcry used a continue or did anything else outside the bounds of the HSC rules. If he played the game without collecting excessive hearts, moneybags, etc., and avoided some enemies instead of killing them then it is completely plausible that he beat the entire game and started again fresh while earning the score that he did. That being said, I also don't think that darthkur was accusing him of cheating, but rather suggesting that he may have misunderstood the rules based on his own interpretation of the situation.

Let's all just cool off and keep playing the game. Starcry, obviously if you want to leave then I can't stop you, but I hope you will reconsider.

Thanks,

Chris

I will still be passing out prizes. If anyone wants to look at the second post they can see what.

I do want to leave a simple statement that if you feel someone may be cheating talk to the player privatly first if that is not fixed then take it to jiba. That is simply my personal thought due to the way I react when spoken to in public.

Edited by starcry

I have decided after talking to jibba That I will still be passing out prizes, its a really buttholish thing to do just because I am angered at one person. Guys I dont cheat. I hate cheating, I hate being called a cheater and I snap when I feel I am being called one. I still say its flawed logic to assume because you play a game a certain way. I had to play through slowly and carefully, losing time and heart points, I dont bother going after money bags due to the deaths I cause myself sometimes,I also almost always choose to dodge bats and heads rather than whip,I also have a habit of taking a hit to get through some enemys I have trouble with late game, and dodging some early game.

In other words I could on my highscores coming from the length of time I manange to play, rather than trying to score on every single thing through stages. This only applies to games I am allowed to keep going through of course. So im sorry that I get mad but I find saying something like that in a public place is crude. Issues like that I feel should be taken to the player to explain if you think they are cheating, and to report it to jib if you feel its not resolved.

What Chris stated above, "suggesting that he may have misunderstood the rules based on his own interpretation of the situation", was exactly my thoughts on the matter. Plus, if using continues was indeed allowed then I would give it a go myself. So there's no need to be angry with anyone. It's simply a misunderstanding.

Let's all just have fun.

I have said everything I have to say on the matter. I cant say for a fact what someone ment, I can only judge based on what I think. It does not really matter, I am going to go back and edit my previous post so as to remove trash for a forum. I dont want my anger bringing others down.

I would appreciate it if you would do the same so that we dont discourage more people from coming. Thats the main reason I offered the prizes was in hope we could bring more people to compete against.

Edited by starcry

Bear in mind that there are 2 prizes this week, one to the winner and one to someone jiba chooses for whatever reason, So if you play well, nicely, there is still a shoot at one of them and they are both nice :) Also as I wont be winning my own prizes you only have darth to beat for first atm!