IGNORED

Outside opinions on a questionable eBay request

famicommander

I recently bought a small Intellivision lot on eBay, and shipping was listed as $9.95. After I won the item, I paid immediately through Paypal. The total cost was $30.50.

The seller shipped the item this morning, and she claims it cost more than her calculator said it would to ship and wants me to cover the extra cost. I refused.

I mean, how can I be expected to pay more because it cost more to ship than she told me it would? When a seller lists a certain cost for shipping, that's what the buyer should pay. I bid on that item under the pretense that the shipping would be 9.95. I've already paid what the shipping was supposed to cost, and I paid the auction total. Now it's her responsiblity to get the item to me.

What do you guys think? I found it shady that she would even ask me to send her more money than I already won the auction for. Especially outside of eBay.

Just ignore the request. I've had this happen and if they request it more than once I just respond with "Paid in full via PayPal on [date] in accordance with shipping terms detailed in auction listing #xxxx." Terse, kinda legalistic-sounding, seems to do the trick.

Sorry, that's the seller's fault for not doing the work up front to properly calculate the shipping charges, or by not using eBay's own built-in shipping calculator that allows the buyer to calculate shipping based on his or her location. I'd just ignore the request. That would be like Amazon.com writing me after I bought an item stating, "Uhh, hey, it cost us another $5.00 to ship that heavy item than we thought--can we please hit your credit card up for that amount?"

..Al

Agreed, I've done the same thing in the past. That is asked for a certain amount for shipping, and it wound up costing me more. I just eat the extra cost. It's not the buyers fault I screwed up.

Yep, I've eaten additional shipping costs on numerous occasions. It's not that big of a deal, you just move on and try to be more accurate in the future! I don't think this happens very often on eBay these days, since most sellers inflate their shipping costs as much as they can get away with.

..Al

Agreed, your responsibilities are over, especially since she already shipped it. I've taken a hit as has pretty much everyone at one time or another. I sold a couple of big items last year and put high shipping on the auction but clearly stated I was guessing on the shipping and if it was more I would cover it but if I overcharged by more than $2 I would refund the difference.

People bid with the shipping price in mind. In a perfect setting had her shipping been listed $5 higher the bid would also have been bid $5 lower.

For this reason I feel the seller should stick with the shipping as it was listed in the auction. However,I also feel that if the shipping was over cost and it is clearly listed the buyer can't complain and should also deal what it. Many people don't see it both ways. Somehow if the shipping is higher than cost the seller was out to rip them off and they will fight tooth and nail AFTER the auction is over to get it reduced yet would these same people offer to shell out the extra buck if shipping was listed too low? I doubt it.

This is what I sent her:

I bid on the system under the pretense that shipping was $9.95. I don't see how I should be expected to pay extra because of an error on eBay's part or your part, and I think it's highly inappropriate that you would even ask.

I don't mean to come off as angry or upset at you, because I'm not. As long as the item works when it gets here I'll be happy to report positive feedback. But in short, I will not make any extra payments. Especially outside of eBay. I won the item at the listed price, shipping included, and as a seller it's your responsibility to make sure it gets to me.

And her response:

Wow, you are about the rudest Ebayer ever. I've come across this problem many times over the last 10 years both as a bidder and seller. I don't expect anything from you it was simply a request based on an honest mistake. I have over 1000 positive feedbacks, I don't need you to remind me what my responsibilities are on Ebay, especially since you have a feedback score of 2! You package was shipped today, Parcel Post expect it in 5-9 business days.

The above is a perfect example of why I prefer the marketplace forums here and on Neo-Geo.com. eBay blows.

This is what I sent her:

I bid on the system under the pretense that shipping was $9.95. I don't see how I should be expected to pay extra because of an error on eBay's part or your part, and I think it's highly inappropriate that you would even ask.

