IGNORED

What was your first Intellivision game?

Rev

The original pack-in: Poker & Blackjack. I'm not sure what games we got for Christmas along w/ the system. I think NBA Basketball and Horse Racing... maybe Auto Racing. Great stuff - the whole family sat around our console TV and played all those games to death.

My brother, sister and I pooled our money together and bought Astrosmash not too far afterwards, that was it for me. Huge Inty fan ever since.

Summer 1980, Poker & Black Jack of course.

Also Space battle, Auto Racing and MLB.

MLB is STILL the best video baseball game I have ever played!

My brother and I would play for hours. Basically, the first hit with less than 2 outs would win.

Steal 2nd and third and basically sacrifice home.

I kinda like picking the correct fielder myself. Not some computer controlled crap!

Plus.... YERRRRRR OUT!

Gene

Summer 1980, Poker & Black Jack of course.

Also Space battle, Auto Racing and MLB.

MLB is STILL the best video baseball game I have ever played!

My brother and I would play for hours. Basically, the first hit with less than 2 outs would win.

Steal 2nd and third and basically sacrifice home.

I kinda like picking the correct fielder myself. Not some computer controlled crap!

Plus.... YERRRRRR OUT!

Gene

I agree, I used to play this for hours with my buddies as a kid and love playing World Championship BBall now since my 5 yr old son isn't quite ready to challenge me.icon_mrgreen.gif

I got my Intellivision pre-owned in the late '80s with a few games included. I got Armor Battle, Night Stalker, NBA Basketball, MLB Baseball, Poker & Blackjack, Astrosmash, Star Strike, Space Armada, Donkey Kong, and Demon Attack. I think my brother and I played Demon Attack the most, although we enjoyed Armor Battle a lot too. I picked up a bunch of games at an electronics discounter sometime in the late '80s or very early '90s (maybe even 1990). I got Vectron, Utopia (with French/English instructions), Snafu (with German instructions), and a few others. We played Utopia all the time and it's still one of my favorite games for the Intellivision.

I got my Intellivision pre-owned in the late '80s with a few games included. I got Armor Battle, Night Stalker, NBA Basketball, MLB Baseball, Poker & Blackjack, Astrosmash, Star Strike, Space Armada, Donkey Kong, and Demon Attack. I think my brother and I played Demon Attack the most, although we enjoyed Armor Battle a lot too. I picked up a bunch of games at an electronics discounter sometime in the late '80s or very early '90s (maybe even 1990). I got Vectron, Utopia (with French/English instructions), Snafu (with German instructions), and a few others. We played Utopia all the time and it's still one of my favorite games for the Intellivision.

We're playing Demon Attack in the INTV High Score Club right now...although some of us are playing rather poorly.icon_mrgreen.gif I swear I was good at this as a kid.icon_ponder.gif

Snafu.

I would love to see a homebrew sequel someday, with power-ups (long/short snake, snake that can shoot, snake that can go through walls) achieved by encircling certain letters like F for fire, S for shorter snake, W for going through walls, etc. Also, maybe warp holes would transport you elsewhere on the screen. Just some ideas to throw around.

Snafu.

I would love to see a homebrew sequel someday, with power-ups (long/short snake, snake that can shoot, snake that can go through walls) achieved by encircling certain letters like F for fire, S for shorter snake, W for going through walls, etc. Also, maybe warp holes would transport you elsewhere on the screen. Just some ideas to throw around.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 1/29/2010 at 8:27 PM, Rev said:

Mine was either Popeye or Pitfall.We got both games at the same time.follwed by Donkey Kong and a bunch of imagic games including microsurgeon.

I can’t remember my first game as I was 4 lol... our first system we got from a friend of my fathers who got it and didn’t play it... so we got a few with that. Then I had many... 

• Like 1

When we bought the system for Christmas 81 we got NFL (brother's pick) and Space Battle (my pick).  My parents wrapped it and hid it in their closet.  My brother and I would carefully unwrap it everyday and play it then rewrap it and put it back.  They were quite impressed Christmas morning that we knew how to hook it up and instantly knew how to play the football game without reading the instructions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, intellivotion said:

my first games were Armor Battle, which I found in the Master Component box, and Ice Trek, which my parents bought together with the console in a store called Regalgioca in Italy.

I still remember the joy of that day! Something only a kid can experience

My system came with Armor Battle too. 

The first game I bought after that was Sub Hunt.

The first Intellivision game that I played at all was probably Boxing at a store display. ;) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Intymike said:

My system came with Armor Battle too. 

