IGNORED

What's the Latest Atari Item You Bought

I basically came across an estate sale worth of stuff. A guy "inherited" bunch of Atari hardware and software from a neighbor who passed away a few years ago. It's all been sitting in this guy's basement for years, so I have to do some work to get it all going again. However, the lot includes a TT030, two Falcons (one works OK, the other less-so), a 1040 STf and a 1040 STe (which is basically going to be a parts donor). Plus books, magazines, parts, boxed DTP and desktop environments. Went and picked all up on Memorial Day and am still sorting through it and cleaning stuff up. All for an obscenely low price of $450. Hoping to get a good MIDI machine put together out of all of this and with the help of mail order.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just made this purchase:

Atari TT030 Computer with Cyrel Sunrise M16-1280 Video Card and with memory upgrades with HD filled with software.

It has an extremely rare Cybercube Research Sunrise M16-1280 Video Card installed.  It also has been upgraded to 10mb of ST RAM and 32mb TT-Fast-RAM.  The 32mb upgrade is a GE Soft Mighty Mic 32 B.  

The TT boots from its Conner 300mb hard drive.  It is filled with tons of TT software.  

It also comes with a 16mb and 4mb TT-RAM working modules. 
A 2mb ST-RAM module is also included
Also, included is an untested TOS 3.06 ROMs.  

The Atari TT030 will come with a power cord.  

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b742de48e2304324864d93ff38143854.jpg
s-l1602.thumb.jpg.eb7c18f362a3b2911e63b43607e69192.jpg
s-l1601.thumb.png.ae753f31a389f201967610359a1bd91b.png
  • Like 3

Not a bad buy.... good luck with the Cyrell card though.  I have one of those and it doesn't always play nice with other software.  Getting it going in Mint in 256 colors has been a bit of an on-off adventure.

Would be curious to see what software was on there, specifically for the Cyrell, but in general.... what treasures may be found there.

Edited by Tillek

33 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Would be curious to see what software was on there, specifically for the Cyrell, but in general.... what treasures may be found there.

It is always fun to root around in what others have done.  It is a beefy machine with 10mg ST ram and 32 mg TT Ram.  I will report back with anything that is more than a curiosity.

56 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

It is always fun to root around in what others have done.  It is a beefy machine with 10mg ST ram and 32 mg TT Ram.  I will report back with anything that is more than a curiosity.

Yeah, actually, I almost bought that one, but I got a similar setup (with that same card) about five years ago for about half that price and just couldn't bring myself to do it.  That's not to say it isn't worth it... especially since we're now in the era of the Thunder Storm and Lightning....   I just got a good deal before the retro-revolution took hold.  The 10mb ST ram is nice though... mine didn't have that.

Hope there is some great stuff on there.

More importantly, I hope you really have fun with it! ;)

14 hours ago, Tillek said:

Yeah, actually, I almost bought that one, but I got a similar setup (with that same card) about five years ago for about half that price and just couldn't bring myself to do it.  That's not to say it isn't worth it... especially since we're now in the era of the Thunder Storm and Lightning....   I just got a good deal before the retro-revolution took hold.  The 10mb ST ram is nice though... mine didn't have that.

Hope there is some great stuff on there.

More importantly, I hope you really have fun with it! ;)

The same guy has another one on eBay, but it only has 4 MB ST ram and 16mb TT ram, no video card. 

Yeah, I am a bit late to the ST retro goodness. I did not want to spend $2,000 for it, but these are extremely hard find that are US versions. This one is even upgraded generously.  So considering the upgrades, video card and how hard they are to find, I thought I had better go for it while I have the money.

• 4 weeks later...

I have little to report on the TT purchase I made as I have not had time to "get into it".

I have booted it.  It  has multi boot software on it with about 30 configurations.  Do not recall the name of the software, but I have not seen it before, which isn't saying much since I only started collecting ST about 3 years ago.

I spent about 20 minutes trying to get the video card to initialize, but no luck yet.  I will try to figure out the multi boot system and add one that includes the Cyrell driver that I got from Exxos' site.

