IGNORED

What are the two-player only Atari 2600 games?

Random Terrain

I know that Super Challenge Football by M Network is a two-player only game, but what are the other ones? [in other words, I'm looking for games that have no single player variations.]

Update:

After checking the manuals for the games posted so far, these are the confirmed two or more player only games:

• Armor Ambush (M Network)
    _
  • Artillery Duel (Xonox)
    _
  • Combat (Atari)
    _
  • Confrontation (Answer Software)
    _
  • Football (Atari)
    _
  • International Soccer (M Network)
    _
  • Party Mix (Starpath)
    _
  • Sea Battle [a.k.a. High Seas] (Intellivision Productions)
    _
  • Sky Diver (Atari)
    _
  • Slot Racers (Atari)
    _
  • Super Challenge Baseball (M Network)
    _
  • Super Challenge Football (M Network)
    _
  • Swordfight (M Network / Intellivision Productions)

(If the game manual says there is a single player variation or that a single player can play the game, even if it's not fun, it still counts.)

If you know of any more games that have no single player variations, please post them here.

Thanks.

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 1

Well, of course you can always play any game by yourself, sort of like you can play card games or chess by yourself in the real world. :) But the ones intended only for two-person play that I can recall are:

Football

Home Run

Air-Sea Battle

Combat

• Like 1

Air-Sea Battle has several one player games. IIRC you use the right controller on those. Games 2 and 4 in Surround are one player only.

Party Mix is multi player only, but it can go up to four players. There are also a few three player games such as BlackJack and GI Joe/Action Force.

xonox artillary duel which is kind of annoying but still more fun to play that alone than chuck norrischuckartil.jpg

i think air sea battle has an option for the computer to control one of the lazerdongs

freeway wants you to have a friend too

i think indy 500 would be that too since what fun is one car time trials?

Edited by bohoki

After checking the manuals for the games posted so far, these are the confirmed two or more player only games:

• Armor Ambush (M Network)
    _
  • Artillery Duel (Xonox)
    _
  • Combat (Atari)
    _
  • Football (Atari)
    _
  • Party Mix (Starpath)
    _
  • Super Challenge Baseball (M Network)
    _
  • Super Challenge Football (M Network)

(If the game manual says there is a single player variation, even if it's not fun, it still counts.)

The following games that were posted are not two or more player only. They have single player variations:

Air-Sea Battle (Atari)

Home Run (Atari)

Outlaw (Atari)

Space War (Atari)

Surround (Atari)

Are there any other games that are for two or more players only according to the manual?

Thanks.

Swordfight (M Network / Intellivision Productions)

Thanks. I either forgot about that game or I didn't even know it existed:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=803

Edited by Random Terrain

Ok, this is cheap but Frontline by Zellers and Maze by Sears may count. The manuals don't SAY there is a one player game variation, but I think Frontline has one (since Combat does) and Maze just doesn't have a manual (or at least not one scanned, and I don't have one), though the box says 2 player and doesn't mention a solo option.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now that I am on topic....Here are a couple two-player only games that you are missing.

Confrontation

International Soccer

(and I'm not sure if you want them but...)

Protos-

Boggle

Combat II

Sea Battle

Thanks. I updated the list in the first post. I'm only including finished prototypes, so Boggle and Combat II are out since they don't seem to be finished.

i think maze craze but i havnt ever played that game one player so yeah, Maze craze

Nope:

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=29

MAZE CRAZE may be played by one player, depending on the game number you're

playing. See GAME VARIATIONS and the GAME SELECT MATRIX to determine whether

anything has to happen to a second player in order for you to exit the maze

and end the game.

I'd still include it in the list. Maze Craze has no strictly one-player variations, because both characters are playable on all game variations. When it says that some "can" be played one player, it just means nobody picks up the second controller (just like Combat or Artillery Duel "can" be played by one player in the same sense).

-DS-

Edited by Raiu

I'd still include it in the list. Maze Craze has no strictly one-player variations, because both characters are playable on all game variations. When it says that some "can" be played one player, it just means nobody picks up the second controller (just like Combat or Artillery Duel "can" be played by one player in the same sense).

One difference is that the manual for Artillery Duel doesn't say that a single player can play. Same for Combat. Another difference is that you're not shooting at the second player in Maze Craze (the second player isn't involved in any way). Unless you are having fun trying to capture the robbers, you're just trying to solve the maze and get out. You can do that with a fully visible maze, partially visible maze, or an invisible maze. If you like to solve mazes, Maze Craze is the game for you.

I updated the first post to say this:

(If the game manual says there is a single player variation or that a single player can play the game, even if it's not fun, it still counts.)