The first game I bought after that was Sub Hunt.

The first Intellivision game that I played at all was probably Boxing at a store display. ;) 

fun fact: the Armor Battle I found in the Master Component box had the instruction manual in German... Panzermanöver, IIRC

p.s.: obviously, I still have it :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, intellivotion said:

fun fact: the Armor Battle I found in the Master Component box had the instruction manual in German... Panzermanöver, IIRC

And mine was English, because my master component was an import from the UK.

For some time I thought there were only english instructions for Intellivision games because my next 2 games, Sub Hunt and Star Strike also came with it.

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 1

Let's see ... Once in a while I try to make sense of events during my childhood, but it's hard to place them correctly in a timeline when there aren't many concrete timely cues to tie them in.  I had a rather carefree, sheltered, and enjoyable childhood, so didn't really pay much attention to the world around me, and it appears that my parents didn't take pictures of us kids on Christmas morning, so we have no record of the toys we got other than our own personal memories.

Still, there are a few events that help anchor some events ...

I remember going with my Grandfather to the local stereo/video/electronics store to purchase an Intellivision during the summer school break.  That is a fact.  Since the Intellivision was still fresh and largely unknown -- and I remember myself being very young -- I tend to think that we bought our Master Component on its launch year, in the summer of 1980.  I was 9 years old.

The Master Component came with the pack-in game, Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, so there's no question about that being one of my very first titles; but I believe we also bought one, perhaps two, along with it.  I know that eventually I had Tennis, chosen by my Grandfather, who was an avid Tennis player; and Star Strike, chosen by me because I had Star Wars-mania.  I recall these being some of my earlier titles, but neither was available in the summer of 1980.

This is where it gets complicated.  I played that first batch of games many times over, mostly because they were all I had for several months.  So, the fact that I played a lot of Blackjack in those days (which is certainly not in my 9-year-old list of interests) suggests that I did not own any of the favorites which later cemented my love for the console.

I know that Star Strike is one of my favorite games (because, Star Wars!!!), so my preference to it could be clouding my memory.  However, Tennis I only had because of my Grandfather, and it seems unlikely that I would have built early childhood memories for it if there were any other games to overshadow it (as I know happened later on).  I mean, honestly, once I got some space and arcade games, I wouldn't go back to play any sports games at all.

Something is not quite right here, then.

In order to account for Tennis as one of my first games (as I recall it), we need to correct the timeline by moving it a year forward.  This places the Intellivision purchase during the summer break of 1981, when I was 10 years old.  Either that, or we did buy it on 1980 with an additional non-Tennis game, and got Tennis by the end of the year, on my birthday.  Either way seems plausible, but I have little else that points to a definitive answer.

So, we have two alternative timelines:

• Bought Intellivision on 1980:
    • Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack
    • Space Battle

• Bought Intellivision on 1981:
    • Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack
    • Tennis
    • Space Battle

The latter seems to fit closer with my recollection:  Poker came with the console, my Grandfather chose Tennis, and I chose the space title.  That feels right.

Ah ... such memories. :)

-dZ.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Wasn't everyone's first game Poker & Blackjack?

:)

Ours was MLB Baseball!  Followed by SNAFU & SKIING I believe.

That was only a pack in game in the USA. ;) 

In Europe it was more likely to be Triple Action or Soccer. 

Good friend of mine got the Intellivision consolle with AD&D Cloudy Mountains and Tron DD: with such a magic start, with probably two of the best games ever made, we spent hours and hours playing them.

Still today, more than 40 years after, I enjoy big time playing them and never get bored.

And in few years, I will initiate my daughter and son to the same games!

• Like 1

Ooo, Necrothread! ?

My first Intellivision (which was actually only the second-ever system I acquired after I "officially" got into collecting in the late '90s, after my Odyssey 2) was my Sylvania system with a dozen-odd CIB games I bought off one of my brother's friends when I was 13 or 14:

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Sea Battle

Space Battle

MLB Baseball

Checkers

Frog Bog

Sub Hunt

Skiing

Triple Action

Bomb Squad

Space Spartans

Stampede

Donkey Kong

Bowling and/or Golf might have been in there too, but I'm a little fuzzy on those.

My first Intellivision game was either Baseball, Astrosmash, Triple Action, or Armor Battle.  I am sure we played Poker & Blackjack the same day but it would not have been the first.

It was my Grandfather's console (he got it to play with a neighbor friend) so the game collection was whatever he had bought.  Thus it is difficult to be sure what game I played first since he already owned several games the first time I played it.

• Like 1