Good question  - but maybe retro computing is not about what buying or similar things.   So, my answer would be: what device, in devices list of popular on market available is what you could purchase is ? Yeah, this is in some way related with why ST was much more  popular in Eu than in US. 

I mean, all what I bought was initiated by simple Tramiel factor - price related with benefit factor.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:19 AM, SoulBuster said:

I have little to report on the TT purchase I made as I have not had time to "get into it".

I have booted it.  It  has multi boot software on it with about 30 configurations.  Do not recall the name of the software, but I have not seen it before, which isn't saying much since I only started collecting ST about 3 years ago.

I spent about 20 minutes trying to get the video card to initialize, but no luck yet.  I will try to figure out the multi boot system and add one that includes the Cyrell driver that I got from Exxos' site.

You got a Cyrell driver from Exxos' site?

... or did we talk about this?

Getting the Cyrell card to boot in regular TOS was easy.  Getting it to boot in MiNT or other configurations with specific other software (very specifically, NVDI, which I'm starting to wonder if that even matters if running a video card as the Cyrell has it's own VDI replacement) ... not so much.

But did you get the actual install disks?  That alone got me working in a "basic" TOS configuration. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought this MegaFile 30 because it has an after market switch install.  I wanted to find out what it was as the owner was unwilling to open it to find out (one of the screws were sealed from a service record in 1993 and he did not want to break it).  I was thinking it could be a power switch for a second HD installed in it (let the first one boot then power the second one as these power supplies are not strong enough for two drives to boot at the same time.).  But alas,  the switch is used to change the ID of the device from 0 to 1.

It has an ST238R (33MB) Hard Drive divided into 3 partitions.  It works good, but has nothing else special about it.  I will review the files on it this weekend, reformat into 1 partition and attach it to a production machine.

s-l1600-A.thumb.jpg.dd70b7c6b42ac32d8eecd05229f67b68.jpg

s-l1600-B.thumb.jpg.f7ca33c66d706094f43fc9cae039e151.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well as some of you might know him around here I picked up Russ Campbell's stuff.

Mega 2 - populated to 4 mb.. Mega2 bottom case with a top with a mega4 badge. it has one of those small Pc PSUs in it.. I have seen the video.. seems to work fine, fits on the tray. ICD ADspeed 16mhz in it. I have not run the software or sysinfo yet. Had a SSDD 354 floppy OUCH! - had to go. I have a Sony 920 around that I put "in" it but of course the cover does not want to fit now without cutting away.  It also had a Viking Video card in it. gives you 1280 x 960 on a ECL monitor (specifically) I am not really interested in going that route with the machine so that card et al will be moving on. This machine required some clean up some shrink wrap some hot glue and its got 1.4 in it, so pretty much go. This has the potential to be my MOD machine. Many more upgrades with DIP CPU than PLCC.

1040 STE - with 4mb, an exxos TOS switcher. This is not a collectors items.. lol.. Top case from a different machine. changed badge, but that cover is still broken, but good "enough". The MB was SCORCHED.. at the jumper for the TOS.. several traces were destroyed. There was also an attempted repair that was incorrect. I first had to figure out what the repair was trying to do.. then removed it. Then started following the logic.. found the traces where they were going and made the appreite jumper connections. Header pins on TOS switcher were also badly butchered, so removed damaged sections and solded in new pins.  Machine fired up.. seems to be working now. A win!

Retro Fun Ultra Satan -  did not get a psu for it, but those are easy to find 5v 1amp. With 16gb sandisk microSD.. so thats good. This will install internal in the Mega4. NetUSBee (Lotharek) not tested yet. 

One colour 1224 and one mono 124 monitor - Already had these, and I use NEC lcd screens now.. so really only want 1 just to test machines. - need to find homes.

A bunch of commercial software - Some interesting things is a Deskcart! (now have 2) a Backpack cartridge - almost the same as Deskcart! but no battery backup. Both work - I think the Backpack cartridge might only work on certain TOS as I was not able to get it to work on the STE. A hardware freezer - that allows you to dump commercial software and run a backup through the cartridge - it must be present to run hooks into cart port and video connection.