I don't mean to come off as angry or upset at you, because I'm not. As long as the item works when it gets here I'll be happy to report positive feedback. But in short, I will not make any extra payments. Especially outside of eBay. I won the item at the listed price, shipping included, and as a seller it's your responsibility to make sure it gets to me.

And her response:

Wow, you are about the rudest Ebayer ever. I've come across this problem many times over the last 10 years both as a bidder and seller. I don't expect anything from you it was simply a request based on an honest mistake. I have over 1000 positive feedbacks, I don't need you to remind me what my responsibilities are on Ebay, especially since you have a feedback score of 2! You package was shipped today, Parcel Post expect it in 5-9 business days.

The above is a perfect example of why I prefer the marketplace forums here and on Neo-Geo.com. eBay blows.

Based on her request and response I reckon this is now a 'neutral' feedback ebay transaction.

It's her problem and she has to wear it.

90% or more auctions have way more postage/handling than would be regarded as being fair, so she should have just inflated her asking price.

I've also had to wear additional cost over what I thought (as a seller). Sucks, but it's bad business to just suddenly turn around after a deal has been done and ask for more money.

I'd +1 the advice to just ignore it. The other thing to consider is that just because someone has said they've sent an item, doesn't mean it's actually on the way.

Edited by Rybags

This is EXACTLY why I ignore this sort of request; I just pretend I never saw the email. Any response escalates the situation and the minute you tell people they are "inappropriate" and talk about their "responsibility" you can expect to get the exact response that you received. I always just assume any seller or buyer I deal with is nutso and work from there. Minimal communication, terse all-business messages when called for, and that's it. Never make it personal on eBay--it's a recipe for disaster.

Based on her request and response I reckon this is now a 'neutral' feedback ebay transaction.

I might actually leave a negative over that.

..Al

• Like 2

I might actually leave a negative over that.

..Al

Then she might negative me.

Seller can't leave negative feedback for buyer any longer so you don't have to worry about retaliatory negative.

Hahaha.. Typical scumbag-seller response. That's golden!! :P

In my book, that would definitely constitute negative feedback. If they are going to be like that to you, there's no telling how often they are like that to other customers. Leave it as a heed of warning for future buyers (And laugh about it while enjoying your newly-purchased Intellivision! :)).

Oh yeah.. When you get the package, let us know how much the shipping actually was. I'm curious now..

Edited by Austin

Hahaha.. Typical scumbag-seller response. That's golden!! :P

In my book, that would definitely constitute negative feedback. If they are going to be like that to you, there's no telling how often they are like that to other customers. Leave it as a heed of warning for future buyers (And laugh about it while enjoying your newly-purchased Intellivision! :)).

Oh yeah.. When you get the package, let us know how much the shipping actually was. I'm curious now..

I'm guessing a couple of bucks - max $5

Just ignore the request. I've had this happen and if they request it more than once I just respond with "Paid in full via PayPal on [date] in accordance with shipping terms detailed in auction listing #xxxx." Terse, kinda legalistic-sounding, seems to do the trick.

Honestly, if you (OP) had replied at all, I would have made it something like the above, that way it won't invoke the emotionally charged response you got. If it did, you can know it wasn't anything you said.

I also agree with phaxda on the premise of starting from the point that anyone you deal with on ebay (or CraigsList or anywhere else) is nuttier than a Snickers bar and go from there. I swear 75% of the time, the party you deal with on either is bonkers.

• Like 1

wouldn't it have been easier for the seller to have weighed the sale items together in a box (add about 1 kilo for add. packaging) and phone up the local post office and ask for how much it will cost for posting this parcel at xx kilo's to where ever it was going

Or is that just too simple or are people on ebay too darn bloody lazy

That would be my primary motivation right there, especially without having to worry about retaliatory negative feedback. I've bought many hundreds of items on eBay over the years and have never had someone ask me for additional money to help cover shipping.

"Seller asked for more money to cover shipping after I paid! Was rude when I said no!"

..Al