IGNORED

Buying a vectrex. What to watch out for?

Lendorien

Hey all,

With tax return season upon us, I have a couple hundred dollars I can spend on silly things, I'm seriously considering buying a Vectrex. I think the thing is darn cool and have wanted one for over a year since i first learned about it. Naturally, it'll have to be off an Auction site as I have little other place to find one.

For those who are collectors or enthusiasts, could you give me some tips, things to watch out for, questions to ask, a good price, etc? I'm pretty knowledgeable about other systems, but this one is not within my realm.

Thanks for the help folks! :D

Only things I can think of off the top of my head to try to get a Vectrex with a Controller.

The controllers can go for $40+ themselves, so if you think you're getting a deal and there's no controller, it's not much of a deal.

Also, if you're looking for a quick-collection, you can go for a multi-cart or the VecRAM. I went for the multicart, which I like, but only because there was no VecRAM when I did that. I'd go for the VecRAM now.

If you do plan on collecting the original games, I found when I was looking (this was a bit ago) that, although the price seemed high, the bundles (Vectrex with games) were actually less expensive than if you bought the games separately.

Good shopping, it's my favorite of all my systems and I don't regret it for a second...

desiv

I brought a Vectrex a while ago as fully working...

And when I tested it it looked fine. But if the unit is left on for more than 30 minutes or so the screen picture starts to fluctuate in size (gets smaller then bigger).

Anyone here know what's up with it?

I had exactly the same problem with one of my vectrexes...

It seemed to work ok when I checked it, but after about 20-30 mins of playtime the unit started going berserk and the image was shrinking...

A complete recap was the solution for me.

I'm not sure if it was a bad joint or a bad capacitor...but the recap solved the problem for me.

If the problem is not solved after the recap then you're in trouble, since its probable that you have a faulty chip on your vectrex....

now as for the initial question of the thread....

Apart from the cosmetic condition, you should definitely check that the controller is auto-centering. As already mentioned vectrex controllers are expensive...so you wouldn't want to get a faulty one with your vectrex.

If you have the luxury of picking up the unit and checking it yourself....let it play for 30 mins and check for any weird behaviour of the screen.

Just buy my extra one with the five or so games I have. Then you have no worries. :)

Always make sure you test the system out. I've ran across a few that would dim out after 15 min of play. Also, the controllers really need to be tested. You'd like to have one that works completely. All buttons. If the only they wrong with the controller is that the spring is broke so it does not self-center like it is suppose to, ask for $10-20 off or something and then apply an easy fix (break open an old Combat cart and use the spring in that.... then get new overlays.

If you can ever find the overlays for the vectrex itself, those are really cool. I never did find a set. :(

Edited by EricDeLee

I saw 2 Vectrex at this 2nd hand gaming store a little while back,they wanted $125 each, not including games.I thought that was too expensive,for me anyway.Then i thought,since the Vectrex is dependent on a built in monitor,the monitor konks out and that's it,you're screwed.Its not like you can just change the monitor/TV like you would do for a console,so i passed.Especially with the age of the Vectrex,too iffy for me.

Edited by Rik

Additionally, I have that 72 in 1 Multicart and I am not happy with it. It crashes a lot. It has to be that cart itself because none of the original carts crash the system.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it if anyone wants to buy it.

Not much of a salesman, are you? :) :ponder: ;)

desiv

Additionally, I have that 72 in 1 Multicart and I am not happy with it. It crashes a lot. It has to be that cart itself because none of the original carts crash the system.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it if anyone wants to buy it.

Not much of a salesman, are you? :) :ponder: ;)

desiv

Full disclosure. I'd rather keep it than lie and get a bad rep.

That's very strange -- I have the 72-in-1 and I've never had that problem, even after several hours of play. Perhaps yours is defective?

That's very strange -- I have the 72-in-1 and I've never had that problem, even after several hours of play. Perhaps yours is defective?

Same here. I have a Sean Kelly multicart, and have never had any problems with it.

Except that after I got it, they came out with RAM/Flash carts and I wanted one of those!! ;-)

desiv

Then i thought,since the Vectrex is dependent on a built in monitor,the monitor konks out and that's it,you're screwed.Its not like you can just change the monitor/TV like you would do for a console,so i passed.

Not necessarily, I've heard that Vectrexes have off the shelf hardware that you can supposedly take to a tv repair shop and they can get it fixed. Can't say I've heard of anyone doing that or not though, so that's at least something to remember and try out if it happens.

Then i thought,since the Vectrex is dependent on a built in monitor,the monitor konks out and that's it,you're screwed.Its not like you can just change the monitor/TV like you would do for a console,so i passed.

Not necessarily, I've heard that Vectrexes have off the shelf hardware that you can supposedly take to a tv repair shop and they can get it fixed. Can't say I've heard of anyone doing that or not though, so that's at least something to remember and try out if it happens.

That came across my mind after my post,that would be awesome if they are repairable cus if i could get a Vectrex at a fair price,not $125 with no games like i said above, id get one. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rik

Apparently the VecRAM was an earlier non-production (I think) project.

It used SRAM instead of FLASH and had a serial interface. I made quite a few of them.

(I also did a serial version of the VecFlash before the current USB model).

Richard H also did the VecDev which is like the VecRAM accept it also allows PC control of the Vectrex reset. Doing an automatic reset reduces the download and test cycle.

It's awesome for developing games. It works just like an EPROM emulator. You make a change to your code, compile it and have the binary download in as little as a few seconds. You can also use it like VecRAM too.

Not sure how many he made though, and if he still makes them, but highly recommended if you do any program development.

I made a review of it here.

VectrexMad!

I got mine like a month ago from a fellow retrogamer. he was kind enough to replace all the capacitors inside the box so now there is no buzz :)

quick advice from me (that others said earlier) auto center controller and if possible, test it for more than 30 minutes...

The nice thing about the Vectrex is that, while it's not natively compatible with Sega Genesis controllers, the controllers can be modified to MAKE them compatible with the system. I actually have a Red Octane arcade joystick that they were selling before they went to the dark side (Activision), that I had hacked to make work with the Vectrex. It's bulky as all hell but it gives Vectrex games even more of that arcade flavor.