Some 300+ floppy disks - a lot are old ST magazine cover disks repurposed. MOST have little of nothing of value. There was a number of nice software titles that most likely I could get dumps of already online.. but I will go through them and see if there is anything I can contribute to Atarimania. 

A small lot of 8-bit stuff. a 600xl upgraded (still needs RF out) 1050 with minispeedy - not tested but I am pretty sure it works. Atarimax sio2usb dual(sio in out)  Basic XE and Action! carts to go with my Basic XL. I want to learn how to program again.. I really am a hardware guy.. little software skills. A couple of boxes of 5.25 floppies with stuff on them.. almost no commercial software. One of the boxes is an INDUS GT carry case! I have INDUS drive.. now I have the carry case.  :)

• Like 1

Tower Case to set up SyQuest 44 Drive, CD ROM and 5 Hard Drives. $75

4 1 Gig thoroughly tested Hard Drives (not for the Tower Case)  I will use these in existing enclosures and move those drives to the Tower Case. $45 ea.

9 Syquest 44 Disks. approx. $6 each.  I use these to transfer files between Ataris and for archiving storage (I have about 50 of them).  And they are cheap.

CaseA.thumb.jpg.68c936fad144261ddc8605306602f29c.jpgCaseB.thumb.jpg.a2a12944fc30cf0582c67100d68681e8.jpg

1GIGDrive.thumb.jpg.a7e6928519a57cc87b9f7997b34cd6bf.jpg

SyquestA.thumb.jpg.c728a89310ed5f7b4c8bda0d90cba07f.jpgSyquestB.thumb.jpg.d581bdb75958e79d46adeecb2535971b.jpg

Edited by SoulBuster
Typo

Got a good start on the Tower case for SCSI devices.  Need to add hard drives, but I am waiting for some 3.5 to 5.25 adapters.  That is a Windows XP CD in the CD Drive.  Over 600 megs.  I guess I need the CD ROM suite to read it as a drive.  It does show up though.  You can see the full tower in my previous post.

20190926_183913.thumb.jpg.ac8424780b8174c0003d32c99d6ba01c.jpg

20190926_184900_HDR.thumb.jpg.03e7698a6b2a00f2248d940de585a477.jpg

I bought a 520ST (external Power Supply), SF354 Single sided Floppy and SF314 Double sided Floppy. All for Parts, so not expecting them to work.

The ST did not boot but did have power.  I will look closer this weekend.

The SF354 works like a champ.

The SF314 has different power connection than my other SF314 and the SF354.  I have a power supply with the male connector, I need one that has a female connector.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought, but haven't received yet, the STE I've been waiting 30 years for!

I bought it from the U.K. and am going to convert it to a U.S. model, or as close as I can get.

It's a plain 520STE, so I've already ordered 4MB and an original 4160STE upgrade case badge for it. I plan to replace the drive with a Gotek and install one Exxos' STE Dual TOS upgrades with U.S. TOS 1.62 and 2.06. Then, depending on whether or not it has the faulty DMA chip, I'll probably look into picking up one of Lotharek's Ultrasatan drives. Then I'll look into selling off the original 520ST, 1040STF and the two SC1224 mointors I've had for awhile.

I can't wait to get started!

• 3 weeks later...

An additional Short ST with a tweety board in working order.  Top case was cracked.

Replacement Case for the above (NOS)

An SF354 not working

Mega ST Motherboard (NOS)

3 sets of TOS 1.04 6 chips (Atari originals NOS) for the Short STs and one STF.  The short STs are probably TOS 1.0 and Sysinfo would not run on them. The STF had 1.02.

1 set of TOS 1.04 2 chips 28 pins (Atari originals NOS)
Floppy Power Supply with Male connector (all that I had were female)

3 4MB upgrades for the two Short STs and an STF including witcdhes to go from 4MB to 1MB.

• 2 months later...